BowHunting -Short DL Quandry

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by CrispySmurf, Dec 1, 2018.

1. CrispySmurf

CrispySmurf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, I've caught the proverbial "bug" from "In-Laws", and I'm bursting at the seams to get started prepping to begin bowhunting next season. I have been looking at used compound bows on Ebay, while trying to learn as much as possible on several different forums.

I was initially looking into a Mathews Switchback or Z7. I know that I would need a shop to give it a "once over" and I would have to buy a new cam or module to adjust the DL most likely as I have a 26.5" /26" DL. (stocky build/ short arms)

Recently I decided to stop in at a local archery shop to ask their opinion of my plan. They actually brought up a few points that I think are good, but wanted to garner a third party opinion (you guys!)

-If I buy a bow used, then I do not get the warranty. From what I have read Mathews has a good warranty and good service. Also, in buying a older bow and swapping cams/modules Id be shooting slower, and essentially a bow that isnt setup optimally for me.

-The pro proceeded to say that Mathews released a specialty bow just for my type of archer....The Mathews TX-5. With a short Axle-to-Axle (28") and a 5" Brace Height this bow apparently remains "optimal" for shorter draw lengths.

I shot about 5-10 arrows through the TX-5 at #60, it felt great! I didnt have much to compare it to, but it sure felt good!

Now, Im trying to decide what the smart play is... Do I pretty much triple my initial budget (do-able financially) and get all new and rely on the shop pro to get the bow all tuned and provide initial training, or do I buy a used bow and just use that for a few years?

Ive seen/heard many people shooting their bow for 10+ years. I also know there are people who buy every year. This world is new to me, so, I guess Im just looking for some opinions of which route I should go. I do like the idea of getting the new technology that is more or less built for shorter draw lengths, but then again, you dont know what you dont know.

2. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My DL is 23 inches (short arms because of a hereditary bone disorder).
    I bought a used Diamond Razor Edge at the Pro Shop here in town.
    They set it up for my pathetic DL and set the DW. The DL on this bow is adjustable from something like 17 inches to 30 inches in half inch increments, without changing cams. Maximum DW is 60 pounds.
    Mine is currently set to the 23 inch DL and 60 pound DW. (It pulls an honest 60.2 pounds according to their DW scale)

I would suggest you take a look at a used Diamond Razor Edge, or a used or new Diamond Infinite Edge or Edge SB-1, the updated versions of the Razor Edge.
    Both if these can be adjusted to your DL without changing cams, and have a maximum DW of 70 pounds.

I bought a used Infinite Edge for my nephew/godson (age 12) since he'll never outgrow it.

3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can't go wrong buying a new bow imo. When I committed to bow hunt 99.9% of my time in the deer woods a couple years back, I treated myself to a new rig. I have zero regrets. It's two years old and I've had to tweak the sight once. My fixed blade broadheads shoot like field points. I have great confidence in my gear.

IMO, a used bow is a great idea for guys who are adept at tweaking a compound bow, those that are their own bow tech. Or are patient and adept enough to learn to do that.

But playing devil's advocate, I've got friends who hunt with a switchback and a Z-7 respectively. If your in-laws can help you get one of those two set up with the correct modules, go for it. You'll probably save $500 minimum. My buddies who shoot those bows see no need to upgrade; they're happy and they kill stuff better than I ever will with my newer bow.

Welcome to the sport. You're never too old to start!

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Following... short DL here also. 26.5"

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

5. CrispySmurf

CrispySmurf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Part of my concern is that the fps in an older larger BH and ATA bow will be so low that I may have trouble hunting some midwestern whitetail. Though, I don't know enough to really know. Should that even be a concern?

6. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Folks killed deer in the midwest and elsewhere with slower bows than a shorter DL on a switchback or z-7.

You may not have enough kinetic energy to have positive results with an expandable broadhead with a shorter DL, but imo, a fixed blade broadhead is a better choice anyway. But I think they even make expandables designed for shorter DL shooters.

If you want to get a new bow, go for it, though. It's a good feeling to have your first bow be on fitted just for you and hot off the assembly line. You never have to upgrade unless you want to.

7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt worry too much about what is “optimal” shoot a bunch of bows and find what feels the best. You can get most bows to fit you. As far as new vs used. You can save a ton of money going used. Check out archery talk. I’ve never heard of anyone needing to use a warranty on a bow unless it was bowtech I’m around the 26.5 for a DL and I’m shooting a creed XS. Just get the correct arrow setup and a fixed blade BH and you’ll be good to go. With my DL and DW I wont win any speed records but I shoot a heavy arrow (510ish grains) so I’m ready to punch through anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ThrustWasher

ThrustWasher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed tons of deer with my recurve and its shoot much much slower then your bow would be shooting! If the TX-5 felt good to you (And that's all that matters) Then I'd say buy it! I'd always recommend shooting a variety of bows first but that's a decision you have to make for yourself!

9. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If money is not an issue and you’re 100% committed to this endeavor...
    1. Support the local shop, get fitted correctly, take advantage of the customer service.
    2. You will pay the same or more in the first year after getting work done by the shop because you didn’t buy from them.
    3. Support the local shop, online sales are killing the archery industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OfficerX likes this.