Best lighted nock?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by rockhound100bopd, Nov 12, 2018.

1. rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys think is the best lighted nock? I've only used Nocturnal and the Carbon Express launchpad, and have had mixed feelings on both.

I have had the Launchpad break on me after a passthrough and stick in the ground on the other side (light shut off). Both have had issues with flying a bit different than normal unlit nocks.

I shoot CE Mayhem Hunter 350's, 38.5", w/ 100 gr broadheads (switch between Rage Trypan and Innerloc Slice fixed), Mathews Z7, 70 lb, 28.5" DL.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I went up to the plot this afternoon to retrieve the arrow I ran thru a buck saturday evening. The nocturnal that was laying in the snow in temperatures from 7 -22 degrees for almost 48 hours was still brightly glowing.

copperhead and rockhound100bopd like this.
  3. TN_Guy

TN_Guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot nocturnal and not had to much of an issue. I did buy a pack that one in the three did not work but their customer service took care of me no questions asked. However, I have been looking at firenocks. They are a lot of money but from what I have read they are awesome.

4. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use nocturnal and agree with Sota, they definitely have a great battery life. I still find them a little bit of a pain to turn off. I also end up glueing mine in because no matter how tight they fit, they get loose in extreme cold.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did make the mistake of leaving them in place after the light went out and it broke on release and was a dry fire my limbs broke apart soon after.

6. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only issue that I ran into in the Nocturnals is that the blood from the animal gets into the hole. This may cause it to malfunction!

Sent from my VS987 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

TooL1915 and TN_Guy like this.
  7. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched over from using the launchpads to Nocturnals. I like them a lot better. Why? I feel they are easier to install. I have had multiple launchpad knocks go dim from limited practice. I have had multiple break. That was two seasons of testing them. Will see how the nocturnals hold up however, season one...perfect with one doe taken.

Easy test. Install one of each, then try to remove them and see how easy that is to do. Launchpads have been a total mess for me to do that.

8. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can you elaborate, what went wrong that caused a dry fire? Just wanting to avoid the same

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot nocturnals. And as said above they do have awesome battery life for sure. I had one not work out of the pack this year and one has since stopped working. Battery is good on it too just turns on when I shoot and is off by the time it’s halfway to my target lol. Honestly I used the cheaper nockouts a couple years ago with awesome success. I really liked them and probably woulda went back to them if I didn’t get the nocturnals for a good price. The nockouts were brighter too..

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

10. fferazzi1

fferazzi1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem. I then tried Glory Nocks. They weigh less and are easy to turn on and off. Check them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have not had a single issue with Nocturnals. My only complaint is that they make a little buzzing noise in the quiver but if you shoot with it off like I do, no issues. I do wish they'd be brighter during brighter light, but I think they all have that issue. I like their simplicity and light weight as well.

12. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've gone through just about every lighted nock out there and Nocturnals get my vote as well. I preferred the generation of Nocturnals before the current batch but I still think they are the best. I too have had issues with blood getting in them after running it through a deer...small price to pay I say.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used my hunting arrows for practice arrows after season, I shot the nocturnals long after the light died many shots. One day I shot and the nock broke resulting in a dry fire. I brought the bow in to be inspected and tuned, 50 shots later the limbs failed. The only nock I have ever had fail and that was after many shots.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I left the nocturnal lit after I shot my buck, it was covered in blood and stayed lit in my shop for 6 days.

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They all suck in one way or another. Honestly they are more trouble then they are worth.

16. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think most people that shoot them would disagree. Not only have they helped me find my arrow many times but have also aided in locating a down deer. They also help me see exactly where I hit the animal in low light conditions.

Sota likes this.
  17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea well I guess thankfully I am not most people. I shot a few different brand and think for the most part they suck and are of shoddy inconsistent quaility.

18. mrjohnsmitt

mrjohnsmitt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer Nockturnals. I do like the older style better than the newer ones. I had some bad experiences with Nock Out's when they first came out. I won't use them again. Lots of folks are happy with them though. I just don't trust them any more.

19. Edeupree

Edeupree Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I keep one red/green strobing Nocturnal arrow in my quiver. I only nock it if I'm going to be doing an evening hunt. My one complaint with them is that you have to be super careful how you nock the arrow, a couple of mine are "touchy" and will light if you nock them to hard. Other than that I've had them stay lite and bright for over 24 hours and they are great if you do any twilight target practice.

20. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer nocturnal, they are easier to install and easy to turn off. I prefer the brightness of Lumenock, but I can never get them installed correctly and they have turned off on a few shots after hitting the target/animal. I can't ever get them to turn off correctly either. Probably all operator error, but I'll stick with what works for me.
    Those are the only two I've tried.