Whisker biscuit vs. drop away

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ty L, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, i'm going to start a heated debate here. I am curious if anyone else uses a whisker biscuit rest? I usually shoot 30-50 yards and I love mine, but i'm curious if anyone uses them for long range shooting? and how people think they compare to a drop away.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a whisker biscuit. I have shot out to 100 yards without any issues. I follow this KISS principle; Keep It Simple Stupid. more moving parts means more stuff to break. I don't want that to happen to me. As long the biscuit is replaced as it gets worn down, it is pretty much indestructible.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Biskets are fail proof but I am a drop away QAD guy.
    Also IMHO 50 yards is long distance shooting

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    rick-florida likes this.
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used a WB from the start and love it! For hunting purposes it can't be beat, but if I were shooting strictly target I'd use a drop away.

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use drop aways but don’t shoot past 60 yds. Never used a biscuit but talked to two different guys that lost opportunities at big deer on crisp quiet mornings when they drew and the arrow made a distinct sound going through the biscuit. After hearing that and seeing they were getting rid of theirs I never really wanted to mess with one. I’ve shot literally thousands of arrows through both of my bows and never had either rest fail. Trophy Ridge and Apache rests. Probably just jinxed myself. :)

Uchase2 likes this.
  6. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD drop away has been way more accurate for me. Every bit as simple to use as a biscuit, Once I changed, I would never go back. I know way more people that have switched from than to a biscuit.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never used a drop away so might be considered a biased opinion.

I use a whisker biscuit for one reason only, the bow 95% of the time lays across my lap. A drop away does not allow that. Maybe a capture rest is something that would, but isn't that thes same as a whisker biscuit concept without admission?

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WB, if you can handle something that is rudimentary and dont mind giving up a little perfomance then go for it. As for reliability WB are the only rests I have seen come out of a bow case broken after Bush flight. I dont see them being overly robust. Simple yes, well built, not really

9. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used a WB and loved it, I have a QAD now and love it. On my PSE Brute I went from WB to trophy ridge full capture and I "feel" like my groups got just a tad tighter. My Mathews now has the QAD and it has been great but I cannot compare it to a WB on this bow.
    The "loss" of performance between the two won't matter much if you can constantly put the arrow in the sweet spot of your target. Sometimes I wish I had a WB for spot/stalk situations, but the QAD does just fine; all depends how confident you feel with the equipment.

10. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would never consider such an elementary rest as a biscuit on one of my high end bows. Sorry. Might be functional but garbage to me.

I use QAD LD. Very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you can keep a rest quiet and accurate, that is all that matters. I used a WB for many years, like a decade ago. Ive switched over to drop aways and capture rests bc I was able to make them quieter than the WB in all weather environments.

12. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both but never stuck with a WB. A drop away just gives me more consistent accuracy, especially down range where imperfect shooting form is magnified.

13. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I could lay my bow with a QAD rest and an arrow nocked on my lap or hung up all day without a thought. The arrow's not going to come out. If you tried one you would see.

14. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot well,then keep it. I shoot a fall away rest and it works great, but I also run the risk of potential mechanical failure. The biscuit does not have that problem.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

cantexian likes this.
  15. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A whisker biscuit consumes a tiny bit more of friction energy.
    And it contains the arrow all the way through, giving you less margin for errors.
    The whiskers might wear in the long term, but usually insignificant compared to the archer's errors.
    OTOH, they are much more robust & failsafe then spring-loaded drop-away mechanisms.
    Seen a YT video with a guy shooting with a WB at 100yd, putting all arrows in the kill zone.

cantexian likes this.
  16. Ninepoint 91

Ninepoint 91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I shoot a QAD and love it.
    To me confidents is a lot when you look at accuracy. I want my equipment to be spot on. If equipment is on, my confidence is on point.
    For example if I used a WB ( and I have) and over time notice the gap between my arrow and top of WB getting larger or you may not notice. That would throw my accuracy off. Which in return may cause you to loose confidence in your shooting ability and or equipment.
    My point is if your equipment is at the top notch then that’s one less factor to consider. And will help with confidence.
    The inconsistency of a WB over time wether you notice it or not can and will play into that factor.
    Were as for example a QAD is the same every time. No change no chance of arrow movement.

17. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a WB for about a week, did not care for it. I then switched to a Axion Pulse, great rest if all you ever do is target shoot in a climate controlled range, did not handle the elements well. Just recently I had a Alpine Whisperflite match grade put on, this is a discontinued rest and as simple as they come, damn near failproof. Why they quit manufacturing them is beyond me. Two out of the three winners in our State 3D competition shoot this same rest, the winner being my bow tech.

MSBK1 likes this.
  18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting anecdote on the damage from flying. I shoot a WB and flown to hunt with it three times. I have never had a damage issue.

19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    No chance of mechanical failure is why I prefer a WB. If a shot is off, it is one less thing to worry about being off. One less moving part to break on a back country hunt.

20. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are lots of biscuit shooters out there and they work great from what I hear. The only reason I use a drop away is I only shoot 55-60lbs for draw weight and wanted to get every bit of speed I could. Although I'm sure it's minimal, that was my thought process with it.

Swamp Stalker likes this.