The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man, that was good timing. Thank you.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I might just get a used transmission with a 3 yr unlimited mile warranty put into my old truck. The kids medical bills are unpredictable and I need to keep things tight right now in my cheapskate world.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was in your situation, I would be doing the same thing. Especially, if I could pay cash for it. The last thing I would want to do financially is add another payment on top of the medical bills. How are they doing? I hope the health has improved since the fall.

Artem256 likes this.
  4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Well I just had them fix the transmission and my front axle for a good price. Truck is almost 14 yrs old and has no rust issues and has been run pretty easy.

Unfortunately the kids are not doing that great. Sent off their medical stuff to Duke and UVA hospitals to see if they can help. Thanks for asking.

dnoodles, cantexian and Artem256 like this.
  5. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :throw:Ok, Im a Apple fan. But $1000 for a {REDACTED} monitor stand are you {REDACTED} kidding me?!!! Even a Apple worshipping fanatic wouldnt be so {REDACTED} stupid as to buy that! (I hope)
    AED9A47C-6C6E-4158-AB0E-63FD32C30317.gif
    Look at $1000 boys (monitor not included) :lmao2:
    Oh look it can move up and down and tilt :jaw: shut up and take my money! (Not)

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I quit cold turkey twice. Only way to do it. First time was for 5 years, only started back up because I moved back to Springfield and was going to the bars when indoor smoking was still allowed. Only lasted about 3 months.

Quit again 13 or 14 years ago, been so long ago can't remember. Not smoking is the easy part, it's the habit. I'd sit down at the computer and start searching for something, would take me a few to realize I was looking for cigarettes and a lighter :lol:

Getting past the 2 week mark is the ticket, gets easier from there.

Okiebob likes this.
  8. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cold turkey 29 years ago. I still want one with morning coffee occasionally. I still take a deep breath when passing the smokers outside businesses. It’s not hard to resist at all its just still a small craving for me.
    If I’m ever on a plane at 35000 feet and it blows its engines I’ll be asking who I can bum a smoke from on the way down.
    Hang in there. Life’s better as a non smoker!

Okiebob and GregH like this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I quit cold turkey and I'll never go back.... Hot is so much better

WillO, Okiebob and The Old Man like this.
  10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's amazing how annoying smoking is after quitting. When I was working in a garage, getting in a smokers car was horrible. You never really notice it until you quit.

Current job machining, annoying as hell when a chainsmoker gets put on the machine next to me, exhaust fans brings the smoke right across my work area.

11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    People who make claims about something the research says and then do not cite or provide access to the research supporting the claim. This is called bullschnitzel, either cite your sources or present your idea as an anecdotal opinion, not scientific fact!

w33kender likes this.
  12. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to manage a shopping mall in Fayetteville NC. I would come in to work every morning and the parking lot would always be full of garbage, some in bags. I initially thought that the guy who was supposed to pick up all the loose garbage and run the sweeper truck overnight wasn't throwing away his bags or running the sweeper. When I asked security if they had seen him running it they laughed and said he ran it every night but and then people come in at the crack of dawn and dump their garbage in the middle of the parking lot. I didn't fully believe him so I came in like an hour before sunup one morning and parked my car and watched and sure enough, about every 10 minutes or so some jackass would pull up in their car, park in the parking lot, and pop the trunk. They would literally pull out 2-4 full garbage bags, or a couple cans without bags, and throw them right in the middle of the parking lot then get back in the car and drive off. This went on for an hour or 2 each morning 7 days per week. I had come to expect that some people would toss their beer cans and the occasional fast food bag out the window, but never imagined that somebody would actually go to the trouble of loading entire garbage bags into their cars and transporting them across town to litter. We immediately upgraded the cameras that covered the areas that were commonly being used as dumping grounds so that they could clearly get a photo of license plates then had security sit there and man those cameras every morning. We waited about 3 weeks before we took it to the cops and had collected video of something like 150 different people illegally dumping garbage in our parking lot. Turned them in all at once. I'm not positive what came of it after that, but I believe they all got issued pretty big fines. Word must have traveled fast because within a week or 2 it stopped. Typical Fayetnam though.

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    This rain needs to quit. The Arkansas is flooding like crazy. I proposed to my wife on the top of this pedestrian bridge over the river. It has only gotten worse since this picture was taken with all the rain.

The dam in the second picture is a fishing spot I like. The WMA is completely flood more so than when it is intentionally flooded for duck season. The creek below the dam is six feet over normal level and flowing backwards into the lake. The backflow is from the Arkansas River flooding backing up into the creek. The creek meets the river four miles away from the dam. The river is so flooded it has back flowed that far.
    Normally the right side of the road is lake and there is a creek going out the dam on the left side of the road. People who live on the lake have been ordered out of their homes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This may belong in the political section. Though I am not being on "social media" I'm hoping people reading the rant start repeating this on theirs.

Someone needs to sue Nancy Pelosi or bring charges against her for crimes against humanity, for not leading her caucus in changing the asylum law, and immigration laws. For claiming for months,against visible and recorded proof, there was no crisis on our southern border.
    It is time for the American public to step in and do something , besides building a section of wall. BTW which is great.

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Failing to defend this country and lying

Artem256 likes this.
  16. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Floods are a horrible thing!

cantexian and oldnotdead like this.
  17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    When my dad was stationed in Hawaii our family went through a 200 year storm. It was New Years Eve night and I had just turned 13. Started raining like hell and our entire house flooded by morning. 4 feet of water came through our house as a water containment thing broke and combined with the 2 to 4 inches an hour the rains were putting out. 99% of all of our belongings were ruined. Our house was ruined. Our cars. We had nothing and we were forced to go to the local high school where the wonderful people of the red cross took care of us. It was terrible. I dont wish that upon anyone.

18. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "Bros" who ride around with no shirt on because they think they look cool. I was filling up on the way to work this morning and this guy pulls up, windows down, bumping music, backwards hat, and no shirt. He gets out of his car and puts his shirt on to go into the convenience store. When he walks out of the store he removes the shirt as he gets into his car then rolls the windows down, cranks the music up to 11, then burns rubber out of the parking lot... His car was fairly new so pretty sure it had air conditioning and even if it didn't, it was 7am and the temperature was upper 60s.

I almost felt sorry for the guy... then he did the "chirp, chirp, chirp" style front wheel drive burn out as he was leaving the gas station and I realized that some people just can't be helped

cantexian and axtell343 like this.
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Sadly, technology has defeated natural selection in some instances.

20. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Too bad there is no economically feasible way to contain the excess spring run off in the Midwest and ship it to Arizona and California.

cantexian and Artem256 like this.