Atv or sxs or something else

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Mywaytotalk, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Mywaytotalk

Mywaytotalk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used an older Atv, most recently a golf cart, and now considering what to use going forward for our hunt lease. Looking at the Kodiak 700, and Honda Pioneer 500. Always worried about sound levels and smell of being on Atv vs golf cart but the utility of the Atv is so much better. I want to be able to pull my trailer around my couple acres at home, haul things, use at hunt lease, and possibly pull some implements. Feedback from others that have navigated this road already? Do the new fuel injected atv’s limit the smell, is the small sxs even better, or should I be looking back at the golf cart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    sxs they can haul more gear and have room for your helper as well.

Mywaytotalk likes this.
  3. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the terrain. A sxs is less maneuverable and in my opinion gets stuck an aweful lot more. But yes with a sxs passenger room is nice but to me that's the only advantage. You can haul just as much with small cart behind your atv as a sxs will.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Moose utility wagon for my ATV and love it. I’m just so much more agile with the ATV compared to a SxS but I’m sure when the kids are older I’ll want something else.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  5. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Once you attach a cart behind your atv you have lost your maneuverability and risk getting stuck even more.

Besides, you can pull an even heavier cart behind a utv and haul even more stuff.

I've owned my Rhino 450 for 10 years and live on some pretty steep ground in hill country. It has a small engine and is not a speed demon at all. Although I have trails through my woods I have had to negotiate off trail through the woods due to blow downs several times and have never got stuck. Actually, I've never been stuck with my Rhino. I have put 10 bags of lime in the bed (500 lbs) and easily climbed my steepest hill to my food plot. I wouldn't want to try that with an atv pulling a cart.

I own a bar and grill that is located on the snowmobile/ atv trails and can tell you that now days the utv's are outnumbering the atv's.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  6. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    thank you for the feedback that's pretty cool I haven't been on a sxs in the snow but haven't heard anything good about them in winter unless you have tracks but yes I do believe you are right now days sxs' are definitely dominating the market

7. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    I can almost promise you though if you line a sxs up next to a 4 wheeler you will find especially if rates to the same power output that the 4 wheeler will outperform a sxs every time other than hauling passengers

8. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fits down almost all trails that utv can and drives or flat tows down the Hwy. 87 Suzuki Samurai IMG_0381.JPGa.jpg FB_IMG_1550294045912.jpg

Shocker99, justinwmoe88 and WillO like this.
  9. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
  10. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Would be a useful atv

Attached Files:

Shocker99 likes this.
  11. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen them tracked but then you can't run down the highway at 65 mph.

12. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Very true

13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A utv will out perform an atv in towing and pulling implements around a food plot. The reason is simply because the utv weighs more. For an all around work horse, the utv wins every time. The opposite would be true if we were talking just about the fun factor or trail riding.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  14. 1arrowshort

1arrowshort Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If your pulling implements, trailers and such, I would not consider a golf cart at all. As far as feul injection reducing gas fumes, no they dont. They are more feul efficient, maybe better throttle response and start easier than carbed wheelers. I wouldn't worry about fumes, deer smell that kind of thing all the time, they'll hear you before they smell you. As you can see from above posts you can go either way with a quad or sxs, it's personal preference. I use a Yamaha grizzly but I also trail ride quite a bit and some trails have width restrictions that sxs can't use. I'm a yamaha guy and had a kodiak before my grizz, so I'd say get that kodiak and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ATV pros vs. SxS
    More nimble in most cases.
    Easier to get unstuck.
    Cheaper.
    Easy to throw in the back of the pickup and go. Most SxS are wider and require a trailer or some kind of rack for pickup.
    Smaller footprint for storing.
    When going up steep hills load can be placed on front of atv...much prefer this over a lot of weight in the back.
    More skill needed in rough terrain or if playing, which can be a pro or con depending on your riding style and what you like. ( I was really into two-stroke dirt bikes when younger if that tells you anything)
    ATV cons vs. SxS:
    Easier to get injured if you roll, SxS has roll cage. Safer for precious cargo as well, i.e. kids.
    You get wet when it rains, SxS can be enclosed.
    Throttle thumb fatigue on long rides vs. foot pedal.
    Won't haul/pull as much.
    No heater option in cold weather...SxS just plain warmer with windshield anyway.
    Much easier to have conversation with passenger.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  16. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like my ATV for spreading seed and pulling a cultipacker or just knocking around. I like the SxS for grass burning or hauling stands etc. But, if I want to be stealthy and scent free I take the electric golf cart with the lift and meaty tires. If I had to go back to using just one, I guess it would have to be the SxS just because of the payload. I would just walk a lot further to some stands and likely leave it at home on most archery hunts.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  17. Mywaytotalk

Mywaytotalk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m so torn between all the options and the more I look the more expensive they get. I stopped to look at carts again this weekend. I can buy a refurbished cart, lifted, wheels, led lights, front rack, windshield, top, etc for under $5k here. I rode a Textron Prowler 72v and was blown away of the power and speed from an electric. I also rode the Textron Prowler XT which is also labeled under the Tracker Prowler XT and was really impressed and it was very quite. Price tags for the Textron stuff exceed $10k. I rode a Polaris Ranger and was impressed by the smoothness but it was loud. I’m limited on storage space so buying a used atv and a cart would make sense but may not be feasible. Anyone have experience with the Textron models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Mahindra

Shocker99 likes this.
  19. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 Honda Ranchers that I love. They’re not as “manly “ as a bigger atv, but I can maneuver them around in the timber or mountains. I also pull a small cart and have a 6’ harrow section that I run on the yard and road. Both fit in our toy hauler which is a plus.
    We’ve looked at SxS for the wife. Run the grands around and garden with.
    After 30 years in the oilfield, I can tell you that almost all the pumpers that jumped on the SxS bandwagon have went back to a atv. You won’t find any job that’s more demanding on a machine than that one.