Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like what the sailors called a bosun's chair. Interesting topic.

2. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the process of buying the jx3 hybrid saddle. It is as comfortable as a Summit and you don't need a platform, you just use the top of your stick.

3. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the concept, but it looks like there are way too many things going on with it. I believe there is a big thread on saddle hunter about it though. Let us know your thoughts!

4. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a guy that's tried it all.....but I can't get my head around the advantages of this type of hunting.

Berwickbuckmaster likes this.
  5. parkersdad

Dislikes Received:
    After only three sits in the yard I really think this thing has its place. I may use it 100% of the time. I think I will climb with the one stick method or the wild edge steps. I can tell you it is Summit Viper comfortable with the ability to get in any tree you would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.McArthur likes this.
  6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m coming off of a summit open shot. I hate tree selection with climbers and them getting hung on every damn thing in the woods, and that’s what turned me on to the saddle

7. parkersdad

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My wife took these after I came down last night. I was practicing the one stick method and man is it easy with the hybrid. My hybrid and my stick together weigh 12.5 pounds. Not bad for going far in.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So was set to order a Kestrel from Aero Hunter. Then I heard they were releasing a new model replacing the Kestrel on April 15th. Yesterday they annouced delaying the release because they got a last minute chance to offer a new camo pattern on the fabric. I could care less about the camo. I want to what the upgraded features are before I decide whether to wait on the new model, or just buy the Kestrel before it is discontinued. I am impressed with Aero Hunter's customer service. They have been very responsive and helpful when I contacted them with questions, but their marketing strategy is annoying. Just give the info on the new model and production release dates. :rant:

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would just order the kestrel. You can always sell it later for the price you paid for it. If you get into that preorder game, you may not have a saddle before the season. It happen last year to about all the saddle companys. Also it's good to get it and practice with it. There is some break for both the saddle and your body. Takes time to get use to the saddle and make adjustments. I have the kestrel and have no plans of upgrading, love mine!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got my sticks (hawk heliums) and made a two step aider tonight. Sort of free handed it and pulled it out of my ass. Also, I figured out a way to use my tether as an adjustable carry strap. I made a trial run and found I need to come up with a hook or something attached to my harness to hang my other two sticks of off as I go up. I have a lot of practicing to do to build up speed, but I like the set up a lot so far.[​IMG]

cantexian likes this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered a Kestrel and put my Hang and Hunt Set up for sale on Facebook marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

slickbilly-d likes this.
  12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! You will like it. If it doesn't feel comfortable at first, don't give up. Give it a few sits and keep adjusting the tether and bridge til it feels right. What size did you order?

13. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet. I’m leaning towards getting one but if I do it won’t be till probably later in the summer. I just got a new to me duck boat. So my money is going there now

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered a size 1. I had a chance to try one about a month ago along with a mantis. The Kestrel was definitely more to my liking. It is supposed to ship by the 24th so I should have all summer to get used to it.

Holt likes this.
  15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Don’ wait too long. Aero Hunter releases a new model on the 15th. I decided to just go with the Kestrel based upon the trial run I had.

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw that. And I kinda want the new one. I have the same predator camo already. And I have to match because the deer can tell if I dont

17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I thought about waiting for the Kestrel Flex. But, I didn’t care for the mesh on the Mantis I tried. It just didn’t seem to wear as comfortable as the Kestrel. I asked if the new camo patterns would be made available for the original Kestrel. The new camo will not be, so I didn’t see any reason to wait any longer to order.

18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys a heads up. They just released the new Aerohunter Flex Tonight. It's available to buy. It looks pretty sweet! I ordered one to try out for this upcoming season!

19. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That does look nice. Like the reflective threads in the loops. That’s a great idea. Also the broadside camo looks good too but sucks that is the one option that would be delayed in ordering

Holt likes this.
  20. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finally my ropeman 1 arrived, still waiting on the rope. I got the material and cut the pattern and pinned the webbing to lower section for sewing. Just haven't had time yet. I want to do a few thread tests to make sure stitching has a good lock .If not then it will go to the shoe repair to be stitched.
    The pattern is one where the sit drag will sandwich between the extra seat material. The tactical belt will as well with a sewn slit to pass through top layer on each side. Sewing will be redundant as in first to bottom piece of material and then the top being sewn to everything. If one were to fail the other is a backup. What you see is the botton sitting on top of the top pattern piece. That is the camo that will show on both sides when done.
    i know a lot of guys like the tactical tubular webbing as a bridge, but everything I've read says when taught and under pressure even he slightest edge can cut it like a hot knife on butter. Moving around with razor sharp broad heads makes me think personally not such a good idea.
    IMG_20190402_155543.jpg K

Last edited: May 15, 2019