Team 16 - The Xtreme Dirt Nap Boyz

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Bronson, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Morning fells! Awful slow with the updates lately. What's going on??

I hunted at my lease all day on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Saw 12-15 deer each day including multiple bucks but nothing I wanted to shoot. Lots of 1 and 2 year olds and does. I think I saw one 3 year old and one other deer of unknown age but with a HUGE body and small rack. The action was fast and furious pretty much all day long. I don't think I went more than 2 hours without seeing deer in those three all day sits.

Not sure what this week is going to look like - need to get some "work" done so it may be a few afternoon sits at the local spot. I'll probably pick up a firearms tag for this weekend and plan on sitting all day Friday/Saturday at my lease with the bow. Maybe the neighbors will push the good ones in by me where I can kill them and end this madness.

bry2211 and HuntinKB51 like this.
  2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday and Saturday had does, fawns, and a couple two year old basket racks come in. Sunday was slow for me, saw one doe.

Sunday evening was my dad's first sit of the year. He said he had a good buck come in but from what he described to me, he came down with a classic case of buck fever. He pulled up the crossbow, got brown in the cross hairs, and pulled the trigger as fast as possible. Complete miss.

He redeem himself 10 mins later and he took a doe. His second deer ever.

Gun deer starts here next weekend so going to let the bow rest for the next week. Looks like I'll be hunting late season again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

overactor and HuntinKB51 like this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You have a gun tag? Why not just throw on the orange and take the bow with you this weekend? That's what I'll be doing.

overactor and HuntinKB51 like this.
  4. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still kicking around that idea Justin. It will be a game time decision. I'll have both bow and gun with me.

HuntinKB51 likes this.
  5. R22

R22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as I get back from hauling a load of corn in good time, I'll be putting some orange on to go to my treestand tomorrow afternoon.

There has been 5 days of gun pressure plus the rut is in full swing. No telling what's gonna happen.

Hopefully something good for me!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HuntinKB51 and Blarney22 like this.
  6. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Friday I got to the stand late and jumped 4 on the way in and saw a small buck dogging a doe right at last light. I went out Saturday to my big plot stand and my 11 year old wanted to tag along. It was pretty cold and he cant take the cold to well. (not because of any ailment just because hes a pansy like his mother.) But with not seeing a deer for the whole sit, we got down about 15 minutes early. The next morning on the way to church I saw one of my shooters in the same field with a doe.

This weekend is youth firearms and my 11 year old and 5 year old are wanting to go. I can take my bow with me with the 11 year old but not the 5 so we will see how it goes.

The bucks still seem to be very active in my area. Just not at the stand im sitting in.

HuntinKB51 likes this.
  7. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My cousin shot a nice 10 yesterday evening around 5. My uncle text me to let me know in what I thought was a reach out for help tracking. After texting for a bit they decided to not look for the buck til this morning. Just thought I would post the scenario to see what you guys would do.

My cousin said that he wasn't really sure of the shot but he thought he got guts. Found the arrow and it had that bad smell and no blood on the arrow. He didn't try to find the blood trail because he was afraid of pushing him. Sounds like an obvious wait til morning situation but we were due to start getting rain/freezing rain at around 10pm. So do you hold out as long as you can before the rain comes before taking up the track? Or do you wait it out till morning and just grid search the area? I really don't know what I would do in that situation and was just curious what everyone else would do.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If I was 100% sure of the gut hit I would wait and grid search the next day. Going in before the deer is dead isn't going to do you any good anyways. Crappy situation. Hope he finds it!

Hunted last night and saw one dinker buck. But my cell cams were blowing up with bucks by the other stands on the same property. Guess I just picked the wrong spot! lol. Heading out this afternoon for one last sit before the orange army shows up tomorrow. I have a gun tag so I'm planning on sitting both Fri and Sat all day with my bow. Between the rut and the gun pressure they should be moving.

bry2211 and Blarney22 like this.
  9. R22

R22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to go out after dinner today. Just a spike came through at sunset. Heard 2 huge bucks that just turned out to be tree rats.

Also heard a single gunshot..definitely not a good sign for the rest of my sit.

Not sure when I'll be able to hunt again. Between work, family, Thanksgiving vacation and more work...time in my stand will be very limited.

