Northeast to Midwest

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Maine Hunter, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was curious as to where anyone from the Northeast travels to do out of state hunts. I am from Maine and looking to do a Midwest DIY/OTC bow hunt. It has always been on my list but the only hard part is being in the Northeast is pretty far from the Midwest, not just a couple hours drive. If anyone from the Northeast has any tips or pointers on planning and executing an out of state hunt it would be helpful. I know a lot of people say they use an outfitter their first time doing an out of state hunt and build off of that by making connections. I was also considering just a small easy lease but was hoping to hear back from other Northeast bow hunters first. Thanks in advance.

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be heading to SE Ohio this November with some friends. It is a semi guided hunt I guess.
    Looking forward to getting out there and giving it a try.

3. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My father and I have been hunting SW Illinois since 2012. We travel there from Maine. I have a few buddies that travel to Ohio and hunt public land too. Easy to do if you want to hunt the public land. We swapped a bear hunt here for a Midwest whitetail hunt that's how we ended up going to Illinois. Became real good friends with the guy (not an outfitter) and have been going ever since. I'll say if you have the chance to get out in the Midwest during November, DO IT!

4. Jeckolame

Jeckolame Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:

I haven't hunted the Midwest but did go out West to Montana a few times …. The first 2 times I went with a guide the last 3 years I reconnected w/ an old friend from many years ago and linked up with him on his fathers ranch …. I recently just drove out to Michigan from upstate NY driving thru Ohio. Really wasn't a bad drive so I would checkout the Ohio guides they have listed above and give them a shot …. probably cheaper than a lease and more productive until you get familiar with an area.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I travel to the midwest and west to hunt every year, actually most years more then once. Sometime I drive sometimes I fly, depends on what and where I am hunting and the logistics involved