Hunting Hawaii

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Laszlo Tengerdy, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Laszlo Tengerdy

Laszlo Tengerdy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So... I am brand new to Bowhunting but iv been doing my homework and learning everything is like leaning to walk again.

Iv been fishing nearly my whole life and understand animal needs, wants, etc. I’m here asking for a little help as to good resources to learn about Bowhunting and more specialically boar, goats, and axis deer.

1. What shop on O‘ahu can do a trustworthy tune up and help me get dialed in?

2. How would I go about applying for an axis deer tags?

3. Any suggestions on how to find a partner to hunt with?

4. Is there anything I can can do to give back and pass on my knowledge of spearfishing?

Last note I am an extreme novice so any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Laz

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, welcome to the forum. I am unsure how many of us have that specific knowledge base you are looking for but you may be able to glean what you need via adaptation of styles discussed here. Good luck and please post pics as I have never hunted there or those!

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum. Each state will have their individual laws and regulations for hunting. Below is the site for Hawaii.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/

I didn't look into it but they should have just about everything you need to get started regarding license, method of take, (gun/bow), and tags for available species and everything like that. O'ahu is a pretty big island so I'd imagine there's at least one decent bow shop there who will hopefully have answers for the area. Best of luck to ya and have fun!

4. Laszlo Tengerdy

Laszlo Tengerdy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt there will be some pictures in the near future!

5. Laszlo Tengerdy

Laszlo Tengerdy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Huge help I’ll have to take a look! Thankyou

6. Theana9

Theana9 Guest

Welcome
    [​IMG]

7. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. Zachary Fetalvero

Zachary Fetalvero Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Laz,

I'm on Maui and was wondering what conclusion you came too? Thanks man!

9. wildflowerAK

wildflowerAK Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello!! I’m hunting in Hawai’i as well.
    Island archer or just archery are both great, google archery shops I think there are a few more.

You can hunt Axis deer on Lana’i, Moloka’i, or Maui. The Lanai state hunt registration is out now and you need to take the hunting safety class in town on Nimitz before hand. It’s pretty cheap tho and very easy to do. I would also recommend the online Bowhunting course, I’ll find the link and post it here.

You can also do private hunts which is what I do. There are a ton of outfitters and guides to choose from, I personally go to Moloka’i and love hunting there.

Axis deer are incredibly smart animals, not only do you have to be very accurate with your bow but more stealthy than your average deer. Most professional bow hunters like John Dudley and Cam Hanes say that Axis deer are the hardest deer to hunt on the planet. Just giving you a heads up don’t get disappointed if you get busted and scare the herd away, I’ve done it to many times to count.

Hunting is spot and stalk, you don’t sit in a tree blind much. I recommend trying to hunt pigs to gain hunting experience before trying for Axis deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. trophyhill

trophyhill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I needed a hunting partner, I'd screen them and make sure your ethics and personalities align. You may join the Bushwackers Archery Club. I met some cool archers there. Get to know those guys. They have a press and some guys who can tune a bow. I took my bow in for a quick tune up at the shop in Honolulu once. 3 weeks later I finally got my bow back. Out of tune. I had drawn a NM Gila tag that year and the Boyz in the Archery Shoppe in Albuquerque hooked it up in less than 30 minutes. Wish I woulda hunted some axis and blacktails while I was there.

11. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck.