Re-using broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Cannon06, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot mechanical broad heads and they are always bent after I shoot a deer. I never try to fix them or replace blades not worth the risk to me to not get a true flight next time.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a carbon arrow once that must have had a hairline crack that I couldn't see. I was practicing and when I fired it. The air broke in half. The front half of the arrow flew away thankfully. The back half just missed my hand. You have all seen those pictures of arrows in hands. That's how it happens. So I got lucky. But my bow not so much. It blew up entirely. Broke both cams and the string. So I don't mess with that at all. My quiver arrows are all brand new. With brand new broadheads. Once they have hit a animal. They are on the wall in garage. Never to be fired again. Going through a animal plus the running of the animal after. You never know what happened to that arrow. From the bones, to the flexing etc. I can afford to waste $30 after every kill. I'd rather that then have to buy a whole new bow again. Or lose my hand.

3. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    rage blades aren't tough enough for multiple shots, but ive replaced blades and reused head

my Magnus stingers though, clean the dirt off and are pretty well ready to go!
    ive sharpened the main blades on the 4 blade stingers and used again

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  4. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never reused a broadhead to hunt with. That being said, I have been very interested in the iron wills but I can't bring myself to switch from my current broadhead that has worked great for me. If I did switch to Iron Will, I guess I would probably start re-using.

5. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The magnus black hornets are amazing as well

6. Cschelk2

Cschelk2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't reuse mechanicals but i don't use them in the first place. For fixed heads i will take them apart, clean/inspect, spin test and sharpen. I've had no issues taking several deer with the same broadhead in a season or more with Magnus broadheads and if i ever have an issue they will replace them for free. Can't imagine spending $12-$15 on a mechanical and using it once regardless of how fat my pocketbook is.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use mechanical broadheads and I replace the blades when possible. Most broadheads come 3 in a pack. VERY, VERY few people shoot 3 deer in a year. No need to replace them in most cases. Just grab a new one.

TheHardWoods913 and Sota like this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very true Sam, most years I shoot 1 arrow.

9. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot my last 4 deer and a bear with the same head. Buy quality and just resharpen!

trial153 likes this.
  10. Racks&Ridges

Racks&Ridges Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just retire the broadhead after a kill and the arrow usually as well. They go with the mount whatever I decide to do with the buck. Call me a superstitious ginger but one soul is enough per arrow and broadhead.......

11. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed blades I’ll sharpen and reuse once maybe twice. Never shot a deer with a mechanical tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll reuse a mechanical if the blade can be sharpened or if the blades can be replaced. It the head has any damage to it I retire it.

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve resharpened both. Not because I’m cheap but because I still like doing some things myself and I’m pretty good at it. At $15 a broadhead, there’s nothing wrong with saving money. I loosed exactly 7 arrows last year and recycled all but one head. So if saving $90 puts me in the cheapskate category put me at the top of the list!

Racks&Ridges likes this.
  14. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot G5 Montecs. I touch them up at the beginning of every season to ensure a sharp edge. For arrows and broadheads I've shot, I check for any damage and straightness. If anything's off, then they get pitched.

15. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it all depends on the shape the blade is in. I had a buddy of mine who shot at a doe, missed and put the arrow into the dirt. He retrieved his arrow and looked the broad head over and cleaned it up as he was in his stand. 20 minutes later he had a doe walk through and laid down a clean shot on it (I would have just used another arrow and broad head). But it all depends on the condition, but yes, I always sharpen mine until I see they are to far gone.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    reusing heads and arrows= good karma

17. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I reuse my NAP hell razor heads because they don't have replacement blades. I am not as confident re-using blades from my mechanical head.

18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have muzzy heads that have killed at least 6 critters. I shoot a lot of does and reuse undamaged heads all the time. I spin test the head to make sure that it is still good. Normally I just buy replacement blades, but I have re-sharpened my fair share of replacement blades. I probably have at least 60 right now that I will re-sharpen this Fall and use again. The bent ones get thrown away.