10. R22

R22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kids are sick so we had to cancel the plans we had tonight. Cold, perfect wind, I get another chance to hunt. Let's go!!![​IMG]

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I had possibly the worst weekend of deer hunting on my lease that I've had in 5 years of hunting that farm. It was awful and I'm not sure why. Neighbors were shooting all around me so the deer must have been moving! I was the only guy on 100 acres and sat pretty much all day Fri a saw a couple does and some small bucks. Saturday I only saw one button buck all damn day. It was awful.

I'm taking a break for a couple days - maybe get out Thanksgiving morning and see what happens.

12. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the hunters around you are like the ones around me, they all could've been shooting at the ones that you saw. Lol

It amazes me how much shooting goes on. This weekend was youth season and you are supposed to only have 3 shells in your gun. I know I heard "kids" shooting 4 or five times consecutively. They have to know when they start shooting that the are squeezing until it clicks.

That sucks but hopefully it gets better for you this weekend!

13. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife has been seeing a nice 8-10 point around 10am every other day or so. I went out weekend before last when the baby took a nap and saw him the 1st day in brush along his rub line and couldn't get a shot, was within 35 yards. The following day I was in the same spot and he was on the other side of the power line right of way from me with a few downed trees between us. I have him a few soft grunts with no luck. he looks to have been getting beat up lol last weekend didn't see anything at all both days until after dark. I may hit it in the a.m, my daughter (13) is in for thanksgiving and we are going to hunt this weekend. Borrowing a friends cross bow for her and he wont be back until Friday.
    Good luck to everyone. There have been some nice bucks around my place and this 10 point is 3-4 and looks good they have been pushed up in the property behind mine, just coming down to eat at night lol

14. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did hear on the wired to hunt pod cast that spencer shot a buck, but I think it was with a rifle. My buddy jon was in SD for a week on public land mule deer hunting. We are planning a trip for next season in advance so I can run with him

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Spencer did kill a pretty good one with a gun. Cheater!

They finally cut the corn on my lease last night so I may head out on Saturday afternoon for a sit. Deer were on the corn literally an hour after the combine rolled through according to my cell cam and it's been a pretty steady parade all night and this morning. Hoping that if there's any shooter bucks that survived the gun fight last weekend they're starting to feel hungry.

overactor likes this.
  16. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hope everyone’s season has been going well. Sorry I’ve been MIA a lot. In August my house had a tree fall through it and we’ve been in a hotel since. Construction started about a month ago and it should be wrapping up a week or so before Christmas. But y’all know how that goes.
    There hasn’t been to much hunting going on for me. Maybe 5 times this year, and only one sit that I’ve seen deer.
    I’m sitting in the woods ought now and plan the same for tomorrow. Hopefully I can get one on the ground in the next couple days. I’m craving a good deer steak and deer jerky.
    Happy thanksgiving y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Had a good sit tonight. felt good to be out with a chill in the air listening to the wind blow. I had one spike come by and walk under my tree but I let him go. He hung around for about 5 minutes and killed around and then kept walking.
    I’ll be back out tomorrow morning hoping for a doe to come by!

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Damn man, that sucks!! Living out of a hotel sounds cool, but it's a total PITA.

I haven't hunted since last weekend. All my gear is in a big pile in my garage and I'm not sure when I'm going to touch it next. Wanted to hunt my lease this weekend but warm temps, rain and winds got me thinking I may stay home and put up Christmas decorations instead. We'll see.

19. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    It was cool for about a week and after that I just wanted to be back in my house where I could look out of my back window and see woods. We’re in a hotel in the city close to my work so it’s a far cry from what my family is used to. SO much traffic, concrete, and botax. I can’t take it. Even my 3 year daughter is tired of living here and says she wants to go home haha
    We should be back in a couple weeks before Christmas thankfully.

It’s supposed to rain here tomorrow morning so I’ll be out in the afternoon unless something changes. Good lucky y’all!

20. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    I've been quite for a while. I received confirmation that two of my target bucks didn't make it through the gun season. One of them was killed this evening, last day of rifle season just before dark. Oh well, good guy and he hunts hard and does alot of habitat improvement. Happy for the guy.

Logman likes this.