Chainsaw upgrade

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Fix, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I'll be purchasing a new saw in a few weeks. I only use Stihl so what model does everyone like. I think I'm between the wood boss and farm boss. I will be using it for habitat. Fire wood as well but we have a primary saw for that. I'm looking for a saw that's medium sized and balanced.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a pro series saw like an 044. You want a saw with a driver rather than just a clutch sprocket. You will not regret spending a few extra $ to get a much more durable and higher performance saw.

Ebaybow and Fix like this.
  3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been rocking an MS290 for the last 10 years and have yet to have a problem with it other than changing the bar out a couple of times, normal stuff. The last time I was in the shop I was getting all giddy on one of the pro series but mine is just fine.

Fix likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the ms 241. It's a pro saw and small. But for the weight and power, it is a beast! I love mine and is pretty much my go to saw. From factory it only recommend a 16" bar max. The secret to this saw is the smaller Pico chain. Little less kerf, so it cuts faster then a standard 3/8 chain. They also make the ms261 which is slightly more motor. Also as a pro saw it has the auto tune carb, so no adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a farm boss, think-its a 5271. Anyway it’s been solid and trouble free. Has plenty of balls too....

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  6. Jeckolame

Jeckolame Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends on how much you cut, if you are cutting 4 cords or more of wood a pro series saw is worth the investment, if you are just trimming branches or cutting a little wood, a girl's saw is just fine.

oldnotdead likes this.
  8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awe man now I have to make Sota proud

Sota likes this.
  9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell you what an 044 with a 20" bar, you dog that saw into an oak and you will not bog that saw down no matter how hard you push.

10. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the MS 361 and my brother has the MS 026, both are pro saws. His is a little lighter and has a 16" bar while I use 20" bars (I don't like bending over). Both cut like hell won't have it. To be clear, I also have an Echo pole chainsaw and a Stihl MS 017 that I inherited from my dad. My go to saw is the 361.

11. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For limbing and clearing I have a 170 that is nice and light, doesn't wear you out using it at shoulder height when cutting branches and ladder trees to clear areas for better hunting visibility and fire hazard.
    For putting up firewood I just have a farm boss 290 (20" bar). It is ok, but it will bog out if you lean into it much.
    I will back up Sota's remark, every time I use my 290 I wish I had picked up an old 044 for my firewood cutting. I've ran several of them over the years and those suckers just flat cut. High revving and you can run the rakers pretty short and it'll still not bog. They'll make two cuts to one over my 290.
    For a "medium sized and balanced" saw, I'd say the Wood Boss and Farm Boss both meet that description, whichever one you want to go with. My 290 basically fits that description too, it is definitely a medium saw in comparison to a 441 .
    I like to run a semi-skip tooth, nice balance between cutting decent but not so many teeth to sharpen.

Okiebob and Fix like this.
  12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have quite a few. Perks of a father in-law that owns a large outdoor power equipment store. He has sold every major line over the years and I’ve gotten several that came in on consignment for great deals. I have two 017’s that I keep in back of the truck and garage for small stuff, an 029 that I’ve used for years, and most recently I got a Husqvarna 562xp.

The difference between that new 562 and the other saws is night and day. I’d highly recommend at least trying a Husqvarna before you spend the money. The power to weight, higher RPM’s, and lack of vibration compared to similar sized Stihl models is noticeably better IMO.

Shocker99 likes this.
  13. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't commenton Stihl models, as I've been a Jonsered owner throughout the years. Stihl just seems blocky, clunky, etc. to me the few times I've used them.

But, will reiterate what others are saying for spending the extra money on professional grade equipment. Woth it in every way.

14. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Farm Boss and got a smaller MS 170 16” for trimming and smaller stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tv

Lol the hubby thought he was buying me a girls saw when he got me my stihl pruner....little did he know!

16. Ebaybow

Ebaybow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The 290 is a poor choice. It has poor filtration and weighs as much as the 70cc pro saws. Look at 038m, ms380 and 044 saws. An 026 would be a good choice, too!

17. HillviewHuntClub

HillviewHuntClub Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only saw I own is a dewalt flex volt battery saw and it sure has some balls and doesn’t make a sound. for limbing and clearing shooting lanes it’s awesome and light. Has a 16” bar. Really surprised me as I was skeptical. Can’t say much on the stihl saws as I don’t own one.

Hillview Hunt Club

18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well for being a poor choice it has been a great saw for over ten years. I'm not a pro lumberjack and probably cut two cords a year and any storm damage we have throughout the year. Two or three pulls and it fires up and goes to work.

19. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A magazine had a review of a couple of battery saws. Good reviews for trimming, small jobs, etc., plus they are quiet.

20. leastbay

leastbay Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Echo CS590