Boonerville’s 2019-2020 Semi Live Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by boonerville, Jan 28, 2019.

1. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I believe that is probably correct. Landowners may be allowed a second in KS? No idea on that. But, I also believe states like Pennsylvania and some others that have crappy age structure are also one buck states with rifles allowed. Michigan has crappy buck hunting and I believe they are only allowed a second buck with point restrictions. Point being, its the pressure allowed and what dates of the calendar the gun seasons fall on, not the weapons used.

Even though I am allowed to kill three bucks each year, I don't think I ever have unless I had an old warrior or cull that I wanted gone. Two mature bucks a year was always enough and probably what it should be. I always figured if I got two of my top end bucks I had a great year and that the rest had a good chance to make it to the next year and become something extraordinary. A few times that actually paid off big.

The only reason I have ever seen given against a weapon of any type is the same; A veiled argument about the herd health that really translates to fear that someone else will kill one of "my" bucks. Fact. Again, Iowa's herd management is for health and opportunity, not for trophy management. Its all the Johnny-come-lately's that have imposed their wishes on the Iowa DNR and confuse our low hunting pressure with management for older bucks. Not true at all or we would never be allowed to kill three bucks per year. They moved here because of low hunting pressure, not because of monster buck specific management.

Berwickbuckmaster likes this.
  2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know one thing. I for one, am no threat to the deer population in any state.

I can’t kill sh1t

cml5895, Okiebob, dnoodles and 5 others like this.
  3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to say... Thought you used your own bulk mineral or Purina. Mind sharing what you're using this year? I didn't have great success with the Purina I used last year.

4. gauge

gauge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't remember reading this before now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    You could with a rifle. It's like takin' candy from a baby I hear. You'll kill 'em all. Start putting in for your Iowa points and you can come here and give it a try in a few years. :biggun:

6. gauge

gauge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you offering land to hunt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. 206moose

206moose Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like to me you should be lobbying to change the 3 bucks a year rule if your goal is to maintain a good age structure. Iowa really would be something if everyone was limited to one buck a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I like the way you think. Honestly, its getting to the point that some of the farmers are begging for deer hunters. It truly is out of control in some areas. The amount of crop damage and the number of vehicle hits is brutal. Access once you get a tag is not really the issue. Getting the tag is the trick. Again, that's why the type of weapon used has little to no bearing on our herd structure. It's all about the amount of pressure, which is light. For a bottle of Crown or a case of cheap beer, you could access more acres than you would care to hunt in many areas. At least where the newcomers haven't leased up all the ground and locked the gates. But, honestly, a lot of that gets pounded when they are not around anyway. The locals keep pretty good tabs on their comings and goings. :ninja: I mean seriously, some of them don't take boundaries serious, so why should the natives?

gauge likes this.
  9. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a big fan of "if it's not broke, don't fix it"

As it stands right now, the age structure and quality in Iowa is great with the multiple buck limit, because the regulations in general are pretty good. So I would not advocate for a lower limit.

However, if by some strange reason rifles were allowed, THEN I would absolutely advocate for lowering the buck limit, and getting rid of party hunting.

10. 206moose

206moose Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think we should always be looking for ways to improve. It’d be hard to argue that a one buck limit wouldn’t increase the number of big old bucks if that’s your goal.

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    That is the goal for a small minority of trophy hunters. It is not the goal of the DNR and likely never will be. That would cost them a huge amount of tag sales. Our only revenue for the DNR.

12. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Must be hard being Fletch.

Try so hard but....

I know several farmers in Iowa and haven't heard of one complaint over too many deer?

I'm not familiar with Iowa Booner but I'm guessing it's by far open again fields with scattered bigger timber?

A rifle season will very much negatively affect the mature buck structure. Seen it first hand here in the red River valley of western MN.

Nice looking clover plot!. Still way to much snow here to shed hunt effectively but it's going fast.
    Gonna hit the woods this weekend.

13. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much. Iowa is just under 6% timber. Most of that is in far southern and far Northeastern Iowa. The rest is pretty open really. Lots of agriculture, lots of crp. Lots of brushy fingers and fencerows. Lots and lots of cattle pasture. The timbered areas obviously concentrate the deer.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love it when John Q Public has better ideas for wildlife management than educated, trained, experienced professionals, all because they know a guy who knows a guy who told him differently than what management professionals said.

15. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    It's actually been blessedly easy to be me. I have been blessed in many, many ways. Far more than I deserve.

You don't know any farmers south of I-80. Or if you do, and they told you they had no crop damage, then they share your room temperature IQ.

At least you admit to knowing nothing about Iowa. Probably why you are incorrect again about what kind of impact rifles would have here. Limited tags filled is the same whether they are filled with a rifle, shotgun, bow, or sharp stick. There are already muzzleloaders that are just as accurate as any modern centerfire rifle to extreme ranges. That has had zero effect either because again, low number of tags to fill equals low pressure on the herd. Its a pretty basic concept that is escaping a few folks. No surprise.

16. 206moose

206moose Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly the number of tags sold will determine how many deer can be killed no matter what weapon is used. They’ll adjust the number of tags accordingly.

17. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Oh Fletch, keep trying. Maybe you'll get more " likes" :lol:

Numbers are numbers but..., Iowa is a big buck state, no question about it. Rifles allowed WILL hurt that!
    May not be obvious for the first few years but.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah rifle hunting has ruined all the southern Wisconsin big buck counties.:lmao2:

Whackemnstackem and fletch920 like this.
  19. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    I think there is just a " tad" more cover in Wisconsin?

boonerville likes this.
  20. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Bingo