Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been going to the gym steady (roughly 4-5 days a week) for about 2 months now. I go on the elliptical for 30 minutes and then run a mile after every time I'm there. I do leg lifts about once a week. Last Friday was the first time I've done weighted lunges... My holy damn. I could barely walk on Saturday, and that's not an understatement. My legs were so so so sore after 3 sets on 8 lunges. Sunday the pain moved to the muscles in my ass. Not a fun weekend. Will need to incorporate different types of leg lifts moving forward, seems my muscles have become used to my normal routine.

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Bulgarian split squats too. Total leg killer.

MnHunterr and fletch920 like this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Even my aging butt has been doing squats lately. Figured the best way for me to burn fat is to build up my leg muscles so they can give me some great workouts. Even after just 6 weeks of hard leg training Ive gone from having my legs burning at 25 body weight squats to not burning at all even at around 40 to 50 in a row. Hiking is easier as well. Also, been strengthening my hamstrings to protect my knees. I don't have time to get injured.

dnoodles likes this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want to get charged with human trafficking.

cantexian and Wiscohunter like this.
  5. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I've been kinda doin the same. Except with squats been doin deadlifts and rack pulls. Trying to strengthen legs, lower back, and hamstrings. Was brutal and sore as heck first couple weeks but now not too bad and start to get some more mobility in legs. When started could only squat to just about parallel on knees and now can almost go down to touching calves. Something else to try if wanting to strengthen hams and lower back would be straight leg rack pulls or good mornings. Which is basically a squat that you just bend at waist then straighten back up. When I do either of those i use pretty low weight and helps if you have some kind of rack at first to bend over and touch bar on safety bars on the good mornings. Its kinda awkward at first ha.

Also thanks oldnotdead. I used some bands tonight at end of workout to work on side and back pressure on shoulder. It worked great, when went still had some pain but afterwards theres almost nothing.

Pretty happy with workout tonight hit 215 for 3 sets of 5 on squat and 320 for 2 sets of 5 on dealift. Thats up about 30 on squat and idk on dl. When started my 1rm was 350 before grip gave out for 2 reps. Not whole lot with 240 bw but it's improving and thats what goin for. Never deadlifted before starting about a month ago so happy with that. Grip is gonna be what needs work before improve it much more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

davidingle and oldnotdead like this.
  6. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I need to get into more free weights. All of my lifts have been by dumbbells or machines. I feel I need some sort of spotter when I'm at the free weights. Talked to the manager of the Snap Fitness I go to and she said she would show me some workouts to help with muscles I may not be touching as much as I should (I told her about the dumbbell squats). She also recommended I incorporate some sprints/HIIT into my cardio.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The great thing about the gym I was going to, it was owned by the physical therapy group I went to. It was all the same place ,so if I had a pain issue they would steer me to or away from the best exercises for said issue. Almost like free therapy with the gym membership. Sadly they did a remodel and put in rubber mats not the carpet they had and took away all specials and increased pricing. The mats off gassed and I couldn't be in the building more than 5 mins without gasping. The price increase bothered me because we would have to give up machines for the therapy clients. I didn't mind that when pricing was OK, but they never added the extra equipment they said they would.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you listen to podcasts; Ben greenfield had a good one that covered a good variety of types of exercise and why... The exercise portion starts about 18 and a half minutes in.

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/lifestyle-podcasts/wellness-wheel/

9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Google what muscle flossing is and try it, single-handedly the best thing I have ever done for sore muscles! I use it daily. Got my set on amazon for liek 20 bucks.

10. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I spose I'll start following this thread.

I've always thought of myself as "athletic". Heck, I was a varsity starter in football at 6'2" 225lbs, what seems like magical numbers, and can keep up with the average elk hunter on the mountain, why would my ignorant self think otherwise?

This summer the scale slapped me in the face. I hit 247 and it was definitely not just another 22lbs on my 4-years-of-lifting-and-conditioning body from highschool. While I could carry the weight quite well with proper fitting clothes, pictures at the beach don't lie. I was getting fat.

