Team 11 Elevated Affair

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by AaronB, Aug 13, 2018.

1. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like Pastor Jim scored for Team 11 as well! Congrats! Let me know if you need help scoring it. Saw you were having trouble on the scorecard. Here’s the measurements you need: Right side: Beam length+G1 (brows)+G2+G3 plus H1 (base mass circumference) + H2 (mass between G1&G2)+H3 (mass between G2 and G3)+ H4 (mass on the other side of G3). Repeat on left side and add the spread.

Awesome job!

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  2. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted hard this extended weekend myself. Had 2 good encounters with what I would call “shooters” for myself and passed on a nice up and coming 9 pt at 10 yards this morning. Had a couple opportunities at doe as well, but just wasn’t going to shoot a doe in the circumstances they offered shots in. Nice job team! I’ll be limited during the week this week, but plan on hitting it hard again next weekend. Might be able to sneak out Tuesday and Friday if I get out of work on time.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  3. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jim and I are all tagged out for the team but I know for myself I will try to stay as active as possible as I still have some very nice deer to hunt at home and I want to see all of you succeed! Things are really beginning to get good across the Midwest, every keep your hopes up and remember to aim small miss small! Good luck everyone, I hope to be back in the stand by at least Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

AaronB and pastorjim08 like this.
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    H4 on an antler that does not have a G4 would be taken halfway between the last tine and the tip of main beam. Just clarifying as it looked to say next to the G3 in your instructions

5. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the clarification cls74. That is what I meant but without a picture to clarify where to take the measurement, my wording is confusing.

cls74 likes this.
  6. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    3C28A73C-4CBD-4E54-998F-59568F05DCD4.jpeg Made it out and didn’t spook anything on the way in. Hunting a little funnel the deer have been passing through to go through the marsh. 4 heavily used trails exit woods within 40 yards of this stand. Here’s to hoping!

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck teammate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

8. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 bucks, one possible shooter. Was 125 yards away so didn’t get a great look at him but he was outside the ears. Passed on 3 doe and then they got downwind of me unfortunately and trotted off. Should’ve maybe taken one of them, but thought more buck activity would follow possibly. Saturday will be next time I’m out unless I can sneak out Friday.

9. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I'm off to Ohio in a few days so wish me luck. Oh by the way, I just got this guy on my camera from over there a few days ago.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

AaronB and MIHOYT89 like this.
  10. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That deer is a horse. Seriously has to be pushing 275-300 lbs live weight.

11. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys I hope I don’t speak too soon as there’s a lot of season left but we are looking pretty dang good in the points standings as of right now! Lots of season left. Good luck to all! I’ll be back out tomorrow night and most of next week morning and evening, get out there and shoot them all!

AaronB likes this.
  12. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Indeed! I’m going to have to think about the next 115”-120” I pass! :) Or at least take a doe if the right opportunity presents itself. Keep it rolling boys!

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  13. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put a nice Michigan buck on the ground this morning! Image1541359955.011652.jpg Image1541359987.878032.jpg Image1541360009.499317.jpg

IH122, pastorjim08 and AaronB like this.
  14. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
  16. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a lot guys! I definitely have nothing to complain about this season, it has treated my very very well! I have Wednesday-Sunday to hunt and plan on putting a lot of time into 2 specific deer and maybe even hunt a property that I haven’t even stepped foot on this year. I usually hunt it only 2-3 times a year when the time is absolutely perfect so it could end up being an even better season then it already has been. I’ve got my fingers crossed

18. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    C3C626C1-EF8D-4FFC-A760-A2422488CB9B.png Kind of an eventful end of the week/weekend for me. Got a text from my brother on Thursday night that he hit a decent buck, but knew he made a marginal shot higher and back a little further and knew a good portion of the arrow was sticking out. He backed out and we took up the track around noon the next day. Couldn’t find anything for blood for an hour and a half. Checked the area he ran into, the food plot where he was shot, the brush following to where he entered the thick thornapple. Nothing. Did a body search along river and in some thick stuff. Nothing. About to give up when I checked one more trail entering the thornapple and found the tiniest specks of blood on a small branch. Now that we had the trail where he entered the thick stuff, we found some more blood and his arrow not too far in. He got about 12-14” of penetration. We backed out immediately and called in a tracking dog before we walked all over the blood trail. Started tracking around 7:00 PM. Had some spots of decent blood but not a lot. The dog was able to follow the track from the food plot and find where he entered. We were able to track the buck for about 200 yards, but lost blood. The dog followed a number of “hot” trails where other deer had come through, but with no blood, it was impossible to know if she was on the right track.

After searching through much of the night, we called it. Very disappointed.

Went out the next morning and had a good sit. Saw 18 doe/fawn and a small buck and a shooter 10 point got to within 60 yards, but ultimately decided to head back into the woods after scanning the plot.

I got rained out Sunday as it was just plain nasty and windy.

Hope to hunt when I can and get after it for the next two weeks before gun deer season in WI kicks off. Getting down to crunch time. Hoping to come through for the team, but still sticking to my guns on the quality of buck I want to shoot. Otherwise, late season may offer some opportunity as well.

Good luck all! Attached is a zoomed in trail cam pic about a minute before my brother shot.

19. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys I don’t even know what to say, I’ve been absolutely blessed year! I put down my second Michigan buck this morning and I am tagged out for the year. Image1541690508.349219.jpg Image1541690526.680643.jpg Image1541690575.204796.jpg

AaronB and pastorjim08 like this.
  20. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received: