thoughts on nieghbor issue

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, May 9, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That was thoughts on neighbors ..cant fix headings I see..

Ok So I have a couple of hunting camps on my borders. I have had some big issues with these over the years. The one I had to call the DEC in and then they stuck a stand 5 yrds off the line facing us, directly infront of a built stand I have 70 yrds off line. That was the last straw. So I bought the property across the street that they hunted illegally. Mind you they have 12 acres and opening day the drive and side of road would be bumper to bump with trucks. Opening morning I went out an hour before light and caught them crossing over. They scattered like rats when a light was turned on. That night there was a for sale sign up. In come the new guy. For years no problem. Then he passed and kid takes over. 40 something. I find a cam on my tree facing his land. So I walked around the cam and shook my finger no. Cam was gone on his next trip. Then his first turkey season As it gets light I look over to see him sitting against a tree directly across from my rather big brush blind 10 yrds off the line facing me 60 yards away. Then This spring I go out and there is a dbl ladderstand. against the old wooden stand The last owner put up 5 yrds from line. Oh and I found our metal posted signs in a pile along the line.
    So I know what I'm doing but curious what would you do. BTW.. I would mow for his dad, had the town deliver two loads of fill for his drive helped him get the town to repair his drive due to a wash out they caused, and advised him on his logging. We got along well and he knew he could call if needed help.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Uchase2 likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good fences make good neighbors.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start by trying to have a friendly conversation with him.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could try sneaking into his house while he's asleep, wrapping him up in his blanket and beating the literal crap out of him. Leave after he loses consciousness. If he doesn't wake up then no biggie.

5. tomcamaro97

tomcamaro97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    have a talk with him.. theres nothing wrong with a stand 5 yards off the lot line , as long as hes not going to shoot on your land.. the last 10 years i hunted a 3 acre lot.. all the neighbors had 3 acre lots.. there was no avoiding it with such a small lot. when i started , i put a stand up 20 yards onto my neighbors land, becuase the lot line wasnt clearly marked.. he gave me a call , i appologized, moved it , and we were great neighbors healping eachother track deer plenty of times. If hes only got 12 acres.. hes either sitting on your lot line... or the other neighbors lot line... if you hate neighbors being that close... buy that lot too. i think your being unreasonable. talk about yours and his expectations and you may find hes reasonable and a good neighbor..

I currently hunt 12 acres, and one of my stands is 5 yards off the lot line.. with my back to the lot line. and my neighbors stand is 35-40 yards off the lot line , facing the lot line.. were both perfectly fine with it...

even in your post you talk about your brush blind being 10 yards off the lot line... seems to be you have a bit of a double standard going on.

him removing your trespassing signs would be a big no no for me.

dprsdhunter likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ok
    1) I have and listened to him complain about the resident on the other side of him putting up a stand on his line. Lol
    2) one year I spent several hours helping him track a deer and getting permission from other neighbors.
    No , not into beating a person, unless they make the mistake of raising a hand to me. Then not even God can't help them. I am a get even type of person. Now ,later, in a year or 5yrs down the road. I'm patient and never ever forget.

Sorta
    you nailed it and the great thing is this guy knows I fenced off the last guy that caused me issues,trespassing, and I have several hundred feet of 6 ft chain link fencing. Not only that but I surround one side and his entire back line. Seriously I have no idea what goes through these guys heads. So I have already put up bright pink post at each legal survey stake along the line. Next I'll use a string line to place the rest of the poles. Once turkey season is over I'll leaf blow the area the fence will be on. I will cut away any brush and then take the fencing out to put it up. This will be done in stages so this has time to really sink in. Then there are the plots, see most of my activity has been across the street. But I just cleared a 12'x100' plot in the middle of the woods and I limed and sprayed a half acre 20ft x 30oyrds + in trails that I'll plant in clover. This is also in the middle of our land. Mind you there is a hundred acre field of cow corn planted along part of my other line. Directly across the street on our land is 12 producing apples, 2 mulberry, 11/2 acres of plots, 8 plum trees and 4 chestnuts . Then right near the house are 4 huge redoak, 4 pears trees. A bunch of other fruit and an apple. The deer really won't have a need to go through his place they can eat all the way through, across the road and down our land that is on the back side.It goes 1/2mile down hill to our swamp and another road..
    I know it sounds petty but I actually stayed away from this side of our land allowing the deer to feel comfortable and moving between his and our place. I didn't go in before light pushing them over to other neighbors. I tried to respect his time out here, yet he pushed and pushed. What in the world is the point? I don't get guys. Maybe he thought I was getting too old to keep up with his nonsense. SURPRISE!

