Hunting industry becoming insincere?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, May 30, 2019.

1. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And right here in this very thread, we have guys that have hunted for years that actually believe "scent control" works....
    To shun the industry because it's all BS...yet, fall for one of the biggest fallacies to ever hit the whitetail woods. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried, lol.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto.
    I hunt for me, because I like the challenge and really like processing my own meat. Making jerky, sausage, etc. is dang near as fun as hunting.
    I find a bow I like and generally keep it for quite some time. Had my last bow for over 10 years. The "newest" one is a 2014 left over that I bought in late 2015. If it meets my criteria and I shoot it well...well, that's all that's needed isn't it?

Sota likes this.
  3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

CrispySmurf and Shane0709 like this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    There comes a point where carrying on the argument is nothing more than a waste of time. Tit for tat, back and forth, until nothing has been accomplished.

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  5. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think he has a valid point. Instead of learning about the outdoors, learning about hunting and the wildlife we hunt, most shows are about business and marketing.

Most are full of talentless businessman who are really Walmart level hunters with money. Every 5 years or so I get sick if it and start talking to trad guys.

I do like your show Justin, but maybe a little humility? You don't have hunting figured out because you can run a business. The Wisconsin public land episodes prove that haha . Dont get salty now..

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

CrispySmurf and Shane0709 like this.
  6. HardLuckLarry

HardLuckLarry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started watching hunting videos to learn more about the sport, and I don't mind commercials, but more shows have become infomercials with short blurbs of folks hunting. Very annoying and BORING!

Lately, I've been watching hunting videos on youtube and have really grown to appreciate the folks on The Hunting Public, which is a team of hunters that hunt mostly on public land. I've learned a LOT from THP in just a few weeks. For one thing, a lot of their hunts end with failing to get anything, which is nigh unheard of in hunting infomercials. In these episodes, they talk about the mistakes they made, conditions that changed during their hunts, deer behavior, filming tactics, and more. Good stuff.

RedBeardNP and Shocker99 like this.
  7. HardLuckLarry

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part, I can't afford anything the hunting product pushers offer, as they are priced too high IMHO. The only thing I recall purchasing following one of these adverts was a squirrel call that wasn't ridiculously over-priced. I don't use it much, as I do better with a squirrel cutting nuts sound made with a washer or coin rubbed across the threads of a medium-sized bolt.

The other day, I watched a pretty good video talking about archer form, but they were telling viewers about how EVERYBODY wants one of their company's fancy schmancy archery releases. I looked up these releases they were selling and it turns out they were $200 bucks! NO THANK YOU! The release I am using right now works just fine and cost $25. I'd rather put that much towards a new compound bow..it would improve things more for me than that release.

8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard of the squirrel call with the bolt. I sit under a tree and act like a nut. To call in rabbits, I hide behind a tree and make a noise like a carrot. Anyway, thanks for the info. Need to try it.

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Money doesn’t grow on trees. Anything you watch on TV or internet or publication you read has to be funded by......advertisements? I hear people whine about the commercialization of the outdoor industry, and don’t get me wrong, a lot of it is waaaaayyyy too far gone. But if you think about it as a positive, in a world where hunter and fisherman numbers are dwindling, at least the commercialized industry is keeping us on the map. One day I fear being a hunter will be as common as being a Trapper.....(scary). When I watch or read these shows or magazines I know damn well that the products being pushed or talked about might not be the preference of said person. To the idiots that fall for the gimmicks, we’ll shame on them. To me I know they’re just paying the bills. It’s up to the viewer or reader to sift through the content. And if there is too much advertisement and product pushing and not any substance then it’s simple. I won’t watch.

HardLuckLarry likes this.
  10. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    dont forget to lay all those things on your deer for the photos

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stand. Bow. Arrows. Kill.

Cannon06 and vermontwhitetail like this.
  12. HardLuckLarry

Dislikes Received:
    It works best after shooting a squirrel (you need to wait a bit after shooting the squirrel before using this call). Others begin to think that all is clear when they hear that noise.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  13. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

14. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    its been headed this way for years. The shows are canned ,if you get five minutes of hunting its a lot. All commercial with logos shining brightly. Fishing shows are the same way. All about the selling product.

HardLuckLarry likes this.
  15. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did it ever occur that those logos on the boats, trucks and shirts tell us what they are getting for free or getting paid to show? Pro bass anglers change their line after every day...I would too if I got miles of line for free! Golfers wear hats with logos and get paid for wearing them.

HardLuckLarry and pick00l like this.
  16. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tried a few shows many years ago, Didn,t like em then still don,t ! Haven,t watched a hunting style show for so long I can,t remember. First their all commercials. Second most are so fake, Third, many are canned or fenced hunts, fourth, who says who is an expert ??? Or do the just need to be pretty ? Fifth, Who the hell cares to watch somebody else hunt ?? I hunt to please myself, Not watch somebody else please themselves. I think NIKE said it---JUST DO IT !!!

17. HardLuckLarry

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind watching people hunt, but I want to learn something when doing it, NOT hear about the latest, greatest product that will make all your hunting dreams come true. This is why I recommended The Hunting Public youtube channel in a previous post...these folks film even their failed hunts because a good hunter learns from failure (they say this all the time). Last night, in fact, I was watching one of these videos where one of the guys was hunting with a muzzleloader. He totally missed a nice buck at 150 yards. What did he say? He said that day was a success because he got to take a shot. Awesome attitude. I have learned so much from these guys.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    RedBeardNP likes this.
  18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    These guys really are doing it right. Love their personalities. Totally laid back.

BB1 and HardLuckLarry like this.
  19. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the frustration with the year to year changing advertising on high end expensive equipment. I also understand the need for advertising during hunting web and television shows.

In the end we all need to understand that the web and tv shows are entertainment. Entertainment that will have advertising. I personally don't listen to much advertising. I know what I like, I shop around when I don't and I make my own informed decisions reference purchases. I love the Bow Hunt or Die web show and I watch several other web or television shows on (free) youtube. I stopped buying hunting videos years ago. I shoot Bear Bows, Easton or Beman Arrows, Trophy Ridge Sights, Rip Cord Drop Aways or Whisker Biscuits. That's what I like to use. I just switched from Beman to Easton, Whisker to RipCord and Muzzy Fixed to NAP Killzone this year, not because of any advertising but because I chose to upgrade due to effectiveness and/or price. I'll probably stick with the same set up for 5-10 years unless there is an equipment failure, advertising won't change what I feel I need to be successful.

20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao: