Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Sounds like you had a great time. Who cares about points! :)

KDORSETT12 likes this.
  2. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Hello.....hello....hello, is there anybody in there?.....just nod if you can hear me.....is there anybody home? Hey guys pretty dead in here. I know some of you are like me and get stuck on the Live thread. Hope everybody is doing ok. Still a lot of time left. Have a lot of work coming up. 60+ hr weeks but I’ll get after it again around Christmas. Hopefully in the cold over some brassicas. Other than that I may have a couple evening sits since i work 4:30am-2:30pm. If I roll straight to the stand I could make it for the last hour or so. Good luck to all who are still after it

KDORSETT12 likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    337B447F-F3EB-4DFB-A9AC-1806E8CF6A37.jpeg Oh yea... this is great. My buddy sent me this pic from his place. Long story short I set up on a field, THIS field. Didn’t like the set and couldn’t find another tree I liked. So I packed up and moved to a field over. Then this guy came out about an hr later... story of my life haha! He isn’t a big scorer and only looks 3.5 but what a unique rack. I would have let one fly.

KDORSETT12 and slickbilly-d like this.
  4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been resting, spending time with the wife, and playing red dead redemption 2. No bucks on the cameras. Hunted Thursday morning and Saturday on two different properties and saw nothing. I got my does all cut up, vaccum sealed, and made some jerky as well. Kind of started to make the transition to indoor season and have been shooting quite a bit more. Next weekend I’ll be back in the stand.

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't seen a deer moving since rifle season ended, that is pretty normal. We got a pretty good storm over the weekend, thought I might start seeing does moving again but still nothing last night or this morning. I hope to get out and hunt this weekend but it will be few and far between here on out. Just trying to put meat in the freezer at this point.

Shocker99 likes this.
  6. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sorry I have been MIA...I have been grinding pretty hard and have been worn out from hunting. Posting on here became a low priority. Sorry I have no kills to post yet. I was hoping to have a 200+" on the ground, but he has been kicking my butt. I'm still out every chance I get.

7. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive moved on to some rifle hunting as archery is out and we have 1' of snow. Lots going on at work so little time early and late in the day. Archery comes back in after Christmas but most likely we will have 2'+ on the ground. Tough hunting.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Shocker99 and slickbilly-d like this.
  8. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Started seeing deer move again last night and this morning. Going to try to get a couple sits in this weekend. My family farm still has around 200 acres of corn standing so it should be pulling deer in at this point. He cut the end rows and a few swaths where the ground wasn't as wet, one would think these will quickly become travel corridors. I'm going to try to hunt these with a blind and field edge stands, unfortunately on this farm I don't have a lot of field edge stands to work with.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been grinding at it myself. My dad came out from New Mexico the day after thanksgiving and we hunted together until Sunday. He connected on a doe Sunday evening. Never thought I would see my dad shooting an xbow after years of shooting a custom Black Widow recurve but he seems to like it well enough. He did bring his Earl Sr. custom recurve and some flu-flu blunt tips so we could squirrel hunt but we never got around to it.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  10. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well at least I can put some points on the board.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!

boonerville likes this.
  12. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer guys! I haven’t hunted since the day before Thanksgiving. I have had zero time to run cameras or move them around so all my intel lately has only been coming from Cell cams. I’m only getting one shooter on camera and he’s not regular enough to get excited about hunting him which is fine with me because I am swamped with work and in the middle of a bathroom remodel at home. We are slated to have a warm and wet weekend so that will work out for me to get the bathroom tile job finished without missing any decent hunting opportunities. Hope to get out maybe Sunday and run some of the cameras that have been soaking for a while and see if there are any other signs of life. I still need a couple deer for the freezer so I’ll get after the does in earnest during December.

Good luck if you get out there.

Shocker99 and slickbilly-d like this.
  13. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Another nice buck from early summer showed back up. Seems like everything is nocturnal right now. Another person has received permission on the property I hunt, and he’s been back there mowing trails and hunting in the locus patch, which I was saving until late season, but oh well, so it goes. It’s been a really frustrating year for this particular piece of property with the coyotes, nieghbors shooting pistols while I’m hunting, and now another person hunting on a 40 acre patch.

I feel like I’m going to have to get pretty creative here in the late season. My brassicas didn’t perform, so I don’t have a green food source like I had hoped. Indoor season is here and I need to be shifting gears and pounding paper with my target bow. So I’ll hunt when I can and on fronts and cold snaps.[​IMG]

Shocker99 likes this.
  14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I was a little down and frustrated but checked pulled cards and I am recharged and ready. IMG957872.jpg

15. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Well it’s not over yet but looking back on this season it’s been really weird for me. I couldn’t find the hot n’ heavy action to save my life. I saw some good bucks and had a couple good opportunities. 3 deer in the freezer but I definitely lowered my normal standards on the buck. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining one iota. Just thought with finally having a cool/cold fall things would be different. I guess I was always just in wrong place at wrong time. Still having blast just scratching the ol noggin

16. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This year has been a real head scratcher for sure. I am looking at it from a learning standpoint. I need to change my stand locations to adjust for routes that have changed over the last couple of years and lay a few logs down to maybe change a few of the deer paths. The farm has gone from being totally no pressure to being pressured over the last 6 years and they have changed up their patterns accordingly but I have not.

Shocker99 likes this.
  17. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    I can relate to this but I struggle because the guy I mostly hunt with doesn't see it that way. He is stuck on his "lucky" stand locations and likes things easy. I made a point of buying a few ladder stands on black Friday to motivate him to rethink his habits. If that doesn't work I'll move on but that is hard because his property is probably my favorite place to hunt.

Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well hey ya'll! I'm heading out this evening, all day Saturday and half a day Sunday. I stayed off the place all week and am hoping they get up and move this evening after the last two days of high wind and rain.

Shocker99 and pastorbigdan like this.
  19. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headed out today w/ the smoke pole. Might be off w/ the bow but it will be fun none the less.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

drenman, Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  20. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    So I know it really doesn’t matter but it looks like we are shorted 50 points on our total score if you do the math. I’m sure Brad just made simple oversight. It is a close race for 16th place! :rock: