Twenty-five degrees and below; What are you wearing?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by slickbilly-d, Aug 16, 2019.

1. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I get cold. It was better this last season bc I had boots that kept my feet warm. So, what keeps you warm in sub freezing temps? One of those sleeping bag things is not an option.

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My Michelin hunting suit from Cabelas,Baffin boots. Good base layers

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the money I would look into the Sitka Fanatic jacket and bibs. That's what I used down to about 10 degrees. I feel I could hunt in 0 degrees weather with it, but it rarely gets that cold here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Cabelas berber fleece with wind block. I also bucked up and bought the $175 long underwear from cabelas. I stay comfortable.

Mlavigne78 and Okiebob like this.
  5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Sitka incinerator set, Its stupid warm, but stupid expensive. Found a lightly used set online it’s a little noisy gortex when real cold but it’s more mental than an actual problem. I had the fanatic and couldn’t stand all the stickers it picked up, even getting dressed at the stand packing in I would get covered in stickers also it’s not water proof. The new fanatic is a different material and doesn’t pick stuff up, I was always cold before I got the Sitka gear. I think the main thing is use a windproof outer layer and high installation layer inside of it.

6. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to get this, but ended up buying the predator whitetail G2 get up. Last year, I was wearing Cabela’s MTP base layer, scent lok full season pants, a sweater, under armor sweatshirt, and then the predator g2 stuff. Mobility starts to become a problem at that point. Wish I would have got the Cabela’s Berber fleece stuff

Sota likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The buck I shot last fall I was sitting in the snow and it was below 20 degrees, huge snowflakes and I was sitting there wow I am really comfortable.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka Incinerator Bibs and Fantic Jacket with appropriate layers.

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just think warm thoughts..

I bought that berber fleece pants and jacket from cabelas a couple years back and it's pretty toasty, like dont put them on until you're on the stand or risk sweating.

slickbilly-d and Sota like this.
  10. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I tried the Sitka Fanatic stuff on today. It is well thought out and really nice. But damn, for the price, what if I kill a buck at the end of October? Then I spent way too much on clothes I didn’t get to use. They only had the Cabela’s Wooltimate stuff and not the Berber fleece. Still up in the air between the Sitka stuff and the Berber fleece stuff. Wish they woulda had it in stock.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Look into back wraps and the stick on heat pads. Keep the core warm along with your feet. I use Toastee Toes as they are made to work with lower oxygen levels being inside boots. They can really help keep the bulk down over dressing. Throw a couple hand warmers in gloves and i can sit all day if need be. Really cold days I use a cabelas fleece insulated coverall and warmers as needed. Boots are rubber 1600 gram thinsulate Lacrosse Alpha Burleys

Screenshot_20190817-174717_Chrome.jpg

slickbilly-d likes this.
  12. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I did this last year. But after a couple weeks, it got expensive. Maybe not Sitka expensive though. I just need October to get here. Trying to justify buying stuff that’ll make me kill a big buck. Probably ought to take my hunting funds and buy an out of state tag for late season and suck it up in the cold

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe look into the heated clothing?

Bad thing is, staying warm is going to cost money whether it is up front or maintaining.

I know my Cabelas suit I really don't need anything but some hand warmers for my gloves. Ever since thet were bought out bt Bass Pro they no longer have much Cabelas brand. Can't find the suit I have on their site.

I buy bulk with everything, from home stuff to hunting stuff. Buy handwarmers and toe warmers in cases rather than individually. Bought a case of each 2 or 3 sessons ago and have about 20 handwarmers and 10 or so toe warmers left. Might pick some more up next payday, use the birthday pay on my next check to cover it.

They may be cheaper on Amazon as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-FULL-Cas...020425?hash=item2aba683ec9:g:iT0AAOSwm4Zb3HNc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heatmax-Ho...053055&hash=item43c5910b5f:g:06QAAOSwZddcLPwD

14. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased new late season jacket and pants from Midway USA 2 years ago, and both kept me really warm with the proper layering underneath. Midway USA has regular sales and if you can wait until off season sales you can get some really great deals. The quality and workmanship is terrific and they have become my new "go to" place to get my hunting clothing.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939338413

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939308387

15. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cabela's Wooltimate jacket is the warmest jacket I've ever worn. I wear it ice fishing on the coldest days (10 degrees or colder) and get sweaty wearing it.

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Milwaukee heated jacket as second layer then normal camo

Westfinger and Okiebob like this.
  17. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Well damn. Wish I would’ve tried it on. It didn’t seem much heavier than the fleece stuff I have, but I don’t have any experience with wool

18. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my father wears this stuff and I will back MNHunterr on it. It is really warm. If I was not going to spend the money on my sitka fanatic bibs and jacket again, this would be the route I would go if I was looking for super warm and quiet.. Like you I tried on the sitka stuff in the store and though I think it is super expensive knowing how high the markup apparel gets in the business. The fit and quality made me shell out the money for it. I am not disappointed that's for sure.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Someday I will buy some insanely nice outer layers from Sitka...but until then my line up is nearly all Scentlok stuff (not the best for extreme cold)...but baselayers have changed my life. Merino wool baselayers from Minus 33 both at lightweight and heavy are crucial aspects of my cold gear...also now some Cold Gear heavy weight from UA as well. Without solid baselayers IMO nothing matters on top, but together they'll make you sweat before you even start walking.

20. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Is the cabelas Berber stuff and the wooltimate stuff true to size?