NAP spitfire double cross

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Slugger, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well was able to harvest 4 deer with these broadheads. 4 deer and 4 heads. Not inpressed by any means. 2 of the heads had blades snap and were no longer usable. The doe from tonight had a clean pass through double lung and holes were in between both sides of the rib bones and it was busted. Only one doe had a decent size hole the others were all as if I were still shooting my NAP hellrazors. Not worth the buy IMO if you are in the market for new broadheads. I should have stuck with my NAP hellrazors or going back to Rage.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did a write up and have commented several times here on just this subject. They are a $h1t design. Look at them from an engineering perspective and you wonder how they ever made it to market. There is no way they passed any sort of real testing phase. On any sort of an angled entry the reverse opening blades very easily jam shut and either snap or act like a judo point = little/no penetration.

I bought 2 packs and the tolerances were so bad I called to complain and they sent me 2 new packs acknowledging issues with early batches. They also told me of a "fix" for the originals. I did that and then lost a buck on a shot where the blades jammed shut and snapped, less than an inch of penetration. Needless to say I still have both those free packs unopened, 3 years later. Waiting to use them on turkeys once I use up the already opened ones on turkeys. Won't use them on anything tougher- not humane.

Slugger likes this.
  3. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. I’ve only shot one deer with this broad head and thought it did ok. The deer was quartering towards me, hit the near side lung and almost got a pass through. Deer ran 30 yards with the arrow hanging out before it fell out. Blood was spraying onto the standing corn the whole time. Found it dead after running 50 yards. The broad head had been beat up until it fell out, but the blades were in good shape and I could probably use them again.
    Not sure if I’ll buy another pack of these or switch up.

Slugger likes this.
  4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I waited till I used 4 before throwing in the towel. If any of you guys use them I would rec not anymore. Wouldn't want this broadhead to be the reason you lose a big buck or even a doe for that matter. I don't come across to many bad products I will speak of but this one was enough to let you guys know. Just use another broadhead. I'm back to my old stock of hellrazors and some hypodermics

5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I've had issues with hypodermics, too. Blades tend to snap at the collar notch - it's too deep into the back of the blade. Had 2 snap there without hitting bone. Killed both deer deader than hell though. Haven't used them yet but the new Trypans appear more stout in that section. Then the last arrow I sent into my buck this year was tipped with an old Hypodermic. Hit the shoulder and didn't break but did twist the heck out of the blade.

My dream mech broadhead is the Muzzy HB blade configuration mated to the Hypodermic tip. C'mon, Feradyne- you own both companies, make it happen!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    alenhard15, Slugger and Longdraw like this.
  6. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That Muzzy Trocar HB is a nice combo of fixed and mechanical. I might give those a try.

Slugger likes this.
  7. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I have made some huge holes in deer with rage. Haven't had any break though although I can't say I had shot one twice into a deer.

Longdraw likes this.
  8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    killed 2 and lost one with the Muzzy HBs. Penetration/devastation was amazing on the first at long range- broke both upper legbones in and out. The second hit shoulder at less than 15 on a smaller deer and stopped immediately with little penetration. #3 was the buck I spined this year which was a pass through, follow up was almost a full pass through. I really like them but if they had the Hypodermic tip (smaller and sharper) I would really love them.

Longdraw likes this.
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Our team used Doublecross broadheads almost exclusively for an entire season. We killed probably 20+ deer with them and never had any of the issues you described. I personally killed two and was on hand for recovery of 3 others all shot with that head. No broken blades, no failures to open. One of the does I shot was a bit low and back and I was able to follow blood for almost 500 yards on the recovery.

Just my personal experiences with them.

Longdraw likes this.
  10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I said shoulder but meant upper leg bone

11. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They gave you guys the good batch of em. Who knows but my experience on 4 myself has me changing to find something better.

12. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is too bad to hear your experience.

I have been shooting the Killzone now for 5 years, and could not imagine switching to anything else. The penetration, devastation and huge entry/exit holes are so impressive. I do change the bolt in the center after each deer and re-sharpen the blades, but my original 3 pack has taken 11 deer now!

13. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have also had good experiences with the killzones. Not talking about those though.

14. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good. I understand which broadhead you were talking about and appreciate your honest feedback. I was just providing some insight that the brand is certainly not all bad. I have called NAP on two occasions and have been very happy at their knowledge of products, honesty and help standing behind their products.

15. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got it. Was just specifically talking about that broadhead. both the kill zone and hellrazors have done well for me. Thinking of trying out the thunderheads i believe they are called next year

Sent from my SM-G920P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

16. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have only shot one deer with them and they performed as advertised. I find them to be very accurate and shoot with field points. I have them in the quiver this year, but the jury is still out if I like these better than the regular spitfire.