What do you prefer to Hunt out of & why?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin Shankle, Dec 9, 2018.

?

What do you prefer to hunt out if & why?

1. Box Stand

3.0%
  2. Ladder Stand

39.4%
  3. Climber

9.1%
  4. Hang-On

45.5%
  5. Ground Blind

3.0%
  1. Justin Shankle

Justin Shankle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Planning on building a nice stand out of pallet wood to put out this spring. Plan on putting it on 4-6 foot 4x4’s. What’s y’all favorite and why

2. Roamer

Roamer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Use a Lone Wolf hang on that’s probably as old as the company is. It’s been good to me for many years it’s the only stand I own no need for more since I like to stay mobile always fine tuning my tree location based on conditions. Looking to go lighter and a little more mobile next year with a tree saddle system.

early in likes this.
  3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer ladder stands now that I'm older. My favorite is the Cee Bee lever stand. No ratchet straps or support poles required. It makes standing the entire time easy, as well as shooting from any direction due to the wide platform.

They're made locally in North Augusta, SC, and shipping is cost prohibitive, but I got it from a friend who travels that way for business from time to time.

4. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely my summit viper. It’s crazy comfortable and the only stand I’ve ever actually been able to pull off all day hunts in. Next year I’ll be getting a millennium hang on though just because I’ve had a few cases just this year where I couldn’t hunt an area because of no climber trees. I do a lot of public land hunting though.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

Swamp Stalker and JGD like this.
  5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am switching over to mostly ladder stands. I hunt my own ground most of the time and can leave them up. They are safe to climb into and hunt from and very comfortable. To be mobile, I will still use sticks and a Lone Wolf, but prefer the simplicity of climbing into a ladder.

Bootlegger and StanfillKY like this.
  6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now that Im older I prefer ladderstands. Easy to setup and less trips up and down the tree to get it in place. But I am starting to use ground blinds more. Especially in areas that thermals are a problem. The blind helps contain some oder and lets me get away with a little more movement.

7. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like them all but given the choices I would say the climber. Love the comfort of a Summit for all day sits.

8. Justin Shankle

Justin Shankle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Million dollar question, do you think a 6x4 61/2 foot tall, on 4 foot 4x4’s will keep mature bucks for showing up? Always be a lock on guy because I base it on the fact like if I can’t see the stand 30 yards away a deer won’t be able to see it at all. But I’m considering building a box stand to put out this spring for next year. Keep in mind it be looking over 3/4 acre food plot

9. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve hunted out of a couple of these clubhouse blinds and I personally just didn’t like it at all. Felt like I was sitting in a house waiting for a deer to come out in the yard lol just took it for me. I might not be the best resource though because my dad use to set me up on a picnic table on the edge of an opening when I was little and I grew to hate that too hahah shot deer there but didn’t feel like I was getting that “hunting” experience. Everyone is different though for sure.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

10. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer hang on’s, but the older I get the other options are looking good! You should be fine with building a box stand, but I would do it sooner than later so they get comfortable with it.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My LW sit and climb is the last stand I'll ever have to buy. I believe it's the quietest, most light weight, and most stable stand out there. I've had it 14 or 15 years now, with no issues other than replacing the sit rail bushings because of wear. I also have the Assault hang-on/sticks, but it just sits in the corner.

12. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My preference is hang on stands, the ease in which I can slide into the woods quietly and hunt makes it the most appealing to me. With that being said, I have killed far more deer (and my biggest) out of my climber. It is definitely more of a pain in the butt to haul it in and I have to take more time to do it, but I think that the deer do not get patterned to our presence.

13. jlewis1315

jlewis1315 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a 1.5 man ladder stand (Big Denali) - I love it, it's comfortable with a large platform. Can't recommend it enough

14. Jerry Casperson

Jerry Casperson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt out of all of it. BUT i will always pick a hang on first. I just find them more comfortable then ladder stands, and i have always hated ground blinds (even though i hunt out of one once in a while)

15. mnhunter01

mnhunter01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a hang on, gives me more tree options, have more shot angles and uncomfortable enough to keep you awake most of the time. I use my climber when I know which exact tree I'll be climbing and setup my stand where I can see deer coming far enough away to prepare for a shot.

16. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a short guy so most hang on stands are not comfortable at all with seat heights of 21". May as well just stand

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, funny I'm 6'1" and I think the seats are all too short.

Okiebob likes this.
  18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer a hang-on. They allow me to hunt in just about any tree. Can't use a climber very often around here, just not the right kind of trees. Ladder stands are good in spots where you hunt every year, but you still have to have a decent tree, so many of my tree's lean one way of the other, making squaring up the ladder stand tough. I have a tower blind that I will hunt out of in bad weather, but it's not the same hunting experience for sure.

19. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have modified some hang on stands in the past. It's a pain having to do that.

I am thinking of buying a Summit stand that has an adjustable seat. Think it was 16-21 inches.

I am just waiting on the logging company to get done at my public land spot to see what is available for stand sites.

20. iBowhunt

iBowhunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We've gone to all ladder stands. We had several hang on stands over the past few years, but have replaced all with ladders. We like the stability and east of getting into it. Also, we take two youths to the stands with us, so a double seat ladder is the only option.