Question of Arrows

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by afishhunter, Jun 1, 2019.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My recurve bow has a draw weight of 70 pounds at 28 inches.

My draw length is 23 inches (I am deformed) giving me an effective (scaled) draw weight of 55 pounds.

Will 24 inch 400 spine carbon fiber arrows be too "stiff" for this bow?

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can get great advice here. I have enjoyed and profited from the forum members. Stay tuned here or check the arrow manufacturers. They have charts to answer your question, call or email them. Good hunting and shooting!

3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of point weight do you intend on running? Just looking quickly at spine charts, it looks like you’d need 200+ grains of point weight to break the spine down on that short of an arrow.

4. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 24 inch arrows weigh 420 grains with 125 grain heads.
    I didn't know when I got the arrows built that 100 and 125 grain inserts were available. If I had, I would have gotten them.

They shoot well from my 60 pound (at my draw length) compound bow.

I don't know how changing the fletching on them to feathers will affect the weight.

5. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi. usually compound bows place the arrows dead center in the riser, so spine ( arrow stifness) does not matter too much,

but with recurves the arrows ussually is displaced to the outside of the center so the arrow needs to be soft to absorb that desviation.

In a 50 pound recuve i use 30", 516 grains gold tip 400spine arrows, so with 24 inches arrows I guess you should move to something like around 600 spine arrows.

You can start using regular aluminum inserts. if the arrows group to the left move up with brass inserts 50 grains and try again.

Originally, my arrows at 400 spine hitted 4" at the left, After glue in 100 grains brass inserts and keep the 100 grains tip, they group exactly on the X.

hope this can help you. regards.