Turnips???

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Justin21, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have put in about 4 1-2 acre plots with turnips and winter Australian peas but the deer don’t seam to be eating them much at all. All 4 of my plots are about 100 yards from a 45 acre winter wheat field. All of my turnips are about 4-6” tall. (The green leafs)

I am in central Oklahoma so we haven’t had much of a winter yet. Just wondering when they usually start hitting turnips?

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They usually like them the most after it gets cold. After the first frost.

Okiebob and copperhead like this.
  3. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cold weather and the right ph soil. Plots like you have would have benefited with a lite overseed of wheat or rye grain. This would give them something to eat before the cold weather.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Okiebob and copperhead like this.
  4. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I mixed some wheat in all of it and they hit it some but not much in the turnip greens.

We are supposed to get a good freeze within this next week so maybe that will help.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin I curved back on turnips and radishes in NC. They are great for winter reserves and provide a food source when other stuff gets scare. They will eat them but until it get cold and the sugars are triggered they are not really at the top of the preferred source.

I usually mix with winter peas, oats/rye and/or winter wheat for attraction. They should be hammering the winter pea though. Mine rarely make it long before they get mowed because its a 1/4 acre plot

6. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup wait til the cold temperatures of late season hits and those plots will be on fire. I also planted a small turnip plot this year just for that reason. Good luck man.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in central Oklahoma and they are beating my turnips up. I spent a lot of time working on my soil ph over the last year, it's at 6.2 currently. However, after this blast of cold air and a 25° morning Saturday they will be all over your turnips before long. I will say, I planted turnips for three years straight, mostly for organic matter to till back into the soil, and this is the first year they have been all over them. Same with my neighbor to the south.

*Edit. I am in a agricultural void, not a wheat field for miles. So this may have something to do with it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You would be surprised how much the ph is helping you out. Ph is more important than fertilizer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tynimiller and Okiebob like this.
  9. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses hope it pays off late season, good luck this November.