40yd shots. Research on deer ducking the shot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JasonOhio2018, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This^^ with an android phone. Once I played it back, you could hear n somewhat could see the arrow. Depending on angle, elevation, n lighting conditions. Umm, you'd be surprised!

Sent from my VS987 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Napper

Napper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome video and followed responses. I’ve been pissed since I missed my biggest buck to date last Wednesday. For whatever reason on the shot he jumped straight up and the arrow went under. It was a windy day and when he came in he was alert not sure if that was the reason for his s always a learning experience.

3. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read an article years ago about the biology of deer and how their muscles are always tense, by design. While they may look relaxed, they're muscles, by natures design, are tensed and ready at a moments notice. I always figured that deer at 30 yards and beyond are going to drop at the shot. For those shots, I've always tended to aim low lung area. I figured if they drop its still good, or if I misjudged distance, I'm shooting under them and missing cleanly.

I think its a total crap shoot what deer will do. I've killed deer at 30-40 yards that were feeding and never moved until the arrow was on the other side of them in the ground. I also missed a 20 yard chip shot when the deer damn near did a belly flop, shaving hair off its back. I think most of us will mouth grunt or bleat to stop a deer for a shot. Well, you're already putting the deer on alert and most likely causing them to look up at you when you shoot. Then they hear the bow, then a whistle at the same time. I think all three factors combined easily make the deer jump.

dnoodles, w33kender and JGD like this.
  5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting they said their research showed deer reacting to the sound of the bow without lighted knocks so in their mind knocks don't matter. Also interesting that deer with their head down reacted quicker than deer with their head up (at attention). Pretty interesting information.

6. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mic Drop....

7. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I'd like to see a study on deer shot after being grunted at and a being shot thats just standing there and didn't have to be stopped.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure it would really matter to be honest. It's a crap shoot either way. Even if the study said 50% of the time they drop when on alert and 33% of the time they drop when not alert that doesn't change the unpredictability of the animal's reaction. Would anyone be happy missing the mark 1/3 of the time instead of 1/2 of the time? I know I wouldn't.

Why people keep advocating for these super far shots at whitetails with archery equipment is beyond me. We've all lost our damn minds. I saw some yahoo on FB bragging about a 97 yard shot the other night. I'm not sure if I wanted to punch him or punch myself after reading all of the comments. Or maybe both.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    never seen that before! Crazy.
    what part of MI? I hunt Edmore/Vestaburg area.

JasonOhio2018 likes this.
  10. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah these are the same guys that end up hitting the deer only for it to run off and live with an arrow sticking out of it for everyone to see and to further hurt our reputation as bow hunters.

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I never understood this drive to shoot ultra long distances either. What sets archery gear apart from gun hunting is the close quarters and the challenges it presents. I have a theories of what is going on. We have some TV personalities making shots like this and being successful (we think anyway). We now have a crossbow that shoots 3" groups at 100 yards. Compounds are as accurate as they ever were and their duping people into thinking that its the magic bullet for "extending your range" and they don't bother to preach that its the indian, not the bow.

12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Rifle hunting is experiencing the same issue- there's a carbontv channel that has a series dedicated to extreme long range big game hunting. It's ridiculous. You want to play Chris Kyle and clang steel at 1000 yards all day; be my guest. I'll probably even watch the show from time to time. But intentionally going out to use something like a .338 Lapua on mulies or elk or whatever at 6-800 yards? You're a GIANT DOOSH. That's right- a GIANT DOOSH.

It's one thing to find yourself in a situation where you have to make the decision on whether or not you have the skill and the right conditions to make a very long shot. It's another to intentionally forgo whatever else is in your bag of tricks to change the situation and make the shot closer, whether that be closing the distance yourself via a stalk; or calling/decoying the animal to come closer to you. But these GIANT DOUCHES see an animal at extreme distance and flop their pathetic peckers on the ground and pretend they are in Afghanistan or some crap and they're worried about getting to within the effective range of a 7.62x39 return fire. Pathetic.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    JasonOhio2018 likes this.
  13. Napper

Napper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live not far from there, but hunt up near Baldwin.

dnoodles likes this.
  14. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unrelated, but did you happen to see Dan Infalt rocking a busted rack shirt in this youtube video?

Justin likes this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The man has good taste in apparel.

Wiscohunter and dnoodles like this.
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    the man is a helluva hunter but I am pretty sure that's the only time anyone has ever said THAT about him.

Justin and Wiscohunter like this.