Okies!

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by OK/Sooner, May 30, 2019.

1. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hope everyone is surviving the flooding that is going on. Our main road in and out of town has been flooded/closed for over a week now. The School my soon goes to is completely under water. Hopefully this starts going down soon. On a brighter note what hunts did you guys apply for this year? I applied for the Elk and Speed Goat out west. The deer hunts were mostly closer to home though.

Little River
    Push
    Wichita Mnts
    Sequoyah
    McCalister

Here's to hoping I get lucky!

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well here is to keeping yer head above water! My 30 day rainfall total south of Guthrie is 17", the pond is full.. I'm in OKC so no flooding here but we did put up a family from Webers Falls in a rent house we have in Tulsa. Looks like another week of rain before it all will settle down and we get into summer weather.
    I will say this, my blackberrys, sand plums and apricots are absolutley loaded. Pecans are tasseled out and it looks to be a good year.

3. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Focusing on the Kiamichi's for deer season. Applied for preference points in CO (Elk, Muley's, Bear) and will for WY too. My hunting buddy and I are trying to combine points in a few years.

4. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Where at in the Kiamichi's? We have a cabin in Big Cedar. I spent my whole childhood down there. I got some big bucks on Cam down there last year. Several bears as well.

5. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a place off 259, north of Smithville. Seen some nice deer on camera, the area is all around good. Active bear on my camera already too. I'd like to scout out further in the woods this year, get some new sets. And we've been saying were going to float the Mountain Fork looking for entrance points, but haven't had time.

6. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    You're place is only a few miles from our then. Just a hop over 3 sticks. I'm on a lease near Smithville (just got on) so hopefully I can tag a bear this year. The Mountain Fork is an awesome creek and it runs into my favorite lake.

The Kiamichi River runs like 6 foot from our cabin in big cedar. We fish it often.

7. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's sportsmans country all the way. Tons of areas I would like to scout. I'm getting a bear tag this year too, hoping to bag one early on. Then focusing on WT rest of season. How many acres is your lease? Border national forest at all?

8. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if you've experienced this, but were over run with coyotes and fox. Dont see/hear turkeys hardly at all.

9. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I got 50-60 pictures of Turkey's last year. Could have shot several hens with my bow. I may go ahead and shoot one this year. Didn't see a yote or a fox all season.

10. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear it's not widespread. They shortened the season in LeFlore County so I was concerned.

11. hunterman927

hunterman927 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, I survived the flood! There were a couple of days that had me worried but we all made it out. As far as hunts go, I put in for four weekends in McAlester and a archery hunt in Sequoyah. Hopefully they’ll have all of the Sequoyah refuge opened back up. I don’t know if they’ll have any crops this year or not since it was all under water. Maybe wheat or soybeans?!

12. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad all is well with the flooding. The rain out in Leflore county has been consistent every week, creeks and rivers up way high. Has made it difficult to make scouting trips.

13. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I know I'm ready for 64 to open from Roland to Fort Smith. Old 64 has been packed!

I'd love to pull have Sequoyah bow tag. I pulled one a few years ago but it was doe only. I was hoping when it flooded the refuge if would wash all the hogs away.

14. hunterman927

Dislikes Received:

Yeah, they need to get that dang bridge fixed. I tried going that way and just turned around lol.
    I haven’t drew out in Sequoyah but I sure do hope to! The dang hogs probably was the only thing that survived lol

15. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I'm way past ready for that bridge to be fixed. Traffic is horrible since that happened.

I drew that doe tag in the refuge a few years ago and I kid you not seen 14 bucks the first morning all within bow range. Never had a doe in range all weekend.

16. hunterman927

Dislikes Received:
    I’m just glad that I don’t have to travel that everyday.

Man that’s the way it goes! Some guys drew out last year for the buck tag and after the hunt, they stopped in my uncles store. They never seen a buck but seen a ton of doe. Crazy how that happens.

17. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the drive since the flood has sucked for sure.

Those deer out there know what's up. I have seen some legit giants out there. Several pushing 200 inches. Use to walk up to them without knowing while we were duck hunting. When I drew out the Federal GW told me there were like 6 or 7 in there over 200 that they knew of.

18. hunterman927

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they know exactly what’s up! There are a some absolute giants in that place. I still duck hunt it some but I really enjoy driving around that place in August when they’re in velvet feeding in those soybean fields.

Well guys, today is the day! Good luck, I hope everybody draws something.

19. Coda

Coda Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have y'all ever hunted oolagah? I'm up near kansas border and just got a treestand. I'm trying to learn a whole new way of doing things compared to hunting NM elk with rifles and black powder.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

20. hunterman927

Dislikes Received:
    The wait is killing me!!!