Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. I would be worried that I would beat the crap out of my bow trying move around the tree to get a shot.

2. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As soon as you see a deer you take the bow out of the holder. It actually is really easy to do

dnoodles and oldnotdead like this.
  3. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, if you're interested in learning even more about saddle hunting, feel free to join our Facebook group called Saddle Up! (it'll be the one with the cover picture of a saddle hunter, not the one with the pole dancers at a nightclub, LOL) https://www.facebook.com/groups/361202804590701/

We've got a growing group of experienced saddle hunters participating in there, and we do a big giveaway usually valued over $300 periodically to keep it fun and lively... We're just about to start up another one in the next day or two.

Also, my cover story for the June issue of Petersen's Bowhunting is still available to read at bowhuntingmag.com... if you go to that page, you'll have to scroll down a bit but you'll come across all the saddle-hunting articles shortly afterwards.

S.McArthur and virginiashadow like this.
  4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    AD6064DC-EBEB-4E01-9A7F-32B9D0CF1F65.jpeg First field test, 5min from ground to tethered in, I’m getting better, still need to be quicker getting the sticks on the tree. I’ve been up in this tree for about 30min now and it’s surprisingly comfortable, I’m just hanging on my top stick for now until my platform gets here in the year 2045.

cantexian likes this.
  5. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Roperman 1 or Prusik for tether?
    Anyone use the ropeman one rather than the prusik? I am having a hard time getting my brain to accept the prusik is safe, it's odd, I have no issues with anything other than that little piece of string. I know it is good, but I cannot get confident in it when I'm doing funky hanging off the platform shots.

6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Curious, what are you using? I'm using 9mm and feel very safe. I use my ropeman on my lineman. Then a prusik and carabiner on the bridge and my tether

7. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    6mm that comes on the Tethrd tether rope. I'm sure it's fine, I just can't seem to get my brain to accept it. I've hung off the back at ground height and felt fine, yet at hunting height my brain says "this ain't right". Might just need to keep flipping around in the saddle and force my brain to accept it.'t
    I may try the ropeman and see if that eases my brain. I've rappelled out of helicopters, jumped out of airplanes, but don't trust this little knot for some reason.

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got to remember it's basically 2 ropes. I believe the pursic knot has a higher rating then a ropeman 1. I could be wrong. I personally like having the pursic on my tether and I do use a ropeman on my lines man. Also just tie off the tail of your tether to the biner on your bridge for backup. Then if anything failed, that would stop you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I need the one handed operation when I’m climbing. When I need to adjust the lineman’s rope, it REALLY needs adjusting quick. My bridge and tether, not so much. I’m just getting settled in and comfy. I’ve never doubted the Prusik. When I had it on the lineman’s rope, I’d cuss it wishing it would chill out a little. Mfer was always on lock down when I needed it on slide up

10. Buckeye Bowhunter

Buckeye Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m using the ropeman 1 on my tether. Aurohunter tether. I used the prusik for half of last year before getting my hands on a couple ropemans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yous guys is still using sticks? huh

morpheus.gif

slickbilly-d likes this.
  12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I truly believe it may just be a confidence thing and I need to spend some time maybe at ground height twisting and turning in the saddle to train my brain. I like the idea of the ropeman for the tether, but I have found once I find my "sweet spot" to tie in, that is where it stays, no need to speed adjust.
    I have the ropeman on my lineman belt and that is extremely helpful, the quick on the fly adjustment fits the usage here, not so much on my tehter from what I gather even though many use the ropeman on the tether.
    I watched that video, no way I'm throwing crap around in the dark trying to find a branch and air humping my way up a tree, looks like way too much effort to get up a tree. I could have been up a tree twice in the amount of time it takes to DRT. Personal opinion, if it works for other, so be it.

13. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a ropeman 1 on both my lineman and tether. They're a gamechanger for me in terms of functionality.

14. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn’t take it, had to do something hunting related, so I painted my sticks. [​IMG]

cantexian and Holt like this.
  15. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get it, I don't see anything?

My predator platform should be here today/tomorrow, debating painting it and my sticks, not that it will matter either way. I may put a couple coats of tan/OD on them.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  16. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my saddle, it's a Kestrel. I use a Ropeman #1 on both my tether and linesman. I also use a LW climber seat for my climbing device and platform. This is my second year. Shot a coyote from it last year.

Swamp Stalker and cantexian like this.
  17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing some ground level testing, I hung upside down and twisted every way possible while upside down, I have confidence in the prusik knot now. I also did some knot research and understand how the prusik is tied and it's capabilities.
    My predator platform got here last Wednesday and I'm glad I chose to spend the money on one designed by tethrd, its a pretty nice piece of equipment.
    I'm almost ready to go, a few minor equipment details to work out and I'll be ready for the opener.
    I showed a few friends the setup as well, they like most of us were skeptical of the saddle but after sitting and getting a quick overview, they saw why the saddle is a good addition to their hunting arsenal.

cantexian, oldnotdead and Holt like this.
  18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Might have to make the saddle jump next season.

Berwickbuckmaster and cantexian like this.
  19. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks cool, I'm tempted to try but my balance isnt the best, it seems like there is alot of movement compared to a stable ladder stand.
    Of course, I doubt that thing squeaks like my ladders whenever you climb up.

20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The JX-3 looks amazingly comfy.....I'm VERY interested in that one. But weighing 10 pounds by itself would get me to the same weight I'm carrying in now.