Why You Should Plant a Food Plot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will sum it up, plant food plots to get the deer into bow range. That is the honest reason.

w33kender and Swamp Stalker like this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have plenty of deer.. I plant food plots to get a break from the dear, the little lady that is.

w33kender and Swamp Stalker like this.
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I plant a lot of small plots.. I've taken most deer no where near a plot. When I first started doing plots they had nothing to do with deer. It was about the land. We bought land from a farmer that was older and when he stopped farming he had plowed all his fields and then never disced and leveled them. Well maples grew up in the "wash board". One of his sons mowed just a small area of the front of the land. On top of that he never de-rocked the land. OMG 20 + YRS AND It still drives me wild. I have piles of rocks so high the tractor bucket can't clear them to dump. I've been on a mission to flatten , level and de-rock all the open areas I finally finished that 2 yrs ago, well de-rocking will never end. I figured while I was at it, I might as well improve the soil and plant something. Which was buckwheat and winter rye. Then a local " Great White Hunter " said some nasty little things about my being a bow hunter. See I sinned as a woman shooting a recurve instinctive and also teaching my kids. This threaten his ego. I was killing good deer and then our daughter shot a buck ,6pt, before his son. He fell off his nut! So I decided to do all I could to draw deer to our place during season. Then it became a hobby of finding unusual things to plant. Like Burnett, cowpeas, hemp, knauf, sainfoil,trictical, new clovers and combination of things. Plus trees and shrubs.. Then it went to replanting bedding hay lost to a corn farmer and anything that would draw rabbits ,woodchuck and deer away my gardens. Now I'm gearing more toward planting for game bird habitat.

Okiebob likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Old you are a badass woman, I would never bet against you.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol ,
    I don't know about that, but thanks. I was raised to work hard. At 10 I baby sat 2 infants and a toddler from after school till midnight 5 days a week. Then at 12 after my mother passed I learned to run the backhoe and dozer and raked stone and black top for my father. Shoveled driveways in the winter. I still shovel our 300' drive by hand to this day. It's exercise to me. Checked out my trail plot post.

Okiebob, virginiashadow and Sota like this.
  8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Old school beast mode.

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plant food plot so I can Beetch about the rain with the farmers, stress about what to put in, and get nothing out of it but a shed or two from small deer I never knew were on my land

oldnotdead and virginiashadow like this.
  10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Starting to figure out why I love public land.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of which I just made it up the hill with the tractor. Not suppose to rain ...pouring and nasty thunder storm. Barely got equipment put away. Did get trees cut up, moved and two trail sections and a hub below disced .
    P.S.
    Seed arrived when I was out there...