***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2018***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As usual, no deer where I sat and dad said nice buck with a doe in my food plot... lol

2. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up seeing 4 the whole day..... it was very slow after 10:00 to dark.....

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tagged out in Indiana for th e year, boy it's been a long time since I said that. Anyway, packing it up and heading for Ohio on Sunday. Gonna pack it up and be ready to hunt Sunday afternoon, maybe. The cameras over there have sent me some real slammers, so maybe I'll get to meet one of them in person. Here's a partial list in pics of the potential candidates for a free ride back to Indiana. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I left about 1/2 hour before sunset, cut fields were full. Mostly groups does but a few lone bucks walking towards them. Couldn't see the headgear

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like 1st and second are same buck? Both have that little kicker coming off the G2

6. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One doe this evening hopefully tomorrow morning will be better.

7. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here! 1 doe at about 4:15! Saw close to 20 in 3 different fields on drive this morning??

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Westfinger likes this.
  8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some amazing bucks Jim! Hope you get a shot my friend!

pastorjim08 likes this.
  9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got off work and went to get few more pieces of gear for colder weather, threw it in wash and got everything gathered up. Tomorrow will be the start of 9 days of hunting. Hoping to head out in morning and may try my ladder stand for a sit. It over looks a corn field with turnips plated in end rows but there's about 25 head of feeder calves in there too. So if can sneak in without them following me will be first sit there this fall. And actually first morning sit.

Congratulations dnoodle and airenlow. See you guys in the am.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You hunting your usual property? Sounds like you’re getting hammered with pressure?

cls74 likes this.
  11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, same place.

I don't know how much it has been hunted in Oct.

Since my uncle passed in June this is the first year without him. I knew things were going to change, just wasn't sure how. It's going to move the deer around a bit, rerouting and such. I'll just have to adapt and overcome.

I am seriously thinking about not going back out until Wed.

High pressure moves back in Wed/Thurs/Fri(7th/8th/9th) and each day progressively getting colder, not getting out of the 30's Friday. I will almost certainly be solo in the woods and mature bucks should be cruising.

I was looking back on previous years to see when I killed bucks, in it I seen a lot of my posts in the first 3 or 4 days of Nov. as not seeing much movement. Probably why I am a whiner :lol: , and then around or after the 7th I kill.

Maybe I should just sit out the normally discouraging days.

I think eventually it will probably end up with me learning how to properly hunt public land and move there permanently. My uncle did it right for 35+ years, it just won't be the same anymore.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  12. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, I hadn't seen that the forecast has changed. Much colder than I thought for the next couple weeks. You should be in business!
    Sorry to hear about your uncle, I wasn't aware.
    My little honey hole down south will be trashed in the next year or two when the owner finally moves there. He's kind of a tool and is clueless when it comes to the world of whitetails. Seems to be inevitable with this hobby of ours.

cls74 likes this.
  13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So who will be the first one to drop a monster tomorrow?

Holt likes this.
  14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

how my buck felt this morning...

300.gif

15. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We got pics taken, called in reinforcements to help drag him out, and now he's on ice in the garage because my processor apparently doesn't have a 24 hour drop anymore.
    received_950742211788313.jpeg

Bullridnfool, JeffC, Junior and 27 others like this.
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    so story time.
    I had a double-bearded tom begging me to kill him about 0830. I passed altho when I went to take a pic of him he instantly pegged me so I doubt I would've been able to shoot him anyway even though he was maybe 15 yrds away. I texted my wife (probably posted something on here too? can't remember and too lazy to go back and look) and then all of a sudden I heard rustling over my left shoulder. I crank my head over and see a big deer's hindquarters and neck, the shoulders and head were initially covered by trees. He takes a step forward and I can see his front two tines on my near side- we pulled pics last night and there were a ton of one big 2.5 yo forkhorn, and at first I think this is him and start to relax- that one would get a pass. He takes another step forward and soon as I saw the rest of his headgear I knew this was not that one and this one had to die.

I hook on, and have to turn my body around so my elbow clears the tree behind me as I shoot lefty and he's on that side, but this is an older ladder and creaks a lot so I have to do it very carefully. By the time I do he's already pretty much in front of me and as I come to full draw and settle the pin and release; his path makes him drop a little and while he was right at 20 yards I ended up spining him about 4" behind the line of the shoulder....would've been a double back of the lung had it not been high.

He drops in his tracks, and I sit there for a moment and then reach over to grab another arrow knowing he A) deserves a quicker death than a spine and B) might be only stunned and able to recover and run away. While I'm getting it nocked, he starts thrashing around all over the place. Clearly only his back legs are impaired. So I get flustered and let it fly too quick, right under his chest. Nock another one, and let fly again. This one actually was a perfect double lung near pass through; but he flipped over and was then not at an angle where I could see the new entry/exit. I nock another, thinking I missed again, and hold on him and let it go, only to have his front legs slip and he dropped right under it. Now I am down to my last arrow, thinking I have missed every other shot other than the first. At this point I am embarrassed at myself. I take the last arrow, nock it, hold right behind the shoulder, take a few breaths, and let it go. It smacks right where I am aiming and I can tell by lack of penetration stopped at the offside shoulder.

He expired less than 3 minutes later. I know because I was recording it. But he kept staring at me for a minute, and that was kind of haunting. He slowly rolled over and that was that. Maybe the 3rd-4th time I've watched a deer linger for a few minutes then die in front of me; never gets easier.

I sat there for a couple minutes and took it all in, then you know the rest for the most part. I got down, walked over to take in the carnage, and said a couple words of thanks and also apologized for the spine. As you can see the other 2 arrows in him both would have dispatched him quick. The 2 airballs were due to him thrashing around.

It was hard to watch but in the end he expired maybe 5 minutes after I first shot him- much quicker than a lot of kills, even some I've had with a gun.

Not the nicest read I imagine either. Sorry about that. But hunting isn't always pretty.

Texted my wife and then my hunting buddy. Waited for him to come over and take some pics (that was the long wait for you guys.) Sent a pic to my old man- it's his birthday- and he called. I told him thanks for taking me hunting because without that I would have never felt the way that I felt at that moment. He got pretty choked up about it.

All in all a helluva day. Goodnight and good luck manana. I still have a doe tag but I don't think I have any usable broadheads (who would've thought 5 wasn't enough???) so I'll probably just be sitting around watching the bodies pile up on this thread.

17. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sentence right there says it all! Congrats again!

Blessings.........Pastorjim

MIHOYT89, dnoodles, Kfili and 4 others like this.
  18. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alright let’s do some killing today!!! Currently right around 50 degrees which is a lot warmer than I would like but yesterday at this time it was 70, wind is in the teens but blowing the right direction! Chance of showers here this morning then going to be windy all day 20-30mph with higher gusts. Got my portable charger and a lunch packed so I am ready for an all day hunt! This will probably be my second to last hunt in PA this year.... man the season goes fast. Good luck everyone let’s put some bucks down!

Adam
    Matthews Z7 Magnum 29/70
    Gold Tip Hunter XT
    100g Slick Trick Standard

19. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  20. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You dawg! Lol if I only had a Star bucks close to swing by on my way..

dnoodles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.