***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2018***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is long winded but since you asked:

I use rubber boots exclusively for hunting anywhere from 25-65* temps. Down to 40 degrees I have a pair of Lacrosse Alphaburly Sports. Very lightweight and not clunky at all. In these, for warmer temps I wear Smartwool seamless ultrathin calf high socks; I can't remember the model and they are long discontinued. Which really sucks because this season was the last year for them- heels are finally threadbare after hard use since 2013. I got them from STP in 2013 and I've never found them again. Wish I had bought 20 pairs instead of 5, it is hard to find similar.

Between 50-40, I'll wear slightly thicker Smartwool socks in the Sports. If it gets down to the 40 range I use the BassPro all-purpose wool socks ($11.99/pr)

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-lifetime-guarantee-all-purpose-wool-socks-for-men

and my feet do not get cold. Also- they last a long time. The 2 pair I've had since at least 2015 and I hunt very hard. Still very fluffy, which is what traps air/heat. Not beaten down at all.

Colder than 40 and I got a pair of Cabela Zones 800gr rubber boots. Picked those up this year for $80 on sale (they run it periodically.) I used to have a pair of 1000gr Sportsman's Guide rubber boots that I really liked but the stress points gave out last year and started leaking- a big no-go for me since I sometimes hunt in swampy areas. I was going to buy the same brand/new model but the Cabela's have a better warranty and were only $10 more expensive after shipping than the SG brand. Anyway, on the warmer end I wear mid-weight Smartwool socks; on the lower end I wear the same BassPro wool sock referenced before. I was OK down to mid-low 20s. Cold toes but not frozen. I don't know the real difference between those socks I linked to prior and these; but I am also going to check these BassPro "extreme cold" wool socks out for late season
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-extreme-cold-wool-mid-calf-socks-for-men

Can't go wrong for $12.

Anyway, couple things with temps in the mid-low 20s...since my toes were a bit cold, the next day I went ahead and caved and put toe warmers in before I walked in to my stand- BIG MISTAKE. They made my feet sweat and then when they wore off my toes were actually colder in air temps that were warmer. I was very uncomfortable until I remembered this ProTip- if your feet get cold in a tree stand, hang your feet off the edge of the platform (no weight on them) and wiggle your toes. It will open a little more air pocket inside the boot toe area and allow heat to generate/trap. Once I remembered and did that I was able to push through it, and I was almost frozen to a point that I was about to give up and pack it in.

I also have a pair of 2400gr Sportsman's Guide rubber boots, but those are so heavy and clunky that I don't really use them. Too clunky to fit in climber stirrups for sure. They are warm AF though. Last I wore those was on a muzzleloader hunt a few seasons ago, slogging through a foot of snow in CRP I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

For temps sub-low 20s, I now wear a pair of Irish Setter 2000gr pac boots (not rubber- waterproof but not scent proof.) They are very warm and pretty light but also a bit too clunky for climber use without some tree stand modification.

USAF Bowhunter and foodplot19 like this.
  2. USAF Bowhunter

USAF Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang. You make me feel like a wimp. Lol I decided not to go today due to all the rain here in Arkansas. I hope you make a fool out of me and shoot a Monster! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

cantexian likes this.
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting downwind of a doe bedding area. Only about 15 feet up. Not very many good trees on this side.

IMG_5582.JPG

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This will probably be the closest I get to an all day sit this season. Had to take advantage of it. Screw the rain. Should be on stand until 2:30 or so. Hopefully, I kill long before then.

USAF Bowhunter and foodplot19 like this.
  5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    By the way guys, I brought my range finder in with this morning so I could range the distance on the buck I missed yesterday. I thought it was around 40yds. Turns out it was 55. Oops!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Huron county.

Just had a borderline shooter work around me. Could have drilled him at 20 yards. Nice 8 point.
    He found the does bedded to my NW and created a ruckus. Seen a few tearing out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone let one fly yet??

Adam
    Matthews Z7 Magnum 29/70
    Gold Tip Hunter XT
    100g Slick Trick Standard

8. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i'm checking every once an a while, lets spray blood on the forest floor today.

Good luck to every1 thats out

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

That looks Buck Nasty.

buc-nasty-player-hater-gif.gif

10. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not here

alenhard15 likes this.
  11. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing since the incident this morning. Surprised no youngsters wandering around?
    Wind is picking up, feels colder, and we’re supposed be get some rain or even snow.

[​IMG]

12. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Horrible morning. When I pull in I miss my parking spot by 10ft and drop the front end of my car down a 4 foot ditch lol went hunting anyway and had a buddy on standby for when I came out. No movement for me. He hasn’t touched the scrapes and I found a scent wick 40 yards from me In what I thought was my little hidden gem area. He’s either dead or gone most likely. Back to the drawing board for me.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

13. USAF Bowhunter

USAF Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dnoodles, you are the man! I really appreciate you taking all that time to respond to my question. Seriously, I know that took you some time and I thank you for that! I am going to look at buying those BassPro socks right now!

Also, thank you to everyone else who has chimed in on my question as well. It is a blessing to have a group of educated hunters available and willing to help out others! You all are the best. We all know it is not fun to hunt with frozen toes. Lol

Now let's get after those deer!!

14. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mother nature beat me today. I didn't layer properly and I'm at the house having coffee. Be back out soon tho. Had one lil guy cross behind me about 830 but that was it. No other tracks on my way out either. Hopefully after low movement this morning the mid day/afternoon will bust em out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

15. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well nothing first part of morning so readjusted and moved further back towards property line and old logging road they use to travel
    Good luck everyone

16. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, when it rains it pours!!

Kyle Rayburn likes this.
  17. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Time to eat a pb&j sandwich. I left my big ass Stanley thermos in the car because it weighed about 5 pounds. Kind of regretting that now. Hot coffee sounds amazing

18. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    I’m banking on that lol most likely my last bowhunt of the year... going back over my season in this tree... need a different game plan for next year

Adam
    Matthews Z7 Magnum 29/70
    Gold Tip Hunter XT

19. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finally able to get a picture to upload. This was my view earlier and I figured out what was wrong with this picture....no damn deer in it! 20181112_084427.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

20. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Not to rub it in but yes... hot coffee is amazing lol

Adam
    Matthews Z7 Magnum 29/70
    Gold Tip Hunter XT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.