Egyptian Wheat

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by IAMIKE, Jun 1, 2019.

1. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you planted it to use as a cover walking in and out of the stand. Do a lot of hunting on corn field edges and use blinds was thinking about planting some in the edges of the field for cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It tends to blow down in summer storms.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to get my buddy to consider it- there is literally no way to get anywhere on his 40 acre property without bumping bedded deer.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I grew it last year, Sota has a point. It worked well in right up to the first hard killing frost and after one good rainstorm with a little wind it laid over and was kaput. Then it worked against me, the deer started bedding in it. So I will say this, plant it as a screening far away from your path to the stand and keep in mind that it may become a bedding area mid-season. This year I planted Sunn Hemp for screening, at least it's a good food source and when the killing frost hits it will be a non viable food source that serves as a screening, hopefully. And it doesn't matter if the bed in it, I have a new path to my stand..

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why not just plant corn and not harvest it? That's what we have done for years.

Okiebob likes this.
  6. Layne koehn

Layne koehn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What about Egyptian wheat with sorghum for strengthening. Thats what I heard works well, we are gonna try it this year...

GregH dislikes this.