D-Day

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Greatest respect to those men. They knew what was coming, yet never flinched. Many knew they would die, yet never flinched. USA!

Swamp Stalker and oldnotdead like this.
  3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The greatest generation by far

jrk_indle84 and dnoodles like this.
  4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/d-day-veteran-97-parachutes-into-normandy-75-years-later

I mean I probably wouldn't jump out of plane now and this gentleman is 97.

Seriously tho two of my most memorable moments from the military happened while I was stationed at the embassy in France. I was on the color guard and we went around to alot of the WW2 parades and events theres. It was close to the 60th anniversary and the ppl that put everything on wanted to make it a special time for the vets because they were afraid alot of them wouldn't make it to the 75th anniversary. We went to Normandy for one and it was a amazing and sombering experience. We walked around the graves and made it over to the cliffs overlooking the beach, that still had several of the German bunkers there, and it was very hard to imagine what it was like on D-day.

Another time we went to a small town put in country for a parade and then got invited to the dinner afterwards. They wanted to make sure we sat with alot of the other vets and it was awesome talking to them guys. One guy was a british soldier that had been in Africa. He was one the funniest ppl I've ever met. Especially after the wine started flowing. Would hate to imagine how many cases they went through that day ha.

Only thing I regretted while there was when I got there I was a week late and left a week to soon to be able to go to Belleau wood for the big event they had every year around this time. Shoulda just made time outside the event to go but being a young 19 or 20 year old didn't realize how important is to take advantage of things when they're right in front of you. Hopefully I can get back some day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just watched Saving Private Ryan. Still a powerful movie!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

w33kender and jrk_indle84 like this.
  6. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always rewatch the old HBO series Band of Brothers around this time of year. It's another good one if haven't watched before.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

w33kender likes this.
  7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Many thanks to the greatest generation.

trial153 likes this.
  8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When the movie came out, veterans said it was the most realistic portrayal of the landing they had seen. They also said they hoped it would never happen again. Band of Brothers- several years ago, my cousin sent me a notice that the fellow, Shifty Powers, had died. Normandy- my father and I were watching videos of the landing. My father leaned forward at one scene. Four GIs were carrying a guy on a stretcher who was facing the camera and up on one elbow. To his dying day, my father claimed it was my cousin, Johnny. Dad said Johnny had mustache like the guy in the film. He was a sniper and went in on the first wave. He was wounded.

w33kender likes this.
  9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of the residents at the assisted living facility that I volunteer at, was in the 502nd, jumped into Normandy, and holland. He is still mentally with it, at the age of 94. He is a great man and I enjoy spending time with him. We play cards, shoot the ****, and swap stories. The funniest thing is that he has a girlfriend there in her early 70s, and she confessed to my wife that “ He’s still got it!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w33kender likes this.