arrowflinger1 and Sota like this.
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Tom,
    It is not unreasonable, when I nicely dealt with the camera, when I avoided the area so he'd have better hunting. When I avoid doing chores like cutting during hunting season when I have filled tags. I will have 2 grandsons hunting here in the future and they will not have some guy facing them as they are in a ground blind on our place. One more point and this is what sealed it for him. He placed that stand DIRECTLY in front of my built stand. He has plenty of other trees that the stand could have gone against he chose that tree. Just like the turkey hunting he set up directly across from a blind he knew I was using and facing me.That is aggressive. My grandsons will Be safe. BTW . thats how we now have 4 contiguous properties, issue bought, issue bought, ect...

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, there's your problem right there. You need a reputation to ward off the other Aholes.:busted::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps any suitable tree on his side of the fence line should just happen to die

10. tomcamaro97

tomcamaro97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    are you sure hes not just new to hunting / and or not thinking.. his stand went up over an old stand.. he prob figured it was a good spot.. i had a spot like that and if the neighbor was in his near stand i went to a different one. regarding the turkey hunting.. as it got light out he as 50 yards away.. so maybe he didnt even know you were there, isnt that the risk YOU take sitting 10 yards off the line?. he moved his trail cam right away.. to me that shows he respects you... i think your reading into it far to much.. have you had a chat with this guy yet to even say hi? express your concerns? sounds like your playing games while hes just trying to figure things out. if i were him.. ide appreciate a conversation as opposed to playing games.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Games? the trespasser is playing games starting with the trail camera.

oldnotdead likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Tom lets try this again. He was 10 yrds off his line facing my land. I was 50 yards off my line facing my land why? Because I shoot shot gun left handed and toward the right he was on my left. BTW he watched me shore up that brush blind to use it.
    I helped him track a deer years ago. I hate repeating myself, so He's not a new hunter. Oh did I mention that our dog started barking a lot at night once he took over his dads camp.
    He knew that stand was a issue for I told him the story of how I bought the land across the street. Now want to go so far as to do a poll on how many guys would shoot over a property line if a great buck was 25 yrds away on the neighbors?. Because I actually have and about all said they would and called me a liar when I said been there past that. So trust me he has been watching the movement on my place and that is why the stand was placed there. Its why I built my stand years ago and a blind behind that on my place.
    Now one more thing, this guy apparently tweaked the guy on the other side of him because a new enclosed tower blind showed up on his back corner. Then recently a dog kennel went up on the property line and the dog barks every time the guy walks out into the woods. The cam? He knew in advance it would be mine had it not been moved. i do not play games. Besides when he sells which he will. I'll have the good neighbor "policy " in place already.

13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:

Nah picman thats vandalism, I'm lucky to be a pack rat, I have been saving up this fencing for years got it and the poles free. I also have a few 100 ft rolls of 2x4 48 in high fencing.
    Here's a neat cheap trick for fencing out deer. Use your 48 in fence and taller poles then go to Sams or BJ's and buy the 230 ft roll of land scape barrier. Then stretch that tight over the top 1/3 of that fence making it taller BUT it keeps the deer from being able to look over the fence. Deer will not jump what they can not see over.

14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I didn't say snatch them up..one guy I chased down stepped.out of the brush ,dead center of our land and puffed out his chest saying " who the hell do you think you are? " Well I was.grabbing him so fast and spinning him around saying shut the F up and bend down so I can get your tag number ,I think I'm the B that owns this land and whos husband is taking down your plate number as we speak. He then gave a story, ya dropped like a steaming pile, then says "I'm leaving this way......" The hell you are ,your leaving the way I say you are". ..by the time he was half way to his van and I was still going at him full board, he did this... " but mama can I talk to your husband he'll be more reasonable" HAHAHA "WTH how stupid are you? Look at my face how red do you think you can make it !TALK TO MY HUSBAND!? This is my land. I'll see you in court..lousy 75.00 fine. He wasn't the last to puff his chest at me to see me step in to their face deflating them. It's my Irish

15. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The fence is a great way to deal with it! He should get the point then, the look on his face would be priceless lol. people just need to start respecting other people again

oldnotdead likes this.
  16. TravisSouth

TravisSouth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Outside of creating a relationship, I'm afraid there's not much one can do... Most likely no one would be present to see anyone shooting across the line onto you. It's a sad reality but few folks would think twice about it. After all the stand is facing your direction-