The day I got back from my rutcation in November, my girlfriend (of only 4 months, don't feel sad :lol: ) broke up with me. Gave me some BS scripted answer of its not you its me, I dont feel the same way, blah blah blah. I was mad, I knew i'd be fine, but we were really good together. Never fought once, always had fun, we open and great at conflict resolution. I was starting to think about the future and then boom, gone. I decided to bury my feelings under a few hundred pounds of iron and behind countless miles on the stair climber. I was going to make her jealous and I didn't care how much work it took.

I had a rocky November getting going, but once December hit I was running full stride towards my goals. 48 workout sessions that month (and these were not '10 minutes on the bike and a selfie to prove I was here' workouts;) ) and 4 cheat meals total counting Christmas dinner as two :) I hired a nutrition coach that operates out of my gym and we got started half way through December. I began a new lifestyle of up at 4:30, Fasted cardio for 30-45 minutes before work, 5 strict meals and 3 shakes a day (1 on non-lifting days) and lifting after work 4-5 days a week. Sweat, Eat, Sweat, Sleep, Repeat.

My anger and emotions from the breakup eventually got replaced with a love for the gym, the people I met, the lifestyle, and my body. Now I see her and her new guy at the gym a few times a week and it doesn't even phase me. I made some really great friends, and joined the power lifting "clique" at the gym. Look up @thefreakshow83 on IG if you're bored. This dude is awesome and can move 2600 pounds across 3 lifts:eek2:
    I added a power lifting coach to the mix to make sure I am maximizing my time in the gym as well as my nutrition, and while it is hard AF to get through some of the days on the program, I love it.

Hiring coaches was the best thing I have ever done for my body. Hands down.

11/12/2018: 247lbs, 27% body fat
    2/22/2019: 215lbs, 15% body fat

The goal is sub 10% and then to switch and start getting bigger with muscle. Hopefully this will me my costume for halloween next year:)

god-of-war-kratos-taylan-apukovska.jpg

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You're killin it man. WTG!

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Current program for the next few months. Week 4 is hiking 3x for 60 minutes. Starts back over with week 1 after week 4.

IMG_5838.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

MnHunterr and virginiashadow like this.
  13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good job. Keep in mind that muscle eats up the O2 at elevation, come elk season.

But then again your young...

14. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Checked out the guys ig you posted, idk if the gym in the pics is the one you go to but thats kinda crazy if is. I follow Brian Shaw's YT page and he filmed couple vids month or so ago training there ha.

15. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    A breakup is always a good motivator to get back in the gym and always helps yourself with starting a new/healthy lifestyle. Just have to have the right mentality about the breakup.

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So here is my fitness schedule for today. Let's see how far I get, thats not a really wide shovel. Couldn't ask for a prettier day though. Not sure pics give full length of drive it goes past the house up to the garage.

IMG_20190228_093947.jpg IMG_20190228_093753.jpg IMG_20190228_093828.jpg IMG_20190228_093828.jpg

17. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That will definitely be a workout!

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks and yes yes it is,but 1/3 down!. In for a rehydrate and lunch.

IMG_20190228_113121.jpg

19. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Sure is! MetroFlex is where it's at! They call it the Midwest Mecca and it seems fitting. From the outside looking in, I can definitely see how it could be perceived either as intimating to the beginner or a meat heat gym with all the body builders. From what I've found, 90% of the people there are amazing, have the same goals, and work hard. Marshall and his group are awesome people to lift with and have already taught me a ton! I could also mention Eric Sweeney is the head trainer there and also the person doing my meal plan and Kayla Forcier - For all you guys that are into fit girls, check out Kayla's IG :biggrin:

20. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty cool. Be awesome to have gym like that around. We don't have anything close really. There's one thats not commercial but it's pretty hard to get into it. They limit membership.

Not goona lie tho if walked in whe them guys were there filming it'd be little intimidating haha. But actually they're all awesome guys and most ppl that ppl would consider intimidating in the gym are.

Here's the vids if you're interested. Mostly strongman stuff but idk what else they'd film haha.