Mathews Halon32 6, Hoyt Hyper force, Hoyt Carbon RX1, Hoyt Powermax

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Oldcarp, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the market for a new bow. My Hoyt Rampage XT. Which I have had for 8 years has a click in it when I draw back and we have tore it apart and cleaned and lubed everything we can think of. The click is still there. I just hate to be packed in somewhere and have it fail.
    My last three bows have been Hoyts. I do keep a bow for 8-10 years if it is shooting well for me. I found a good price for the Halon 32. It seemed to me to be a smooth bow and it felt OK. It is a little on the heavy side.
    Out of the three Hoyts I shot I liked the Hyper Force and the Power Max.

If you guys had to pick out of of the Mathews Halon the Hyper Force or the Power Max. Which would you pick and why?

Thanks

2. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it boiled down to this bows, I would take the Power Max. Least weight, proper DL adjustment, and price.
    I am about 120lbs at 5'8", so weight is an issue for me. I can shoot my Phenom (4,1lbs bare) fine for a while, but carrying for hours through the woods ?
    That made me think of a new bow, too. Plus the fact that the Phenom is maxed out at 50#, and >40 yards are difficult with the Ferocity, at least for me. Mind you, I seriously got into compound shooting less then one year ago.

As mentioned elsewhere, no legal bowhunting in the country I live in. So, primary application would be 3D, up to 60 yards.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    5'8" 120? Sweet jesus man I'm surprised you don't fall through your @sshole when you fart.
    Jokes aside look into the Helium it's a few years old now but I love mine and it's the lightest bow on the market I believe.

4. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No worries ... I know I'm a bit below the Average American BMI. Went mostly carnivore about 2 month ago, and hardly ever farting since then ...
    I'm thinking about a Win&Win Shadow Pro 34", a stable ATA length at only 3,5 lbs. And, I got an attractive offer (about 30 per cent discount), effectively half the price of an PSE Carbon Stealth.
    I wouldn't mind getting a used bow like Heli-M (or how it's called), even a single-cam bow.
    Only thing is - market presence of Mathew was AFAIK not so great here at that time, and I would need a LH model. In connection with Mathews-typical DL-specific cams a knockout criterion ...

5. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Halon, Defiant and Powermax. I was going to buy a new bow and planned on spending whatever it cost. The Powermax just fit me better and felt the best to me. I was pleasantly surprised at the cost. Carried it a lot of miles during elk season last year. Sometimes I look at other bows but just can't find anything wrong with the Powermax to justify a change

Oldcarp likes this.
  6. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I did like the price of the Power Max and in shooting the Power Max and the HyperForce I couldn't really tell a difference.

7. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I went with the Mathews Halon. I should have it by Monday or Tuesday.

8. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, the Halon 32 is a great bow!

Oldcarp likes this.