Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Kestral and Mantis. Still waiting on the mantis. I decided to try this route because of some neck and back surgeries. I cant carry the weight of a tree stand and my filming gear anymore. The Mantis weighs only 18oz. That sure beats 21lbs for my lone wolf climber. This past Sat I hunted bear for four hrs. out of the saddle while filming for a young buck from work. It was awesome. no discomfort whatsoever. IMG_2141.JPG

Happy likes this.
  2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_2144.JPG IMG_2144.JPG

Happy likes this.
  3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just want to hear from somebody who's done an all day sit during the rut with one these things. I climb trees for a living, and I spend a lot of time in a saddle, but I would not even consider one for hunting. There's too many variables. I'll stick with my LW. :biggrin:

SheddingLightTravis likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have. There is no more discomfort then hunting from a stand. I would always need to stand once and awhile doing all sits on a lock on. It's the same with the saddle. Every couple hours I go from sitting position to a leaning position. I did 5 hour the other night just leaning and only had mild hip pinch the next day. But that's normal for the first few sits of the season no matter what I'm hunting from. There is night and day difference between a hunting saddle and arborsite saddle. You should try one sometime since you are a climber, you might be surprised how much you will like it. If you wanted to try mine one day, I'm only 30 minutes south of Philly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Western ma here if anyone wants to try a Kestral

Trenton Loewen likes this.
  6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the offer Holt, but this old dog ain't learning any new tricks. Seriously though, I would feel too restricted in one. And being a climber, I have an understanding of the concept, but I just don't see much advantage to it. As far as being able to shift to shoot behind the tree, that movement's going to get a guy busted most of the time. To each his/her own. :tu:

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that. One big advantage is the weight. My entire setup is probably around 10 lbs. Including harness, platform, and climbing stick. My saddle weights less then alot of tree harness alone. The first time you have a long hike in and have to setup, that's where there is a big difference. Takes me maybe 5 minutes. I'm not trying to convince you, just throwing info out for anyone else reading. And the offer is always open if you want to try it one day!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So, I've been researching this style of hunting for my future public land hunts.
    Q1: What if you need to add layers for warmth or change socks? Obviously, the #1 tip of public land hunters is to "go where no one else goes", so I will need to cool down, then add layers.

I may end up going with sticks/lock-on, but this seems like an easy idea to get into some crappy locations.

9. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been researching this too and intend to purchase a saddle this offseason. I’ve been looking for used ones too but they are few and far between. I’m thinking the mantis with platform is the way I’ll go at present.

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can add any layers while in the tree. Pants or bibs are the hardest to do. You have to Un buckle the waist strap to put on pants, but every thing else is just like a lockon. I usually put my bibs on at base of tree before I climb. Then while setup I will put on my jacket once I cool off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

S.McArthur likes this.
  11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What are you using for foot placement to move around tree when the shot presents itself?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I built a small platform out of seat and a 12" piece of a lone wolf stick. It's pretty much a really tiny lock on stand. Only weighs a few pounds. They do sell pre made ones, But hard to find this time of year.[​IMG]

Wop 75 and truebloodmorelia like this.
  13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I'm liking this idea.

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would be worth your time to meet up with someone that already hunts this way and try there setup. Your type of hunting would be perfect for this. I hunt different tree and area every sit, and almost any tree I can climb. More limbs the better!

virginiashadow likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sold. Plus I'm getting older and need to drop some damn lbs off my back on the hikes in. Lol

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    What brand saddle do you have?

17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude the last 2 years I have done a couple public land hunts with friends and laugh with all the gear and stand that they have to bring in. I wear my harness and everything else fits in or on my small back pack. It so nice! A couple days I walked 3 plus hours before setting up. Never know you have your whole hunting system on your back. Don't know how close you get to MD these day, but if your up this way and want to meet and try it out, let me know.

18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Aerohunter Kestrel. There also have a Aerohunter Kite, which is the mesh verson. Also a new company just started. It's called tethrdnation.com Mantis

Oly44 and virginiashadow like this.
  19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Ty for all the info buddy. I'm going to buy one this off season.

Oly44 likes this.
  20. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been looking into this a ton the last month or so. Reading and watching everything I can. I’ll probably be picking a kestrel in the off season along with a predator platform. Then I’ll use my LW sticks for run and gun. But I’ll probably preset some trees with screw in steps.

There is a forum specially for saddle hunting you guys can get some good info from. Along with G2 outdoors on YouTube. He has some really informative videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk