RACK AND ROLL! TEAM 14!

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by kjstaudt86, Aug 13, 2018.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    AC2702B3-88A2-4AF0-AA3F-EA4D6CFB4F27.jpeg Well sad news for me today. Our number 1 that we have been watching for a couple years has been shot by the neighbors. My buddy had his chance a week ago and missed with his bow. Truly a sad thing to watch especially when you've watched the deer for so long on camera.

early in, dustywilmuth and kb1785 like this.
  2. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Overall I don't think we are doing too bad off in the competition guys! We have a couple guys I need updates from to put their deer on the board but other than that keep your head up (including myself), its the rut anything can change at any given time. I'll be in the stand Sunday through Wednesday of next week plus any chance I can get from here on out on weekends.

Rack and roll!!!

early in and kb1785 like this.
  3. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Quick update on my adventures. Went to the farm this past weekend for two reasons. 1 it was my mothers 80th birthday and in the past year she had moved into a house that my brother and I remodeled that is on the farm and 2 was to hunt for the big deer that has been seen there. I hunted every morning and only 1 evening due to celebrating mom's birthday. Saw a lot of small bucks chasing and the last morning saw a decent buck that moved through and chased 2 does away. Didn't see the one I was after though and won't get back down there until thanksgiving so maybe my brother will get a crack at him. He is obsessed at this point. Gun season started down there this weekend and we have always had problems with trespassers since we bought the property 3 years ago. My brother and I only bow hunt and have posted the farm and tried to let the deer grow and develop since it was overhunted before and the deer population was down, especially the bucks as most down there practiced "if its brown, its down" mentality. This is the first year that we have seen an excellent deer on the farm so maybe we can start producing some better bucks. We patrolled the property a couple of times and didn't see any trespassers so hopefully the word is getting out. It doesn't hurt that we are friends with the game warden and he does a few courtesy patrols for us.

Haven't been able to get back in a stand yet this week but hopefully this evening I can sit. Hope everyone else has a great rut.

dustywilmuth and early in like this.
  4. dustywilmuth

dustywilmuth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bad guys as soon as i shot my buck my taxedermist took it that was hunting with me and i flew out to OKC for work! Just got back yesterday morning and i will be scoring my deer this coming sunday! Hes not a huge buck but i couldnt pass him! Yesterday morning i saw 16 diffrent bucks(only 2 shooters) and 4 does. Eventually 2 bucks were fighting and they ran right under my tree. I guess i was confused by i shot the smaller one. Still happy with the buck just not very big! Will enter both at the same time on sunday!

5. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Nice man!! Congrats to both of you!

6. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a stud!

7. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody know why i cant upload any pictures of videos??

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The mature bucks in my area are NOT cooperating. I haven't seen a mature shooter in 50+ hours on stand in the last week! I know at least one is still around, I have pics that prove it. I'll continue to try though! :tu:

kb1785 and dustywilmuth like this.
  9. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal man youl get him! I had some 150+ bucks on camera but im not one to pass on smaller bucks just because i like the meat haha good luck man!

early in likes this.
  10. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    If you need me to upload some pics, DM me and I can give you my number. You can text the photos and info to me that I will need to upload to the contest thread. I don't have any problem doing that if you are still having problems uploading. Let me know!

tynimiller likes this.
  11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Huge congrats DUSTY!!

Small Update here....been trying to hammer a doe not just for freezer but for a 2nd buck tag on my reduction zone properties AND 50 points for us but just hasn't come together.

Last night hunted sub freezing temps and high winds and saw TONS of deer but nothing within 70 yards.

Will be on a property we lose for firearms season Friday hoping a doe walks by...we shall see.

early in likes this.
  12. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This Friday night I leave for Kansas for a week. I am chomping at the bit to go.

early in, kb1785 and Simplman like this.
  13. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What part of Kansas? I’m hunting NE Kansas, and the bucks are starting to get locked down. I watched a buck chase a doe through a harvested corn field today, dead sprint after her. Didn’t see much else today, although I only got to sit between 10 and 2 today.

Oldcarp likes this.
  14. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Just outside of Abilene. I know my timing is never the greatest

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas...not the best news. Those that follow Small Acre know last night I finally had a shot at a doe to earn that elusive second buck tag I've been pursuing...

Well right at the shot I knew I'd hit left of aiming point (she was over 90% broadside) and suspected I smacked the shoulder as she ran off arrow flopping. Waited over an hour to even check impact spot and we decided we would look only to wood edge she darted into 50 yards down from shot. At the edge we found the snapped off arrow and 10-12 inches with the broadhead was missing (assume in her).

That actually made me feel better assuming I got good penetration and the shoulder snapped the thing but was churning her apart. We backed all the way out and chose to wait 3 hours for minimum...the snow was melting (temp at 35) so the little bit of snow was more like slush and ground was soaked but we found some good blood and followed her steady for 60 yards or so, but that last 20 or so was brutal and then nothing. Circling started and 2.5 hours after last blood we called it to come back next day.

Today I skipped hunting opener of firearms to look for her. I put in over 4.5 hours and pops came after morning hunt and literally over grid searched my grid search of every single square yard of the property not an open field (scanned those as well).

Owner said pack it up we did all we could.

Serious gut punch moment and I literally vomited in disgust last night with myself. Utterly crushing moment in hunting is being felt. Despise this!

16. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey if you are hunting then who cares about timing!!!!

Oldcarp and early in like this.
  17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted from noon until dark on Sat. Saw 9 deer, which is really good for my woods! Problem was, only one was a buck, and it was a spike harassing a group of 4 doe. I can't seem to see a shooter buck!! :confused: I'll keep trying.

kb1785 likes this.
  18. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It does happen. I have felt the same way when it happened to me. Hate to wound anything and it really gets to me also.

early in likes this.
  19. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Got a doe this afternoon. Now for a buck. When I get back I will post pictures

kb1785, early in and tynimiller like this.
  20. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in guys... So far, it's been the toughest season of my life (especially weather wise). That said, I'm still having an absolute blast! I took a couple days break to come back into town and handle some business, and also recharge myself a little. I've passed on quite a few 2 year olds and a really nice up & coming 3 year old 8 point; good mass, excellent length, but his spread was super narrow, and the thought of what he might be next year was too compelling. Hopefully he survives the orange army next week! I've passed all does, preferring they stick around to bring in a shooter. As my vacation winds down this week, I'll definitely be looking to put some meat in the freezer. I'm back at it tomorrow.. Good luck to everyone still after it!

kb1785, early in, kjstaudt86 and 3 others like this.