Pulled the trigger .. ordered a sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fadetoblack188, Feb 1, 2019.

1. fadetoblack188

fadetoblack188 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    alright so after months of going back and forth and being undecided . I am still undecided but I ordered one today.

I ordered a hogg father. Hope I love it. Seemed like the best option for me to put on my triax. Though the bow will be on the heavier side. I like knowing that I won’t have to baby it.

We shall see.

wildernessninja, dnoodles and WillO like this.
  2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good choice

dnoodles likes this.
  3. William Simmons

William Simmons Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a Spot-Hogg fan myself. I would say that the Hogg Father is a good choice.

4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't go wrong with any Spot Hogg sight. I just switched to a Fast Eddie double pin after using the same Hogg-it Hunter sight for 15 years (sight still looks and works like the day I bought it). No worries about babying the sight or breaking fibers. They're bomb proof.

dnoodles likes this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    same sight for me last year- I feel more confident in my shots than I have in 30 some years of bowhunting. I've always been a pretty good shot but now...damn. Lets just say I plan on doing a lot of 3d shoots with friendly wagers this spring/summer.

6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a fast Eddie XL on my Halon x Comp, also have some gun slinging not bow shooting buddies that I’m going to make some bets with. Their pistols vs my bow at 70 yards lol

dnoodles likes this.
  7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What makes the sights so good Noodles and Slick?

8. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the XL also. Love it

dnoodles likes this.
  9. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I’m sure there are other sights that are just as good. As far as hunting goes, I feel it’s hard to beat the $25 trophy ridge sight from Wal Mart. But for known 3d classes, I wanted to be able to dial to exact yardages easily. The Spot Hogg tapes have been dead on, so far, with a few different weights of arrows. My only complaint is pin brightness. They’re pretty dim, but they’re also the .010 pins, so that could be part of it. Like I said, though, it’s on my target bow, so I just shoot with the pin light on.

The fast Eddie XL is built like a tank and does it’s job very well. I don’t have expierence with the Hogg Father.

dnoodles likes this.
  10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    for me, I'm a big fan vertical pins. I also like the adjustability of a sliding sight. However, to my knowledge until SpottHogg came out with the Fast Eddie nobody else was making a 2 dot/single vertical pin adjustable sight. The Fast Eddie XL is their longer dovetail mount, so you get increased distance in line of sight, which makes for more accurate shooting (like a pistol vs. a long gun.)

With my current set up and 500gr arrows, when my top dot is set at 25 yards, my bottom dot is I think at 38? (I'd have to get my bow out of the crawlspace and look to confirm) but either way at distances from 0-40 yards I don't have to actually use the slider at all. Just aim the top dot a touch low closer than 25 and the lower dot a touch high out to 40. So for whitetails I'm G2G at all times with no adjustment needed. For 3D or when I go back out west I can use the slider as needed. I'm good to shoot out to 85; or even can use my level bubble as a 3rd horizontal plane to fling one out to 100.

Just as important as all that is however; SpottHogg just makes very high quality sights. Fitment and durability are awesome.

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    dude, it's 100% the .10 dots- go to the .19; they will blow you away! I originally ordered the .10s and sent them back even though they were $40 cheaper.

I meant to say in my last post that the .19 dots are amazingly bright; glad you reminded me.

Also, I'm not a snob- until I went to the SpottHogg my sights were Trophy Ridge Alpha V3s which were great for whitetail woods; and I still have their React V5 on my backup bow. Very good sights; just not as tough as the SpottHogg. Pins can get bent pretty easy if you snag them on weeds or branches.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Can you post a pic of the sight picture with the two dot vertical? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will love their products. I have had the hunter for 6 years. On my third bow and I can not ever see getting a new sight. Rock solid!

14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    you jerk- sending me into the crawlspace...

20190202_111800.jpg 20190202_111735.jpg

See how clean that sight window is with the vertical pins vs. horizontal? If it looks backwards remember I shoot LH. So right there as-is the top dot is dead on at 25, the bottom at 38. Just hold the top dot a little low closer than 25; hold the bottom dot a little high at 40 (or right on if you expect a string jump.)

Those little silver marks on the dial were put there by me- in case the tape ever falls off I know where my top dot will be at 20 and 60 (it's how you sight the bow in.)

You see where the bubble level intersects with the bottom of the pin? I can use that intersection as a sort of 3rd dot...when my bottom dot is at 85 yards, the bubble level intersect is dead on at 110 (either 100 or 110 can't remember exactly I'd have to play with it again.)

You can get the dots in a variety of colors- but something I've described on here before; but I picked these specifically. The bottom dot is a reddish orange that is not as bright/does not pick up as much ambient light as the top dot (which is green.) I purposely had it set up that way.

In the woods, as daylight fades out in the evening the bottom dot fades out as well so I know to start restricting my shots to under 30; and then even less the closer it gets to the end of legal light. When I can't see the top dot it's time to get down from the tree. Even if I could clearly see a deer within 10; if I can't see the top green dot it's after legal hours.

The reverse is true for morning- as light increases the bottom dot fades into view and my range extends correspondingly.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    virginiashadow likes this.
  15. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I can’t see the target at 100 yards with the .19 pins though! Also, my astigmatism makes a .19 pin way bigger in the sun. Just a big ol star burst.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I like a clear sight picture. I have a single pin but I'd like a pin at 20 and one at 40.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I get that at extreme distances for 3D it could be the difference between an 11 or an 8. But for hunting it's a no-brainer.

18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    dude, buy it I promise you won't regret it. If you do I'll buy it back at full price and give it to my wife (assuming you're RH...if you're LH I'll put it on my backup bow...so I won't be too upset if you're a LH also :evilgrin:

If I shot lighter weight arrows like you I am sure I would be set at 20 and 40. And even with these logs I'm flinging it's not much different. When mine is at 25 and I hold dead-on at 20 I am only like 2" high.

19. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I have a regular ol .19 5 pin on my hunting bow.