Handguns

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by janesburg, Jan 9, 2019.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an XDs .45 and I absolutely love it, feels better in my hand over the Glock. I will say, however, that the newer gen of XD seems better than my older generations of the XD. I sold my .40 after a few years, I liked it, but it there was something about it that I was not 100% on.
    I probably need to go shoot a newer Glock, haven't shot one since I was left the PD 7 years ago.
    The only 1911 I have (wink wink) is my Para with my unit stuff on it. Good shooting pistol, but it is more of a display pistol. I happened to find in a local shop when I went browsing, picked it up used.
    9.jpg

Okiebob and dnoodles like this.
  2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    have you shot a Sig P320 yet? Might change your mind on that statement. It did mine. Haven't bought the Sig (yet) but I have run a few 100 rounds through one and I am honest enough with myself to admit that the 320 has a better trigger and trigger re-set.

3. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t shot that Sig. I’d be interested to hear your opinion if you can get your hands on the Walther I posted. It’s trigger is supposed to be top notch. I found that a lot of places don’t carry it in stock. You might have better luck locating and shooting the standard PPQ 5” (not Q5 Match). They supposedly have similar if not the same trigger??

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I have not yet shot the Walther - in fact I haven't shot any Walthers except older all-steel. I have read/seen reviews that say the Q5s trigger might be one of if not the best out of the box striker fired pistol on the market. I do know several people who love the Creed also.

I was comparing the trigger of a Glock to the 320...the 320 is just better. I have no doubt that the Q5s is probably better than that as it is designed to be a race gun; whereas the 320 is designed to be a duty carry (it is the new standard-issue duty pistol for both DoD and DHS.)

That being said would I trust a 320 with my life as much as or more than a Glock.....uhhhhh.....let me pump a few thousand more rounds thru the 320 and then I'll get back to you.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot a sig in a few years. My friend had his federal issue one and I hated it due to the long pull. But reset was great once initiated

dnoodles likes this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot the Sig P320 M17 in 9mm para. and I was impressed. Fun gun to shoot.

The more times I view that Walther the closer I get to making a phone call to my gun dealer.. that thing is damn nice looking and after reading up on it a little.. I guess it will be easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

dnoodles likes this.
  7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    guessing the 229 DAK model. Worst trigger I have ever shot except for maybe a Ruger P85 Actually very similar trigger to a P85. Plus they were junk quality and weighed like 10# on a gun that was no longer than a glock 19.

Fix likes this.
  8. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t think the 320 is built at all to handle thousands of rounds. The fact that it’s the new choice for certain agencies was just because of cost.

The only gun I’ve seen handle tens of thousands of rounds is a glock. A friend of mine shot 40k with his stock gun before the agency he works for made him upgrade springs, haha!

Ive seen multiple 1911’s, sig, and cz’s bite the big one on the shooting line. XDs are very good guns I’ve only seen a couple fail. I shoot a glock 34 that has never failed.

The trick is with a glock is to not put a bunch of aftermarket crap on it, with the exception of sights. I dry fire all the time, and clean every 1k rounds. If you take the time and learn how to shoot one it with be your best performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

Don't get me wrong I love Glocks but they're the about the same price as the Sig 320. Even a little cheaper. So cost was not a factor in DoD and DHS's choice to go with the 320.

I am not a Sig fanboy; either. The DAK was garbage.

10. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry but that is wrong. Sig came in about 100 million under glock for the government contract. Cost was the reason. Some say it was because a 320 can be changed to shoot other calipers but that is false too as the government wanted only 9mm. I believe that the relationship between Winchester and sig was a reason as well. Cost? No way. The 320 is a very cheap gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    you may be on to something with the Winchester angle; I had read that DHS was moving to some sort of special training ammo that was supposed to save the Department tens of millions. Spread that savings across to DoD also and you are probably looking at the $100mil figure you referenced.

Something else to be considered; Sig has been in bed (rumored literally at one point) with DHS from inception. Other than CBP, I think since inception every other DHS component has always had a Sig as their standard issue sidearm.

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That Walther is a sweetheart for sure. I love my new Gen Glock and even a couple of the new Rugers have eaten everything that I have stuffed in them but when push comes to shove, I'm all about my Kimber Eclipse in .45.

Okiebob likes this.
  13. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My concealed carry is the S&W Shield. I keep a S&W .40 SDVE in my truck and a 1911 Kimber in my house.

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have trimmed my carry guns down to two. Summer a Glock 43 and winter a FNS 9c.

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carry guns are a 43 and a 19. I carry the 19 when I have enough clothing to conceal it and when it’s warm I’m carrying the 43. I’ve got a handful of others but they don’t get CCW use.

Longdraw likes this.