Best bowhunting video i 've seen in a long time

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BB4tw, Jun 9, 2019.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Came across this video today. This is what we need to put out there in order to grow the sport.

No high end equipment. No high dollar camo, tree stand, or food plot. Simply bowhunting at its purest.

Might I suggest that some of the BHOD staff set an example for the new comers and hunt with Mission bows instead of flagship Mathews bows.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Woods, kgtech and BowhuntOnly like this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No thanks I don't need to watch a guy riding in a truck, it's been done.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    and accomplish what; exactly? Stop pimping Mathews; which then may take away a little of the proceeds steam from the R&D which goes into the Mathews line FIRST, which in turn paves the way for subsequent implementation into the cheaper Mission line? Mission would not exhibit the quality and value that it does without the innovation driven from the profits of the Mathews line.

Hunting shows need to walk a fine line between being an informative and entertaining commercial success or being little more than an infomercial- I think BHOD does a pretty good job of that. TPH as well; even though those of us that have been following them from the beginning notice they are more sponsored this season than in years past (without being obnoxious.)

While I agree the video in the OP was a very good reminder that to be a successful hunter does not require the "best" or most "high dollar" equipment; I don't think you could fund the series for very long without sponsorships from companies who want to be known as trusted by those we trust.

And I'm not talking as someone who has to have "the best" of everything. Yes I shoot flagship bows but my tried and true backup (and best bow I've ever shot) is still the 2013 Mission Ballistic in my signature line. Several flagships have come and gone and I've liked them all; but that one stays.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know full well why they do what they do and why they promote the products they promote.

However, wouldn't it be a good long term investment to give the cheaper equipment a little bit of a cool factor? Im not suggesting a complete switch by the whole staff, just have a couple guys film a couple segments on the cheap.

Create future flagship customers via current budget lines.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

dnoodles likes this.
  5. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out THPs latest podcast on how they support themselves while providing to their viewers. Ultimately we all get the choice to view what we want. If your style of hunting is shooting the latest and greatest because you like the new products coming out each year, thats your choice. I like certain new products each year and i also have gear thats 20 yrs old. If you choose not yo buy a new bow or your priorities are not to buy a new bow each year, that's ok. Hooefully no one is judging you for your equipment and who cares if they are...your having fun. For me it's cool to see all the content out there...if you really want to get out and hunt or shoot you can find a way and someone who can help you do it! Thanks for the post and perspective!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Valid points. But I am sure Mathews employs marketing people who know far batter than either of us how, when, and where to conduct product placement. It's not up to the you or I to decide- it's up to the sponsors and the show.

I 100% agree that Mission deserves more dap all around. Great bows (and not just for for the money) and I recommend them to anyone who is just getting into the sport or is in the market for a "budget" bow. Word of mouth may not mean much in the world of thumbs up/down or "likes" but it costs me not a thing to spread.

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I grab my bow, my stand, and my cellphone with GPS and I enter the woods to kill. All else doesnt mean squat to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kfili, MUDSHARK, Cannon06 and 2 others like this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The ironic part is a video like that is made to garner more views on YouTube, and hence drive more subscribers and ad revenue. The circle of business only works one way, and that's by making money.

9. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully, there is no one close that is hunting in their area. I cringed when he put on the white scarf...during whitetail season! Like wearing red or blue during turkey season. No, I didn't watch the whole 20 minute video, stopped there.

10. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I once took 8 years off from bow hunting, decided I was going to pick it back up, went to the pawnshop and bought an old XI Flatliner for $50. Shot a 164" public land buck with it 3 weeks later, lol.

If he had went to Lowe's or Home Depot and spent $15 to make PVC bow to hunt with...I would have been impressed.

11. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mission makes great bows, my Dad shot one for years and never missed. New bowhunters need to learn technique before they drop $1000 on a bow imo, although I'm not an expert. Once you learn how to shoot a bow and bowhunt, you learn what you value in a bow and can upgrade from there. You may even decide to go traditional archery after that to chase the challenge. Either way, you can't go wrong with a $500 Mission, $1000 flagship, or a used bow out of a pawn shop.
    And if Mathews paid me to rep their stuff, I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

12. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was a nice reminder that you don't need the latest and greatest to enjoy bowhunting. Its a sport we all love and enjoy, and if shooting the low end or high end gets the job done then it doesn't really matter.

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't watch the video but I'm the same way as mentioned. If the video starts out with a guy driving in his truck or going through an airport I skip it. If you don't have hunting footage don't waste my time. I don't care about your truck and how tough you look in your under sized t-shirt.

Sota and WillO like this.
  14. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice video, thanks for sharing.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I look like a poorly made pork sausage in my undersized shirt, thank you very much.