Need help. Moving to Virginia.

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by DoePeeSteve, Feb 18, 2019.

1. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t been on here in years so I hope this thread goes here (possible water cooler thread?).

My wife has decided to take a new job. We’ll be moving late July/early August 2019 to Virginia (from Pennsylvania ).

I’m looking for a club to join, land to lease, or a place to bow hunt. We’re moving to the Harrisonburg area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

About me:
    In my thirties. I retired my business a few years ago to start a family. I exclusively hunt whitetail (due to lack of time). I’m an experienced and ethical hunter. I’ve been known to come and track other people’s deer for/with them. I enjoy watching deer. I’m ok with passing on the little ones. Last year I had a lease in Kentucky, but due to illness two of the members will be dropping out and I’ll forfeit the lease. I have all the necessary gear to hang stands without hurting any trees. I hike to all my stands. I prefer to bow hunt, but if I have a place to rifle hunt I’ll sit a day or two.

On a side note: any tips regarding Virginia hunting would be greatly appreciated.

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't really help but I recall coming down I-81 and seeing several deer grazing under the lights of a billboard at the edge of town. Beautiful country. Wish you the best!

w33kender likes this.
  3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, the Shenandoah Valley is a special place.

4. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi
    I moved to Fredericksburg VA from Erie Pa. You will be surrounded by the Gorge Washington Nat. Forest. A ton of public land in that area. I have hunted bear over that way. Down side no Sunday hunting on public land. Check the VA bow hunters association for a club near Harrisonburg. VA archery season is so much better than PA :thewave:

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Or just follow VirginiaShadow's LFTS 2018 thread and try to scavenge his leftovers...if there are any.

6. mtnarcher

mtnarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If your gonna be in Harrisonburg they have the Rockingham bow hunters club . Great bunch of guys ,look them up they have a website, you will be close to Staunton and they they have the Augusta archers club. I'm in luray about 35 minutes away we have the broadhead archery club .

7. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. This has been very helpful.

8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I retired almost ten years ago. My wife retired almost three years ago. She recently stated if anyone goes back to work, it will be me. So...I about a year ago, I decided to become an outdoor writer and photographer. Got a lot of ideas.

9. Robert Gregory

Robert Gregory Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I work in Bridgewater and live about an hour southwest of there. Bridgewater is just south of Harrisonburg. There is tons of public land to hunt where I live and also west of Harrisonburg in the George Washington National Forest. Ialso have the Highland Game Preserve right across the road from me. I'm in working in Europe right now, but will be home at the end of this month. Gimme a call. 540-925-4437. Rob

10. LaytonRobles

LaytonRobles Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome back and congrats on the upcoming move to Virginia!

11. hyacinthyaffe5

hyacinthyaffe5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For hunting spots around Harrisonburg, check out places like George Washington National Forest or look into local hunting clubs—might be perfect for your bow hunting interests.