Picked up my bow today.

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Mak2, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Mak2

Mak2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was just always working on my career and busy etc. A month or so ago my wife was telling me I could retire anytime I want to...got me to thinking.

I went out and paid for the bow a few days ago and went and picked it up today.

When I was a kid I spent as much time as possible out in the woods in southern Indiana. After getting out of the Marine Corps I went to college, got married, had kids, and suddenly it has been 30 years since I spent much time out in the woods doing anything but fishing.

My oldest son is a avid bow hunter, we have several places to hunt and he has been begging me for years to go hunting with him, and he likes to coach me.

Anyway, about the bow, a few days ago I could barely pull it back, I am an old guy but I can still do 50 push ups so I was very surprised how hard it was to pull back. I am still sore, but today it seemed amazingly easier to pull back and it was set even heavier. I am not sure why. My son bought me a few arrows and we plan to hit the range as soon as possible. My son has 3 deer in the freezer so far this year, so I plan to learn and practice till next season.

2. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. Congrats on being one step closer to retirement. 2. I can tell ya from experience that your son is probably super excited about this. 3. It’ll get even easier with practice. Even just slinging a few in the yard here and there. 4. Thank you for your service!

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

StanfillKY, w33kender and Mak2 like this.
  3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Semper Fi. And welcome to the sport!

Mak2 likes this.
  4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations Mak. Now go do what jarheads do best with it and lets see some pics. :moose:

Mak2 likes this.
  5. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It will only get easier once you develop that muscle memory. Drawing a bow with a release is awkward at first, with practice it will become second nature. Best of luck.

6. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Semper Fi!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What bow did you buy?

CJ navy likes this.
  8. CJ navy

CJ navy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Photos are good too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

9. JasonT

JasonT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Drawing a bow uses things you don't even realize you have. It takes time and practice, alot of practice. I bet there are bodybuilders out there who can't easliy draw a bow the first time. It uses alot of muscles in your upper back and shoulders. Don't put the bow away in the off season and forget it. Good luck to you and your son in the future.

10. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The good ol bow works muscles you rarely use in a way you rarely do. Takes a bit to build up said muscles. I used those stretchy bands mimicking a bow draw to help build up. If possible with your bow dial back the poundage, and as you can easily draw that weight, notch up the draw weight and practice practice practice. Great stress relief too imo.

Tags: