Team 16 - The Xtreme Dirt Nap Boyz

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Bronson, Aug 13, 2018.

1. HuntinKB51

HuntinKB51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just sent Logan the ones from where I was sitting yesterday. A BIG ten in daylight! Plus a couple other shooters! Opposite end of property from where he pulled cards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Need to ditch him and spend a few days out there :)
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. HuntinKB51

Dislikes Received:
    On the schedule!!

4. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch! lol

5. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, hey Logman how's it going...lol

6. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I didn't make it out last Friday. I have been on midnights for 3 months so I can have the time to coach two of my sons in soccer....so when I got home Friday morning I asked my 5 year old if he still wanted to go hunting that evening. He told me that he did. When I woke up early Friday after noon he had changed his mind because my dad had bought some ponies and he said he would rather see them. We headed up to the barn which is the same farm that I hunt, and see the ponies for a bit. I decided to see if I could see anything in the food plot from the barn. Sure enough there was a deer right under my stand. Fast forward to Monday, I took my son to check the cameras and not only was there a deer on camera at 530 that evening but it was the chocolate rack 8. Lol.

On the brighter side. I did get 2 new bucks and both of them would score more than the 8.

HuntinKB51 and Blarney22 like this.
  7. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Get after them bry2211

bry2211 likes this.
  8. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got home from work yesterday morning and saw the chocolate 8 chasing a doe. She didn't look very receptive but it looks like its about to get wild! Saw a small buck chasing on the way to work yesterday evening.

Well I was on the way to work. Not really sure where the buck was going.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Been pretty uneventful for me lately. Sunday night I hung a new stand and caught a glimpse of a 2 year old about and hour before dark. Weds evening I sat in a little funnel that connects two wood lots and had a 1 year old sneak behind me in the cut beans. He got down wind and stopped but never could figure out what I was. Eventually he moved on his way to go find some trouble. And that's been it - 2 deer in my last 2 sits.

Going to head out tonight to the stand I hung on Sunday. There's a ton of sign in the area and my cell camera tells me we have daylight buck activity I'm just not there when it's happening. Maybe tonight will be the night.

Blarney22 likes this.
  10. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    I sat last night and saw a lone doel right at dark. Sat this morning and had a doe with two fawns come through. Thought there might be a buck following because they kept looking back but nothing ever came through.

I have an East wind today which does not work well for my stands. Watching Justin hunt public this year has me thinking about hitting some public tonight. I have a lone wolf set up I've never used before. Tonight might be the night.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Just don't be like me and walk around for 3 hours, not be happy with anything, and go home without hunting. :lol:

12. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    That is exactly afraid I'll end up doing. 1300 acres to choose from

13. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Really slow weekend for me.

Thursday: Saw a lone Doe 10 mins after dark about 100yrds away

Friday AM: Slept in
    Friday PM: Saw Zero

Saturday AM: Had a doe and two fawns come through. They were in a hurry so I was hopping they were being chased by a buck but no luck.
    Saturday PM: Best sit of the weekend. First had a nub and a doe fawn come in. Next had a doe and two fawns make their way over, the wind was so light it was changing directions on me and the doe caught my wind and did the dreaded blow but they stuck around and continued to feed and slowly worked their way off. Thought my night was over after the blow out by the doe but then I heard some grunting and a little 3 pointer (spike one side/fork on the other) came running in and didn't know what to do with himself. After he cleared out another doe and fawn came in.

Sunday AM: Woke up to rain on and off. Sat in a ground blind to stay dry, saw a doe and a fawn. Also had two turkeys greet me as I stepped out of the ground blind...busted
    Sunday PM: Headed home to trick or treat with the kids

No really exciting weather changes in the next week, I am hoping the deer activity will pick up here by next weekend.

Hope you guys had better luck than I did.

HuntinKB51 likes this.
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas - we're on the board with some antlers. Got out last night for my only sit of the weekend and made it count. Had this buck cruise by me about 30 minutes before dark but was moving quick in the brush to my North and I didn't get a great look at him. I knew he was big enough for me to shoot at least.

Right as I start to pack up my camera gear at last light he pops out on the trail of a doe I saw earlier in the night. He stops at about 22 yards and I let him have it. Shot looked perfect - he mule kicked and tore off to my East. I thought for sure it was lights out within 100 yards. I waited for full on dark then got down and left to help Tommy recover his deer.

3 hours later we come back, find the arrow which looks great and take up the track. There is zero blood - I mean hands and knees tracking for an hour to go maybe 100 yards. At about 11 pm we call it a night and head home. I could not for the life of me figure out what happened.

This morning I dropped my son off at the bus stop then headed back to look for him. About 2 hours in I find him maybe 50 yards from where we had last blood. Turns out he was ever so slightly quartered into me and I got 1 lung, liver, guts. The exit hole must've been clogged w/fat and stomach matter. In total he went about 160 yards and was surely expired last night.

Rough scored him at 135 and change. I'll get him posted up in the contest later. Got some work to do now!

[​IMG]

15. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations Justin, that entry hole looked spot on. Glad you were able to find him the next day.

16. HuntinKB51

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Justin!! Nice buck! Glad you were able to recover him, makes for a long night tho!! Probably can't count the number of times you pictured the shot in your mind overnite. Great job! Hope to join you on the scorecard again soon, hitting our Wisconsin property hard starting tomorrow! Weather doesn't look great for movement, but ya can't kill'em if your not huntin!

Blarney22 likes this.
  17. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Outstanding, great job and great shot

18. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Bruce

HuntinKB51 likes this.
  19. HuntinKB51

Dislikes Received:
    Headed up to Wisconsin this morning. First morning sit of the year. WOW what a dead day, nothing moving, never say a deer! Squirrels weren't even moving, saw 1, usually bothering me all the time! Talked to a couple other hunters on the way home, said the same thing! Weren't even any birds moving. Oh well! I know there are days like that. Can't get discouraged, just keep at it! Good luck everybody!

Logman likes this.
  20. R22

R22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Update: Finally got done harvesting soybeans and caught up on shop work and family time.

Went out this morning to a fence line that had some brush to hide in. It was a possibility of being good, but not so much. Saw 1 doe @ 300 yards. Went to work.

Went back to my 1/2 mile long tree belt that also has my small food plot in the early afternoon. I walked it from the road to the south (where my plot is), it's pretty my a massive scrape line all the way through. Switched out memory cards and took 1 of my 2 cameras down to put on a scrape that is closer to the north end of the belt. I thought about staying in my ladder stand, but 1...didn't have my hss on since I didn't have it at work with me, and 2...I just wanted to do something else for a change. So I walked the belt back to the north and found a nice little spot to hunker down in. Then my wife said that our boys were needing their daddy, so I packed up around 5 and went home. Didn't see any deer, but I snuck up on a pretty sweet owl and got a pic using my binoculars and phone.

I looked through the memory cards and have more buck activity, still mostly at night and nothing huge, but some that I would still throw an arrow at. I had a pic of a decent buck that rolled through the plot at 7 PM on Sunday evening (a day I almost never hunt...of course). Oh well..maybe next time. Oh and the plot is getting hammered by a lot of doe in the daytime. Hopefully I can catch a buck following one through.

Keep up the good work fellas! Congrats and continued luck!

Rylan[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk