Team 2 - The Double Deuces

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by alenhard15, Aug 26, 2019.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what area of PA ? Im in Lancaster county 5B

2. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    CHECKING IN

S.McArthur and Western MA Hunter like this.
  3. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!!!

Adam
    Matthews Traverse 29/70#
    CBE Tek Hybrid
    Hamskea Hunter pro
    Dead center dead level stabilizer kit 8-6
    Carbon express maxima red SD badlands 350 spine -460gr including bh
    100g Slick Trick Viper trick

4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been listening to nothing but wired to hunt podcasts on my drive to/from work lately, I think I'm getting in the mood to hunt some deers. I just may check my cameras this weekend and move them around a little. It would be awesome if the weather would cool down some, it really degrades the excitement of deer season when its 120 million degrees out.

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  5. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got it bad this year, can't wait to get started. Season opens in my home state of Michigan Oct 1st but will be heading out for Maryland on the 6th of Oct till the end of the month to help a friend with his guiding business and hunt a few weeks then going to Kentucky to hunt on the 1st of November, then back to Michigan on the 14th to hunt with the wife till the end of season Jan 1st.

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya! It's been relatively cool up here the past week or so. Down to high 40s a couple of nights. Highs in the mid 70s. Today and tomorrow are supposed to hit 80 and then back down to low 70s for weekend. The mornings and nights are getting that early season feel.
    I hope I get cleared by the Dr. today so I can go do all the cams this weekend. Youth hung 4 weeks from Saturday and then NY opens 10/1.

Sliverflicker likes this.
  7. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah been working on getting home property set up for this year. Lost my major property for the last 13 years and will be hunting my own property and then public and been selected for a late season opportunity for one of our Metro parks so will have plenty of opportunities.

Early season will be limited due to still training for Marathon and family obligations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alenhard15 and Western MA Hunter like this.
  8. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    CMTRAV, whereabouts in Ohio are you?
    My buddy talked me into going out with him and his buddies for a semi guided hunt in SE OH.

9. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    I’m up in Northeast Ohio right on the lake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Since you guys are forced to be my friends, I'm debating arrow setup change; critique my current setup. I'm by far nowhere near an arrow expert, I believe I'm right around 400gr setup, but want to see if I need to try something new.

Mathews Helim 29"/60ish lbs, might go back to 70lbs
    Axis 5mm 300. 10.7gpi. I think they are like 28", I'll have to measure length
    Blazer vanes or quickfletch wraps
    Muzzy Torcar HB 100gr (Debating 125gr)
    Stock nocks, most likely will not go to any lighted nocks

I don't feel like I have any issues with this setup, but that's only because I do not know any other setup.

11. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    you are shooting a heavy arrow for 60lbs, that's for sure. Nothing wrong with that... must hit like a freight train! You are correct, I believe the 300s are 10.7 gpi.

I shoot a Halon 7 29" @ 70lb. I switched from the Axis 340s to the FMJ 340s for this upcoming year. I am getting much better arrow flight and my bow has never been so quiet. The 340 FMJs are 11.3 GPI. It is much heavier than my previous 9.5 GPI. I keep stock nocks as well. My bow is defiantly much slower than before, but I no longer have any inconsistent arrow flight or tail whip.

I have always shot feathers, but did have some fletched with blazers (price was right) this year and they shoot exactly the same.
    For whitetails I would stick with 100gr. broadheads. The weight of your arrows will give you enough extra KE to not have to worry. I think if you go 125gr. you will slow down too much., personally.

I shoot 100 gr. NAP Spitfire Maxx and will be trying out the new SIK SK2 1o0 gr. as well this year.

I don't see anything wrong with your setup. If it works stick with it.

S.McArthur likes this.
  12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet, I think I am going to bump the draw weight back up, it was a off the cuff change I did last year and I didn't really see much benefit to it, I do feel like my groupings got a little worse, I just figured I'm a terrible shot. It is kind of late in the year to be changing setups.
    I practice 40/50 yards and nothing closer on the ground, 35 yards when I'm practicing up the tree in my saddle. On the ground I am accurate, in the saddle, am about 3-5" right, so there is a difference in my form or something; I have about 4 weeks to get that worked out.

13. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    i don't practice much more than 30 yards. I will shoot 40 occasionally. most of my shots are less than 20 yards. I may be able to pull a 30 yard in a couple of spots.

14. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried a 60lb bow. the draw cycle on my Halon is so smooth that the 70lb halon was a more comfortable and easier draw than the 60lb bow I tried.
    I don' think there is too noticeable of a difference between 60 and 70, but with heavier arrows and if it is no harder to draw, then why not shoot the 70lb.
    If it is remotely difficult, then no need to shoot the 70. Some guys are all for higher draw weights like its an ego booster.
    If you can shoot 70 comfortably, i'd do it. If you can't then shoot whatever is comfortable I say!

15. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in the outskirts of Erie (NW corner) but hunt as far east as Brookville (Jefferson county) and as far south as Pittsburgh. Area 1B, 2C, and 2D.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

alenhard15 likes this.
  16. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, I'm in Erie PA so not too far away

CMTRAV likes this.
  17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't have thought so but it does "feel" like the bow/arrow is not as "fast" as it was at 70. It could be just my brain playing with me, but I feel like it is slower. I'm bumping it back to 70lbs and calling it good, it does feel easier to draw but the lack of force kind of takes away from what I've trained my muscle memory to do.

General update: In about 2hrs I'll be heading to glass the bean field in my saddle for no other reason than a field test and to see what comes out to feed.

18. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering how many cameras you guys are running and how much stock you put in them. I run a bunch (22) but in the past I disrupted the spots checking them too often so I've gone to putting them out and rarely checking them unless I am hunting in that area already. I have gone to using the Intel to help me figure out patterns (times/dates/direction) as a whole. My local hunting is very flat w/ few terrain features to help pinch them and the wooded lots are large chunks of ground w/ small fields near roads, limited ag. I plant food plots to help focus them along w/ mineral blocks.

19. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pastor, what are the rules for hunting Pittsburgh? My sister in law and brother in law live in a suburb of Pittsburgh. Last year there was an 8 pointer feeding under their swing set and does in yard all the time in their urban neighborhood. I would love to hunt sometime I'm out there visiting... at least it would be something else fun to do other than hit up Pittsburgh's awesome breweries!

I run 6-8 cameras. I haven't checked them a ton this year. I hunt many small pieces of property. Put minerals and attractant out now. It is illegal to hunt over bait in MA & NY, so I just put the stuff out now where the natural food sources are to get some pics and ideas of what is around. Lots of apples and acorns up here this year. Should be an interesting year.

20. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a bunch of deer yesterday evening, mostly doe and a couple spikes. I did not see any good bucks but I'm not panicking, there seems to be a healthy population in the area so they have to be close by...hopefully. I spent about 2hrs in the saddle getting some good field time, there is a bit of a learning curve but I think it will be a good addition to my stand arsenal. I have 1 picture of the top and right side of a buck head, I moved that camera to cover the area a little better.
    Other than that, I'm not going back in there until opening day, I bumped quite a few deer and made my presence known (not on purpose), rough trip, but worth the time to get in the woods.