Brand new hunter & archer

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by ONTPaoloD, Nov 2, 2018.

1. ONTPaoloD

ONTPaoloD Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys and gals, I am planning on joining the ranks of full outdoorsmen from my current love of fishing to adding hunting and bushcraft. I'm looking to gather some knowledge as I'm currently still in the planning stages and prepping stages to begin hunting in 2019. I am from Ontario Canada and have a few questions below and would love some feedback from the forum.

1. Best traditional bow selection for hunting smaller game and turkey. I would like to start honing my hunting skills on smaller animals first as I haven't eaten much deer and don't want to hunt for something I don't intend to eat and use fully. So prey animals like rabbit, turkey and other bird species ( duck/water fowl and grouse) are my first bow hunting goals. (Should I be using a short bow, long bow, recurve, takedown)

2. What are your thoughts on raised blinds for Turkey? I have often seen guys posted in the middle of farm land in there blind on the ground, but can you effective use a raised blind like on a hill looking over a valley or a mid height tree stand or turret to successfully hunt Turkeys? Just wondering as my beginner mind seems to thinking having the higher ground gives me the archer an advantage.

3.What items do you feel are essential for hunting alone?

Thanks in advance to those that answer !

Sent from my LM-G710 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like a take-down bow.
    They are much easier to transport.

For turkey and waterfowl, you'll want a good broadhead.
    Not sure what head you need for grouse.

Rabbit and squirrel, a judo point or blunt tip should work.
    For squirrels in trees, I would suggest a FluFlu arrow with a blunt tip. If you miss, it won't stick in the tree, and it might be easier to find your arrow (if you miss both squirrel and tree) since it won't be in the next county.

ONTPaoloD likes this.
  3. ONTPaoloD

ONTPaoloD Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, thank you for your reply

I like the idea of takedown for that very reason as well and it's easily convertible for different shooting needs by swapping the arms out but I heard they can be quiet loud when drawing and releasing , could spook a skittish rabbit or turkey ETC. Do you find that to be true?

For me I wouldn't want to use Broadheads for anything but bigger game animals too much risk of damaging the meat I intend to eat (in case of a not so great shot since I'm new)what are your thoughts on the fixed blade or decapitation arrowheads I was thinking of using those for Turkey and other birds along with blunts for rabbits maybe even crescent arrowheads.

I also intend on using Flu Flu arrows as well great point , and reminder.

What other bows have you shot? What are your thoughts on long bows?

4. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The take-down recurve I ordered, a Southwestern Archery "Spider", should arrive in a couple weeks.
    It's taking a little longer to get here because I had to order it with the 60 pound draw limbs. With my short draw length, (23 inches) I should have an effective hunting legal 45 pound draw.

The recurve I shot recently (45 lb Spider) was not loud, and it had no string silencers on it. (Yet. Chances are who ever buys it will put them on.)
    Then again, any bow can be loud when shot. A take-down bow is not any louder than a one piece bow.

Until the Spider comes in, my main bow is a Diamond Razor Edge compound bow, set at my 23 inch draw, and 57.7 pounds draw.
    I'll probably be able to up the draw to the 60 pound maximum before January One.

With the compound, I'm shooting 24.5 inch arrows at 420 grains, and 25.5 inch arrows at 480 grains. (both with 125 grain heads. I had them use 100 grain inserts on the 25.5 inch arrows.)
    I have not decided on what arrow length I'll use with the recurve. Probably no longer than 26 or 27 inches.

As for broadheads, I won't be shooting anything but a fixed blade at anything larger than a turkey.

Decapitation blades? I'm not sure what those are.
    I'd just use the same 2 or 3 blade broadhead I would for deer, and put the arrow into the vitals. The neck is a mighty small target. I doubt in a hunting situation I would be able to hit the neck and at the required angle to sever the spine consistently.
    If you can, great!

5. ONTPaoloD

ONTPaoloD Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be trying to get down to local bow shop soon to do some testing but I'm leaning towards a one piece, either long bow or recurve.

I'm more of a traditionalist and probably wouldnt be interested in a compound atleast not at my age of 28.

The Broadheads I'm talking about are like these

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/arrowdynamic-solutions-guillotine-fixed-blade-turkey-broadheads

And provide results like these

I like them because none of the edible turkey meat is affected during the killing process..and heads already removed lol

6. CrispySmurf

CrispySmurf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    THAT. WAS. AWESOME!

ONTPaoloD likes this.
  7. Jerry Casperson

Jerry Casperson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love recurves. I have a take down as well. Both are awesome. The Flu Flu arrows and the small game points is what you will need. 3 rivers archery is where i get most of my traditional stuff. If you have face book or instagram follow Beka Garris she is a traditional bow hunter and is always posting about stuff she uses for everything. And how to make it your self if she makes it her self. Turkeys i prefer from teh ground. Not a fan or from an elevated stand. dont really have a reason why. just prefer the ground.

ONTPaoloD likes this.
  8. ONTPaoloD

ONTPaoloD Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, thanks for the feedback sounds great I'll check her out when I get a chance.Ive seen 3 rivers mentioned on here a few times in other threads I guess they must be delivering some good products.

Do you find your takedown bow to be louder then your recurve or no? I'm wondering if that's a Myth or truth that they spook more animals then a recurve or longbow. Takedowns tend to be cheaper and could be a good entry point for me to get started but I don't want to be a disadvantage right off the bat

Thanks again

9. Jerry Casperson

Jerry Casperson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have not noticed it to be louder, but i haven't really payed attention