Bow Sights - Pin Sizes and Colors

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hossco, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Hossco

Hossco Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Everyone - I apologize if this topic has been discussed on a prior forum but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I'm interested in your feedback for the best sight pin size and color combination for a multi pin sight. I'm 52 years old so my eyes aren't what they use to be but not terrible. Some say to use .010 diameter pins for 20 and 30 yards then the .019 diameter pins for the remaining. Also, it seems most like green for the first pin color but there seem to be a lot of debate for the rest of the color combination for the remaining pins. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This doesn’t answer your question however have you considered a single pin adjustable?

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually go .19 for the top pin and .10 for the remaining pins. Always green.

Hoenstly you can go .19 for everything and you wont find be missing anything.

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  4. Hossco

Hossco Newb

Dislikes Received:
    so all of your pins are green?

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes when I can order custom pin set ups info all green. If find it's the best color in all conditions

6. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered a .029 pin for my HHA sight.
    I can't even see a .010 pin.
    I have difficulty seeing the .019 pin that is on my sight.

I prefer a green or red pin color.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll give another vote for .019 green pins. Green is by far the brightest and easiest to see in low light - for me anyways. I do have a 0.10 pin on my current hunting setup and it's not bad in good light but when it gets dark things can get a little hairy and I need to turn my sight light on. I'll likely switch it back to a 0.19 before next season.

When it comes to pins you generally want the larger ones for closer distances and then decrease in size as you go out. The reason being the further away you are from the target the smaller it looks and you want a smaller pin to be more accurate. A larger pin will conceal a great deal of your target at distances of 40 yards and beyond.

8. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot an Axcel armortech with the .019 pins. I just buy the sight as it comes. Here is my reasoning. I can see the green pin the best and when it starts getting dark I will not shoot past 20 anyway. I can see the red and Amber pins long enough to do what I need to do

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer .019 on my 5 pin sight. Mine are setup green, yellow, red, yellow, green. Another thing to consider is a peep sight with a clarifier and a lens in your sight window. Think of it as reading glasses for your bow.

10. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    .19 or .10 for me. Always always green. Red is the last thing to show up and first thing to go away in low light conditions. Yellow for me just kind of disappears depending on the back ground. Corn and CRP especially make it do a disappearing act. 19 is good out to about 40, when you get passed that a 10 is really nice to have but not a must need or anything.

dnoodles likes this.
  11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    .19 for me. My set up is green, red, green, red, green. Have never noticed one of those colors disappearing faster than the other. i can't see yellow pins except in bright sunlight and also lose them in corn stubble or soybeans.

12. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    .10 hha slider sight. best site ever made. I don't shoot past 30 yds ever. so one pin for me. I have never once moved the slider in the woods..

BB1 and Sota like this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Set my hha single pin at 25 yards, never moved.

14. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best color that shows up for me in low light is also green. Yellow is next best, red last.
    When my eyesight was still 20/20 (I need readers now) I had no issue with a .010” pin, but now a .019 shows up much earlier in low light than a .010 does. My elk hunting partner and I compared pins early one morning this year, my .019’s were much more visible to both of us than his .010.
    My next sight will be a 3 pin mover, .019 .019 .010. I still like the .010 for long 3d bonus targets that are 50+ yards.
    All hunting I’ll take .019 every time these days.

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    .19 all day. I can't see .10s reliably and a .29 is too big for pinpoint shooting.
    I have a Fast Eddie 2 dot on my primary rig that's both green, I have a Trophy Ridge React V5 on my backup that is also all .19s and all green EXCEPT the 40 yard which is red- that's the way it came from the factory but it makes sense as once it fades from view it's about time to hang it up in the woods and out in the open it means longer range than that is too far.

16. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to use readers now....dammit! when I am reading...so far the .10 has not been an issue

17. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    I can still see the .010, but it’s no comparison to how much sooner a .019 can be seen back in the timber when shooting light is just breaking. My hunting partner has a fast Eddie double pin, a great sight, but it just didn’t compare to my Cobra .019 fixed for the pins glowing at first light. I easily had my pins showing up 10 minutes before either of us could see his well.
    I actually have been running an all .019 pin fixed for hunting, as I won’t take shots at a real animal far enough that a .019 isnt just fine for, but still much prefer my HHA single .010 for 3d. I do love a .010 for spot shooting. On a 20 yard turkey target the .010 fits inside that small 10 ring while a .019 covers up the whole thing.

dnoodles likes this.
  18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    interesting- I didn't know that Cobra was still making sights.
    The FE- If I can't see the pins I can't see the animal well enough to shoot unless it's right on top (or under) me against a lighter background. That's what the rheostat is for although you being in ID I know that's illegal.

19. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    It is a cobra 7 pin fixed I bought about 3 years ago at our local Sportsman’s Warehouse.
    And yes, the rheostat has been stored away ever since I bought it. I’ve never had a situation that I could see the animal well enough to shoot and couldn’t see the pins. Like you said, they are picking up enough light to glow before an animal is more than a shadowy blob. If I needed a rheostat to see the pins I probably wouldn’t be within legal shooting light.

20. Jeff222

Jeff222 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I go with the .19 size and green or yellow for color. Red pins are blurry for me. Switched to a CBE Tactic Hybrid single pin and am really liking it so far. I put it on 25 yards and am good from 20 to 30 with a little drop on 30 yard shots.