The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    arrowflinger1, GregH and Artem256 like this.
  2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks. I hate when companies won't stand behind their product. I only own one handgun and it isn't a glock. I shoot a lot of Federal ammo, but I will not be buying that aluminum casing stuff. I hope you get it sorted out.

This is why I do not buy guns from manufacturers that originate from countries where we had to evict the Nazis. :jerry: :usa:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    jrk_indle84 and Artem256 like this.
  3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to work for ATK (now Vista Outdoors) at the CCI location. Federal is a sister company of CCI, the cases and/or ammo could've even been made at CCI. Send Federal ALL of the ammo you have, even any spent casings if you picked them up (doubt it with aluminum, but get them if you still can). They will test it all and I'd bet pay for all costs if they find a problem with the remaining ammo. They will inspect it, pull some unfired rounds apart and inspect all components, fire it and check pressure and velocity, and then inspect the fired cases. They will also know if there was any kind of NCM (non-conforming material) associated with any of the components. An example is if one of the case Lots went on NCM hold for some kind of issue, in many instances it can be visually inspected to remove all defects they find and then the case Lot is returned to production. If there was an NCM associated with any of the case Lots that had a defect that could cause the case to come apart like yours did, then they will figure they missed one during inspection and will cover your costs even if they don't find an immediate issue with the ammo you return to them. If they don't find a problem or correlating NCM issue, then good luck. They have a tight QA program, which results in a catch22 when this kind of thing happens. It could very well be that only one defective case slipped through, which sucks when you are wanting them to find an issue with the remaining ammo. It may help to make sure they understand that several hundred rounds were fired through the gun without issue, and also if Glock is unable to find any obvious issues with the gun.
    Honestly I'd still have no issue using CCI/Fed ammo even if something like this were to happen to me. They are ISO certified and seeing what they have to go through to maintain that certification is impressive...but I can understand why you say you won't use their ammo again. I will say that I avoid using aluminum ammo at all costs and will go with cheap brass ammo every time before aluminum when just wanting plinking rounds.
    After working there I find that I do give any kind of ammo I buy a visual inspection before using it.

I've heard/seen several stories of ammo issues. The worst one I heard of was a round of .40 ammo that managed to get out to an LE agency, there was a single round that didn't have an extractor groove cut into it. Think about that for a minute...no way that round will ever eject from the chamber. 99 times in a 100 you'd think they'd just fire until they had that round chamber, it would go off but not extract, and then they'd clear it and be back to practicing (it wasn't duty ammo). Well this time was the perfect storm. An instructor was giving a class to some recruits and they did some live fire exercises. The instructor would demonstrate and then the recruits would do the exercise. The instructor is the one that ended up with the bad round, but it was the round that chambered AFTER he fired his last shot of the exercise. He holsters and they return the to classroom. End of the day comes and the instructor is talking to a couple of recruits after class. He decides to clear his weapon, so he unholsters, drops the magazine, cycles the slide several times (to "clear" the chamber), BUT does not visually look or feel that the chamber is empty, and then decides to uncock the weapon by pulling the trigger. Thank goodness he was observing muzzle control, the bullet went into the concrete floor and only splattered one of the recruits legs with concrete chips.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    jrk_indle84 likes this.
  4. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    My rant of the day:
    Strep throat deciding to show up in the middle of a 4 day 4th of July weekend camping trip.
    Packing up camp with your throat on fire and a 101° temperature is awesome to say the least.

dnoodles likes this.
  5. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They blow up too haha. Although based on my experience I'm batting 1.000 with glock so can't say much. I'll haveta give ya that one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Artem256 likes this.
  6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The BAL is the only story needed, guilty.

8. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely don't hold any fault with federal and honestly glock either. They, federal, have been the most helpful out of both companies so far. I'm actually waiting on a shipping label from them that is supposed to be here today or tomorrow to send the remaining ammo back along with the defective case. There's really no way I coulda picked up the other spent ammo because there's thousands laying all over the ground at the range I go to. Coulda found a few but honestly woulda been hard to be sure they were mine and not someone elses. And I'm supposed to send a email with pics of firearm and what happened as well. The guy I talked to was pretty helpful and basically stated same as you as far as testing and if comes back it was in fact ammo they'll cover it. Also said either way they'll be letting me know one way or another and even if wasn't ammo might be something they'd do. So they seem pretty good at taking care of things actually.

As far as buying their ammo again, honestly I probably will. It won't be anything aluminum, from anyone, again but it's really my fault that ended up with this box. Hardly ever buy anything other than brass cased ammo because I've had problems with the cheap steel case feeding into my ar and now this with aluminum. But where I bought this the store has everything behind counter and I told the person what wanted, they rang it up and I paid before realizing what it was. So that parts on me.

At end of the day there's hundreds of things that could have caused this but unless something is brought to light as to why, I don't feel it's anything I've done. But again who knows. Time will tell I guess once everything get to where it needs to go so they can look it over.

But thanks for the info either way.

9. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And now we can add pissing in the ice cream machine to that list...
    upload_2019-7-10_15-51-48.png

Artem256 likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that story was reported to have happened 20 miles west of St Petersburg. That would be in about 180' deep water.

11. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just when you think you have seen it all, what the hell is wrong with people

12. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wel last employee said to hard of work no can do. So i get my wife who wieghs in at bout 112 lb and guess she gona do the work of a healthy 17-18 year old guy. What a shame

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    We have that problem too, so ends up only being 3 or 4 at most doin alot. Real nice when it's hot like has been and doin a concrete floor or something that needs slick finish. Pretty much work you butt off and then die at the end lol.

charleshibner92 likes this.
  14. charleshibner92

Dislikes Received:
    Im on like number 4 or 5. Guy in town said he figured he went thru 12. Lawn care and landscaping not that hard and i cant hold your hand all day so just work

15. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    You also have the current market going for you. In this calm, conservative president in the White House type of market people don't go crazy and buy up everything in sight (Obama sold a TON of ammo). In this type of market where the shelves are all full and consumers have the option of buying whatever they want, quality is king. A company doesn't want to have a consumer actually choose their product out of all the other choices and then experience a problem, because they certainly aren't going to choose your product the next time. When Obama was in office ammo companies could make ANYTHING and it would sell. Not so right now.
    I think they will bend over backwards to try to help you out. Ammo companies are hurting right now for sales after what they were used to for 8 years. The ramped up, expanded lines, added new ones, hired and trained folks to run them...and now they are shutting down lines and letting folks go. I see that Vista Outdoor just sold off Savage Arms. They are hurting and are trying to show available cash vs. expenditure to their investors. At one point after they split off from ATK their shares were in the neighborhood of $70+ per share. It is currently $8.41 a share. I think they are going to want you happy when all is said and done...or at least satisfied that it wasn't an ammo issue.

16. charleshibner92

Dislikes Received:
    And quite frankly i dnt have time to interview a guy 5-7 times to figure out if he a donkey or a thouroghbred horse Boys i grew up with were all horses and no donkeys guess no ther more donkeys then horses

17. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Her name is Dun Sum Ting Wong

18. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where is our liberal Germ?

19. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    AOC support rally

Sota, GregH, cls74 and 2 others like this.
  20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Pffffft bahahaha. My buddy is about the same age as that lady and grew up in Dixon. I'll bet he knows her, going to have to send that story to him. I had seen the headline earlier on foxnews.com but didn't realize it was in Dixon