Bowsite Idea

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowjunky39$, Nov 3, 2018.

1. bowjunky39$

bowjunky39$ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I ran across this article and it made a lot of sense. Take a minute and read and let me know your thoughts. Bill Winke hit the nail on the head in my opinion.
    http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/setting-up-a-single-pin-sight/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnoodles likes this.
  2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think he is 100% correct for the average whitetail hunter. It's exactly why I went to the Fast Eddie XL double. 1 pin, 2 dots.
    I am somewhere at 280fps with my set up. When the top dot is set at 25, the bottom dot is 38. I put the top dot at the middle lung line of any deer, any shot at yardages between 20-35 yards the arrow will hit vital zone (assuming deer does not drop.) If I think a deer is at anything more than 25 but likely less than 40, if I put the top dot at the top lung line, the bottom 38 yard set dot is at the heart. At any range between there is a dead deer. Easiest "gap" shooting set up I've ever had. The only time you can get into trouble is guessing whether or not a deer is going to jump the string and that risk is the same with any other sight.

Other than the guess work in regards to string jump, it takes -almost- all the yardage guess work out of any shot under 40 yards. I do not have to move the dial at all. All you really need to know is either 0-25 or 25-40.

3. bowjunky39$

bowjunky39$ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Explain how the two sites one pin works have not tinkered with that much. I am currently using just a trophy ridge with just two pins.

4. bowjunky39$

bowjunky39$ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I should take my bottom pin and move it to 38 instead of 40?

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree I have a one pin slider that I set at 25 yards and never move it. I am comfortable out to 45 yards but I will never have a shot that far.

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea of a two pin sight for whitetails but I don’t want to change my 5 pin setup. I hunt out west and while that would work most of the time, there are plenty of times it wouldn’t. If I miss an animal because I got confused as to which pin to use I’ll definitely consider it. I just hope that’s a long way down the road. :)

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

no. It completely depends on your set up. This is going to sound WAY more complicated than it actually is- read this and then watch how to on YouTube you will understand:

When you sight in a fast eddie 2-dot, there are 2 axis points on the dial. You set the top dot at 20. mark where that is on the top axis wheel with a marker. Then you slowly walk back, taking shots every 10 yards, moving the wheel until the top dot is set at 60. Mark the wheel again. Then find the tape where 20 and 60 yards corresponds to the 2 marks you made on the wheel. For me that was #19 tape. Stick the tape on to those marks. Now when you move the dial, the top axis points to one yardage range which corresponds to the top dot, the second (lower) axis corresponds to the lower dot (farther range.)

So when I set the top dial axis pointer and dot at 25, the bottom dot is automatically at 38. But that is specific to my entire bow set up. Yours will likely be slightly different but conceptually the same. Maybe when your top dot is 25 your bottom is exactly 35. Maybe 45. Depends on your bow, arrow weight, etc. But it illustrates what Winke was saying- when you have a bow and arrow set up shooting around 280fps there is really no need to have more than 2 pins for normal whitetail conditions shooting 40 yards and under.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  8. iBowhunt

iBowhunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went from a 3 fixed pin site to a 5 pin Trophy Ridge React H5, and hate it. The pins are way too close together on the Mathews Triax, and just makes a big blur in the sight housing. I just received a an HHA Tetra single pin adjustable in the mail and can't wait to get it on the bow. After using fixed and sliding pin sights, then shooting a couple single pins at the archery shop I'll likely never use anything else again.