Accuracy problems - shooting low consistently

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Cannon06, May 14, 2019.

1. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently got a Halon 6, which is a little heavier than my last bow. Been shooting for 6 years, never had a consistent problem shooting low before...I'm 2-3 inches low on at least half of my shots from 20 yards. My left/right is good. I've moved my sight up and still no change...any ideas on how to remedy? Are there any common problems attributed to shooting low? Thanks in advance.

2. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to say.
    You could ask an experienced shooter to watch you, or make a slow-motion-capable video of your shooting.
    I would guess the weight distribution is different, and the bow is tilting while you release.

Or the handle shape is different from your former bow, and your grip is inconsistent.
    Such a grip problem showed up after about four month of (rather decent) shooting, and took me some time to correct.

oldnotdead likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The above and incorporate a weight lift for your arms and wrist. Even wearing ankle weights around your wrist during the day when you can may help.

4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem and an experienced shooter said to raise my nocking point. Might give it a try.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where is the pin when the shot is breaking? Are you aiming low as well and can't get it into the middle of your aiming point?

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most likely dropping your bow arm. Keep it up till you hear the arrow hit the target

dnoodles likes this.
  7. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the advice. I try to hover dead center before I release and I'm probably anticipating release, not staying with my shot long enough. I've never had a formal archery lesson before, might be time. Pic is of a new target, most everything just low of intended spot.

Attached Files:

buckeye likes this.
  8. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes at times my pin is more easily positioned just low. Target panic? I use a caliper release, do you think a thumb release would help be more consistent?

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It’s shot anxiety. A release change will help break the cycle but you need to reprogram your brain to not anticipate if you want this to go away long term.

Blank bale a thousand shots with no target at 10 yards, and then shoot another thousand shots at that target from 10 yards while aiming. You’ll reprogram your brain to get comfortable with holding in the middle this way, and when done you’ll be shooting really clean shots. It’s a big commitment that will take several weeks but it’s the best way to do this.

Cannon06 likes this.
  10. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dunno if it takes a thousand shots.
    But according to my experience, 10 shots on ten days are much better then 100 shots on one day. Subconscious processing during sleep plays an important role here.
    I did it with my horsebow (thumb draw) for about three weeks, and it helped me alot.

11. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "Most likely dropping your bow arm. Keep it up till you hear the arrow hit the target"
    I'm an NASP coach and see this many times. Had one shooter raise the bow at release. I tell the kids that when I was their age, we used to play "statue." This involved swinging a person around by the hand and letting go. However you landed, you were supposed to freeze in that position. Same idea with archery- keep your body still until the arrow hits the target. I still have to fight this with bow sights- trying to watch the arrow flight instead of seeing where it hits the target. Bare bow allowed me to see the arrow hit the target.

12. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Makes perfect sense. I have moved my bowsight up to compensate, so once I improve on shooting low, I'll likely need to re-adjust my up/down on my sight correct?