3D target schematics?

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by John T., May 22, 2019.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have mentioned I am an NASP coach. Many kids have never seen the target area for 3D targets or a 3D target. I'm looking for something in paper or thin plastic that I can pin to the regular targets to get them used to the target area at 10 meters and 15 meters. My elementary school kids did real good at the TN state shoot but I want them to be better prepared this coming season. TIA. Keep 'em in the X ring!

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. That is listed as ASA. Not familiar with ASA. NASP 3D is shot under IBO rules. I have the NASP/IBO rules available on the NASP website. Will compare the two. But that would be what I'm looking for to allow the archers to be familiar with the layout of the scoring area. Again, thanks.

4. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    The middle red 11 ring is ibo

5. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Again, thanks. Some of the kids this school year never shot a bow let alone seen a NASP target of 3D target. That will be a big help to visualize the scoring area.

6. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the rule for scoring. Tried to copy the photo illustrating the scoring areas but not computer-wise.
    5.3. The scoring rings are 10, 9, & 8. Any arrow outside the 8-ring but on the animal is scored a 7. Arrows in the horns (sheep & antelope), antlers (deer), or stump (turkey) are scored zero.

7. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
  8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've used 1" stickers in a contrasting color.

Alternatives if you need bigger plastic or lids/caps. A small piece of busted arrow shaft to pin them to a target (may need a nail to punch a hole).

Also used paint on personal targets, with a template cut from some plastic which I usually have in recycling.

9. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    slickbilly-d, that would work but we are talking about needing several which might not be in the budget. One team used 9 targets for at least 18 archers. One could be purchased and a template made for the different scoring areas, overlaying one over the other. Thanks for the link. Need to order some nocks and fletching from LAS this summer. I think I would use the faces a few weeks before we start tourney season which starts after the first of the year. As I mentioned, some of the kids never saw a 3D target, let alone the scoring area.
    Made some target pins out of wire coat hangers- cut to about 6 inches, form one end in a loop and bend the loop 90 degrees to the shank. I keep four in my archery tool box.

10. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again. Reviewing before turning in a order to LAS. If I keep buying from them, they can close the business and retire in comfort.:lol:

11. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    You and me both.

bowhunterhalon327 likes this.
  12. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Waiting for them to start sending Thank You notes. FWIW, I was in the store last summer. When I walked in, I pondered the maximum on our credit cards. I bought 75 NASP 1820 tips as the originals were used so much they were rounded off and dull as a two hour sermon (BTW, I'm a minister). They didn't have enough in the store so the young lady called the warehouse and had them counted, packed and sent over to the store. While waiting, my wife was looking at a glove for shooting in some school fundraisers using Genesis bows, etc., under NASP rules. The same young lady opened packages, let her pick out a glove, stapled the opened packages and put them back on the display. That's customer service!
    I appreciate this website! I was on one and learned absolutely nothing. All they did was debate/argue what was the best rifle, caliber, etc. Thanks to all who contribute to this website and the forums.

13. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    There were two links for my question. Am I wrong in assuming the target area is the same for all 3D targets- turkey, whitetail, etc.? I have seen the targets but didn't take a minute to look at the details. Again, many thanks for your help.