Team 16 - The Xtreme Dirt Nap Boyz

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Bronson, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a local city park doing a one time archery hunt to thin the heard. I really want to give this a try, hoping to find time to do it this week. Would have to wear orange and truthfully I've never set foot in this park before. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Logman likes this.
  2. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had 4 does come in to 20 yards Saturday night but they were facing straight on to me. So I let that opportunity pass thinking they’d present a cleaner shot. They were all grouped together and moving together, they knew something was up. They worked in the area for another 20 minutes, mostly out of range and in brush. They passes a 30 yard hole eventually but same story, didn’t present a good shot. Eventually I watched them work their way off.
    I was excited to see some deer! I’m hoping to get out this week sometime, we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Blarney22 and HuntinKB51 like this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Long time, no update boys! What's the story out there??

I haven't hunted in two weeks since the first IL gun season. Weather has been crappy, wife has me busy doing holiday & kid stuff and my motivation is pretty low since I have a couple in the freezer already. I have set a goal for myself to kill "a" deer on WI public before the end of the year so I'm going to give that a try. I know this weekend is the state-wide antlerless hunt so I may sit that out and wait until the last of the orange army has gone home then do some scouting and see what I can find. In the meantime I may make a trip out to my lease one afternoon this week for a quick afternoon sit just to see what's left after gun season. Need to check a couple cameras anyways.

4. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Justin, I've been on a forced break from hunting these last two weeks. Thanksgiving, 3 birthdays and busy at work.

I spoke with my wife yesterday and we figured out a couple more hunting opportunities for me before the season ends. I am going to do that state park hunt I mentioned next week and I will also do a late season bow hunt at our cabin after the statewide antler less hunt is over.

I need to practice setting up my lone wolf in the back yard in preparation for this state park hunt and then I will feel better about the whole thing. I just hope it doesn't take me half an hour to get set up. I've watched plenty of video's but still am bit apprehensive. I have 4 spots picked out via OnX maps, I am hopping the place is not over run by hunters. Going to go on a weekday to minimize the chance of running into another hunter. Just have to go into it with an open mind and see what happens.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Setting up a LW isn't all that difficult - just try not to rush anything. Leave yourself plenty of time and go slow. You'll make less noise, get less sweaty and be safer. IMO too many guys are trying to put up their stand as if they are racing against someone for money. On my hang-hunt trips I like to take it easy, take the majority of my heavy outwear off and do it nice and steady and quietly. I don't worry about making 1 or 2 extra trips up and down if I have to. Sometimes people act like making another trip down and back up is going to ruin their hunt or cause them all sorts of extra time. I've never had an issue taking an extra 5-10 minutes to get set up.

6. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips. I am thinking I can hang the bottom 2 sticks from the ground or close to it anyway. Then I'll hook in with the linesman belt and hang the next 2. Then I'll get down tie up to my stand and bow separately and pull them up one at a time. I have an hss rope style tree strap in case I have to get over a branch.

I have it clear in my head what I want to do, just need to see how it works in practice. I'm pushing 260lbs so that's not going to help me at all

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I usually do my bottom stick from the ground and then the rest as I go up. If you can remember to hook your stand to your pull rope and then tie that off to your harness you should be able to hang the sticks and stand on a single trip up the tree. Then I make a trip down, relax for a bit, cool off, hook up my bow, get dressed and climb up.

SharpEyeSam and Blarney22 like this.
  8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same. Even though I forgot my Lifeline and had to go back to the truck for it.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the long absence. Been hunting Property #1 mostly. Bucks are starting to show back up now. Hunting Property #2 again starting next week, Landowner did not go up the last 2 weeks of November like he normally does. Looking to have a Good Later Season. Keep pounding guys!

Blarney22 likes this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning Team 16!! Are you alive out there?? Come in, Team 16! :lol:

I did a hang & hunt last Friday afternoon at my lease. Ended up seeing 4 deer and could have shot a mature doe but it was getting dark and the footage wasn't the best so I let her pass. I'm still going to try and shoot one more doe on that lease before the year ends but I want it to be perfect. Then I hunted Saturday afternoon here close to home and the only thing I saw was a skunk. So I literally got skunked.

Not sure if I'll get out this weekend or not. Wife has plans for me and it looks warm/rainy/wet. I'd rather go scout some WI public than actually hunt my spot so if I can find some time to sneak away I may do that. Or I may just sit at home, eat cookies, watch football and get fat. Who knows!

11. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Well yesterday I took a half day from work to do that city park hunt I have been talking about. I got to the park, paid the admission fee, and got suited up. I hiked in about a half mile with the Lone Wolf strapped to my back and then got a phone call from our daycare. I answered it in the middle of the woods and they told me that my youngest had just puked and I had to abandon the hunt and go pick her up. My wife is a teacher so she does not have the flexibility I do to leave at a moments notice. I was definitely disappointed but family comes first in my book.

The city park hunt ends this coming Sunday but I have heard there have been so many people hunting there that it has been counter productive and the deer have been bumped into the neighborhoods surrounding the park causing damage to the neighboring properties.

I am going to head up to our cabin this weekend and give it one last late season try. After this weekend I am booked solid until after the season ends in WI. Hoping for a buck but I will take another doe if the opportunity presents itself.

Good luck to everyone that is still hunting.

12. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey y’all, sorry I have been MIA work has had me slammed for the last month. Finally the cold is setting in here right n southern Louisiana. Looks hopeful for the rest of the season down here. Y’all keep getting after it.

Blarney22 likes this.
  13. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys been extremely busy between exams, wrapping up the final renovations of my home, finalizing the insurance claim, work and family. So safe to say I haven’t been near the woods. I’m hoping over the Christmas break I get to do a little hunting, we’ll see.
    On a positive note, we got 6” of snow in Raleigh this past weekend. Earliest snow I remember! I hope we have a cold and wet (snowy) winter.
    Good luck to anyone out in the late season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Here we go, late season. Almost no wind whim I'm not crazy about. The snow is rediculously loud to walk on.

[​IMG]

Logman likes this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Snuck out for a hunt this afternoon and popped a big fat doe. Great evening in the woods - finally didn't freeze my tail off, a nice light breeze and a pretty sunset. Had 3 mature does come in with no fawns and give me a 9 yard chip shot that I couldn't pass up. Between work, holidays and ATA show I won't get many more sits before this year ends so I figured it was a good opportunity.

Blarney22 likes this.
  16. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Justin. I saw 10 does tonight but no good shot opportunities. See.waht happens tomorrow

17. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Well last night I saw 9 deer, could have shot two different bucks but they were both tinny basket racks. Have 7 other does and fawns all around me. I didnt let an arrow fly but what a great way to end my 2018 season. I am pretty sure that was my last hunt of the year. Good luck to everyone else out there still grinding away.

Logman likes this.
  18. Russ morton

Dislikes Received:
    The Wind is all wrong today for my bow sets so rifle and box stand it is. It is friggin 68 degrees right now. UUUGGGHHH

19. R22

R22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh..what a lame season to join the contest. I've been out a fair amount but maybe once since Thanksgiving. Then it has been busy with family and work. Now I'm out east on vacation til Friday or so. I doubt I'll get another hunt in before the season ends in ND.

Sorry for my lack of contribution. It was fun but frustrating. Maybe next year!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20. Russ morton

Dislikes Received:
    Well gents my season ends in 2 day. I just got back from Dutch Harbor, Alaska. I had a ship with two main engines broken. I apologize for not contributing to the team. When next year rolls around I will be back at it. luckily for me I can hunt hogs all year so I will add that tot he practice schedule. Maybe next year!!!