Game of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by S.McArthur, Apr 8, 2019.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no clue what's going to happen, but I am super duper pumped. Charter finally caught on that I was getting HBO for free and stopped that, now I have to find a way to get it free or be an adult and pay for it.

So many theories, I can't pick one, I'll just go along for the ride.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cannot wait!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You know one cold winters day I watched part of a season, it seemed interesting I might watch tonight.

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here are my theories:

1. Tyrion is a Targaryen - Son of Aerys who in the book was rather fond of Tywin's wife, and reportedly took certain liberties with her after Tywin and her were wed. This would put him ahead of both Dany and Jon in line for the Throne.

2. Jon Snow (Aegon Targaryen) is the true Azor Ahai - the prince that was promised (lord of light stuff) who has the blood of the dragon and was reborn in smoke and salt. Now that we know he is half targaryen and has risen from the dead, both prophecies would be fulfilled with Jon.

3. Jamie will be the one to kill Cersei. The Seer that told her that her little brother would kill her. Cersei always thought this was Tyrion, which is why she hates Tyrion so much. However, Jamie was born a few minutes after her as well.

4. Bran is Bran the Builder (who built the wal and winterfelll) (Bran the Breaker - the King of the North who defeated the Night King (and afterword destroyed his name from the world, aka why we call him the night king) with the help of the king beyond the wall Joramun (who had the horn of winter - rumored to be able to melt the wall)

5. The Night King is a Stark - The starks are the oldest family in westeros, plenty old enough to be around when the whitewalkers were created. The rumor is that The Battle for Dawn (the war to end the long night) wasn't won by man, but that there was a pact made between the Starks and the White Walkers - That as long as a Stark was in Winterfell, the Night King would stay away. Why would they agree to such terms? Well we have seen the White Walkers create their kind from babies of man, this rumor is based on the theory that the White Walkers captured a Stark baby and turned him. The baby then inherited the title the Night King, and remembers his ties to Winterfell, hence staying out of the area as long as his family still lives there.

6. Euron Greyjoy is the Drowned God, who was prophecy by the Maesters to Defeat Aegon. They assumed this was to happen hundreds of years ago with Aegon the Conqueror, but what if the prophecy was actually about Jon Snow and Euron Greyjoy? Euron is rumored to have the Horn of Dragons, which he stole from the warlocks of Qarth, that can control the Dragons. Yikes.

7. R'hllor (Lord of Light) is known to only have one enemy, the cold and darkness (aka The Night King). It is known that they believe anyone killed by fire "ascend to the hall of light" and that R'hllor will bring them back to fight in the war against the Night King. What does this mean for GoT Season 8? Dany burned Khal Drogo... Let that one sizzle :lol:

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's 15 dollars a month you tight ass:lmao2:

6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I broke down and upgraded, it came with Disney channels for my 3 year old, at least that's how I justified it. Damn near got sucked into a GoT marathon last night.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you start from the beginning, it seems a little slow and a myriad of sex scenes/nudity. They lessrn after the first season and it gradually gets better and better. I din't start watching it until season 6 so was able to binge watch it for awhile. Then season 7 came out and was only 7 episodes, and then season 8 took 2 years to come out.

Wish I would have waited in hindsight :lol:

Ldsturg likes this.
  8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to download HBO Go app, put in my xfinity email and password and it would not work. Internet only with basic cable. Put in my Directv account info and even though I don't subscribe it works. I can then cast it to my TV in full HD.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Whoa wait they got rid of the nudity and violence? Those were my favorite parts, the molten gold dumped over the guys head was awesome.

Swamp Stalker and ash d like this.
  10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Violence is always there as well as nudity, first season seemed more like watching skinemax on Friday nights back in the 80's. Sex without storylines :lol:

11. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    I drink and I know things...but not this. MnMoose paints an interesting picture tho.

dnoodles likes this.
  12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. I don't think that would give Tyrion much of a claim or path to the throne. That would make him an illegitimate bastard and their claim is fairly weak. I think John's claim is still the strongest because Dany is a woman and John is the only remaining legitimate son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen who, once his father was killed by Jamie Lannister, was the rightful king. I believe a princess like Dany only has a clear path to the throne if she's the only remaining line. I could be wrong. :lol:

3. My theory is that Arya takes Jamie's face after he is killed in battle with the dead and then she uses it to kill Cersie. The prophecy was actually in Valerion and it is not gender specific so it actually meant the younger sibling. Arya using Jamie's face would actually fit twice.

6. If John survives the battle with the dead army only to get shanked by Urine Greywater..I'ma gonna be pissed. I think Urine is going to be killed by Theon...I hope...I hate that sob. I don't think the TV show is doing a lot of the stuff in the books like the Horn of Winter or the Horn of Dragons.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

nerds.gif

Sota, CoveyMaster and Swamp Stalker like this.
  14. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    admittedly, I am a big fan of the show and was initially a fan of the books but they took so many years to come out with sequels that eventually I lost interest. Show is a lot easier to follow. Really hard to keep the book characters straight without the face to go along with the names. Given that the books are so character/conversationally driven it drove me nuts to have to go back and re-read the previous book just to refresh my memory of who was who in the new one.

17. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. Illegitimate sons of another father (Geoffry) have no claim. Illegitimate sons from the right father (Proposed Tyrion) would hold higher rank than a nephew (Jon) even if the nephew is legitimate, who holds more rank over a princess (Dany) - Ned Stark proved this when he sought out the bastard smith (Gendry) who Jon Aron died for by saying "the seed is strong". That saying is two fold, Jamies seed is strongly evident in Geoffry, but also in the books, both Gendry and Robert were built like Cleganes, dark haird, and STRONG AF. GoT finally started showing Gendry's strength by giving him a 50 pound hammer as weapon and showing him swinging it like the styrofoam hammer it really is :lol: If Jon Aron and Ned Stark were wrong about the lineage of the king, asll of Westeros is ducked since they were the two most honorable men aside from Ser Barristen th Bold. So in that proposal Dany really gets the shaft, but neither Tyrion or Jon seem interested in ruling and may surrender the throne to Dany, unless Jon and Dany get married and rule together, with Tyrion as the Hand which would in effect have all three Targaryens ruling.

3. IMO, the seer likely knew the difference between a sibling and a situation where Arya poses as Jamie. I would think she would have said "you will be killed by a faceless man" instead. The directors have already axed characters from Arya's list without Arya. The build up IMO is moving towards a Jamie killing Cersei situation, since they were in love for the first 6 seasons, and have said over and over that they are the only two people that matter. Thats a plot twist that GoT seems to like. Arya Killing Cersei isn't a plot twist, thats what she has been saying for years now. If Arya truly wanted to kill the Queen, she would already have done it.

6. I hope you are right about Jon, but I highly doubt Theon will be the one to kill him. GoT already went out of their way to show that Reek is still the dominate part of Theon when Euron tempted Theon to save Yara. It would be a waste to revert that now.

18. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. I disagree and think you are wrong in part, here is why:
    So the way the line of succession normally works is the oldest living (and legitimate) son of each ruler is the rightful successor or that first born's first born son. In your theory, Tyrion is Johns uncle, Dany's half brother and would be the younger half-brother of Johns father Rhaegar. So John's claim remains legally the strongest. If it could be proven Tyrion is Dany's half brother and he's legitimized then after John, Tyrion would be next in line and then Dany. Unless John has a son and then his son's claim is stronger than Tyrions or Dany's.

Think about the british line since this is what GRRM based the Westerosi system on.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kate-middleton/11484034/family-tree-sucession.html
    Charles is first in line = Rhaegar
    William is second = John Snow (Aegon)
    Since at this point John has no children then:
    Prince Andrew is sixth = Tyrion (would be second in line "if" legitimized) *Andrew is 6th because of Charles sons and because of Williams son and daughter. Even at that it's not exact because Tyrion is illegitimate so no real contemporary in the actual royal family I know of. It is the closest similarity though.

British law did away with the Gender Hierarchy but it still holds in Westeros so Dany is last even if Tyrion is her half brother.
    The wild card is that Dany intends to regain the Targaryen crown by winning it in war. Westeros considered the Targaryen crown abdicated when the last known Targaryens fled after Roberts rebellion was successful. So it could be argued that no Targaryen has a "legal" right to the throne unless it's by winning it in battle. That realization kind of makes the blood lines a bit mute. They may still hold some sway as far as a Targaryen being "accepted" by the Westerosi people, etc...

Then there's still a huge problem for Tyrion, he would still be illegitimate. From what we know of Westerosi lines of inheritance/succession, in story and because it's based on European history, an illegitimate son has to be legitimized legally before he can have any path to the throne. This easily discounts Tyrion because anyway because he can only be legitimized by royal decree and that's just not going to happen. It would take a stupid amount of mental gymnastics to even imagine a way to make that happen. Bran would have to be the one to validate the sequence of events to start with and then the story would have to go into unbelievable lengths to get proof and a legit royal decree. Cersie isn't going to do it and even if she did...I can't see it happening. Dany or John certainly aren't going to do it and abdicate their claim so...

Jamie and Cersie's kids had no legal claim to the throne if it could be proven they were not Roberts, here we agree. Ned and Jon A. knew Cersie's kids were Jamie's, not Roberts. Going back to the Royal Hierarchy, after Robert would be his oldest son or bastard but that bastard would have to be legally legitimized by Robert so Cersie and Jamie's children would have to be de-legitimized legally...that's what got Ned and Jon killed. I think Ned's only intent was to de-legitimize the lannister children and then he would have supported one of Robert's brothers as a replacement, not Gendry. I don't recall if it was ever revealed for sure what Ned's plan actually was. It's arguable that as Hand of the King that he would have had the leverage to get Gendry legitimized but that'd be a hurdle. I believe Ned was going to support Stannis so Ned and Jon were not wrong about the lineage or the order of succession.

3. It's arguable either way. All the prophecy said was Valonquar which is High Valyrion for younger sibling. Fans first thought it meant little brother until someone pointed out that High Valyrian is not gender specific and actually translates to younger sibling. Obviously that leaves things pretty open to interpretation so it could go a lot of ways and still hold true as a prophecy. I'd agree with you that Arya killing Cersei isn't a plot twist...but her killing Cersei while wearing Jamie's face certainly would be. I have no doubt that Arya is serious about killing Cersie, she would have had she not gotten sidetracked by being told that Winterfell was back under Stark rule. She had thought she was the last so when she learned she wasn't, Cersie dropped a notch on her priorities list. She decided to go to Winterfell and get her revenge on the Frey's along the way and then kill Cersie. Pretty understandable IMHO.

6. Well, who knows and the books may vary widely from the TV show so there could be more than one option that turns out to be true. TV writers like redemption arcs though and it seems like they have set up a couple here, one for Jamie Lannister and one for Theon Greyjoy. GRRM seemingly likes to set up redemption arcs then end them with brutal "eff you drama", lol. It would suit me just fine of dragons burnt up all of the Greyjoys in a spectacular column of greasy smoke. rofl

S.McArthur likes this.
  19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    now I know how you guys feel when I go on a 4 whiskey-deep political rant.

JeffC and Germ like this.
  20. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Soon...
    [​IMG]