Single Pin vs Muti Pin

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WV Jess, Oct 20, 2018.

1. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this has been discussed multiple times probably but I have always used a 5 pin sight but really thinking about getting a single pin slider (Truglo Range Rover AC Lost Camo). I've always shied away from one because of having to adjust on the fly in a hunting situation but thought it would be awesome for 3-D and indoor shooting. I'm looking at the Truglo because it is a better price point if I ended up not liking it that much. Anyone who shoots both please chime in on here so I have a excuse to buy another toy to play with.

2. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to shoot a five pin and switched to a single last year. I’m never going back. What I do is normally keep it set at 20 or 25 hunting and hold slightly over or under depending on the distance, but I never have the chance to take shots over 40 yards where I live. It’s just a matter of getting used to seeing where your 25 yard marker hits at 40 and adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

early in likes this.
  3. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot 3 and 5 pin sights before made the switch to a MBG single probably 5 years back, and have been very happy. The only reason I ever see me changing would be for western hunts, and if i did that, I would get a new mbg adjustable in a 3 pin, and would likely have a single pin head to switch back to for whitetail at home.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WV Jess likes this.
  4. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the HHA multi pin sliders but the price is a little much for me. I know you pay for what you get but I just wanted to see if you guys have a "no looking back mentality" after using one so you guys have made decide to try one out this winter at the range and maybe upgrade if I like that much.

Parkerg31 likes this.
  5. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely have a "no looking back" mentality as far as stand hunting whitetails go. I could see the usefulness of multiple pins doing spot and stalk.

I've never used or really looked in to HHA but MBG is made in USA, lifetime warranty, and with either of them if you dont like it, I think you could sell it pretty quick

WV Jess likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a single pin and set the pin at 25 yards and never move it. I am comfortable and confident out to 45 yards but will probably shoot over 30 yards.

WV Jess likes this.
  7. okcaveman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say, dont make the mistake that I just made this morning. First time in 5 years, but I had been practicing at 50, neglected to check to make sure that I had readjusted, and shot right over a big hog. Always make sure your sight is adjusted

WV Jess likes this.
  8. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the HHA single pin for 12 years. The problem I had was I would get target panic when a deer would walk up. For example last year I had a buck come in at 30 run to 10 and then go back out to around 32. I’m not comfortable with all that hold over crap so I had to keep moving my site. Now I shoot a five pin site and you can just gap shoot between the pins to me that feels a lot safer. Also there are no moving parts which I like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shoot HHA for few years and switched to 4 pin... i can say is nothing better for me... single pin is more precise.. wanting to go back on single

10. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is exactly what is keeping me from going all in on a single pin. I kind of want one for 3-D and indoor, but at the same time I like to shoot with what I'm hunting with for confidence on those 30+ yard shots.

11. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could get 2 housings with the sight, thinking about doing that with my spot hogg. 3 pin for hunting then swap it out for the single pin for target.

WV Jess likes this.
  12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    you could get the best of both worlds and get a Fast Eddie XL 2 dot. It's a single pin but has 2 dots and there are two axis on the tape. It will vary depending on your set up but when mine is set with the top dot at 25 the second dot is 38. Don't think I'll ever need to move the slider in a normal deer hunting situation. Top dot shoots an inch or so high at 15-20 and maybe 3" low at 30. Shooting "the gap" is easy at the distances between the dot axis. If I'm not sure if he's 30 or 35, I just put the top dot at the spine and can see the bottom dot is at about the bottom of the heart. It's a kill shot anywhere in between those points.

For 3d, with this heavy arrow set up I can shoot anything out to 80 (with the bottom dot) before the bottom of the sight housing starts making contact with fletching. If I was shooting standard weight ~430gr I am sure I could stretch that out to something close to 100. It took some experimenting but I now know when the lower dot is set to 80, I can use the top of the sight level bubble for a 90 yard shot, and the bottom of the sight housing is good for 110. It comes with 2 different screw on sight apertures. A wide one and a smaller low profile one. I like the smaller one so I don't clip the fletching at extreme distance. Larger one pictured here but you get the idea of using the bubble and the bottom of the sight aperture to extend your range. Don't recommend doing that for animals but it'll do for the occasional long 3D shot if you practice. Another plus- the Spott Hogg .19 dots are the brightest dots I've ever had, bar none. I can see the top dot after legal shooting light for sure.

fast eddie example.JPG

dstouffer, muzzyman88 and WV Jess like this.
  13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started using a SH Fast Eddie Double pin this year. I changed to a single pin because my eyes are starting to show their age a bit and I just didn't like the clutter of multi pins anymore. They were too distracting and have started messing with my eyes.

I set mine at 25 yards. With that double fiber pin, the second pin falls at 40 yards. So I really don't have to touch the dial for almost all of my whitetail treestand shots out to 40. Now, if I have the time and can adjust for say a 35 yard shot, fine. If not, I can gap shoot or hold low with the 40. I think the double pin design is genius.

dnoodles and WV Jess like this.
  14. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love Spot Hogg sights. I used the Hogg-It Hunter for years until I sold the bow that it was on. I just hate spending that much cash on a slider sight I might not like. I'm planning on going to my bow shop soon to take a few shots with one before I make a final decision.

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since 2013 I have used single pin sights. I am tempted to try a fixed 4 or 5 pin this time. But I just really like the clean sight picture of a single pin.

WV Jess likes this.
  16. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I finally made it to the bow shop and shot a few rounds with a few different single pin sights. I think I'm going with a Spot Hogg this winter.Sight is built like a tank and already can attest to their quality from using them in the past. Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions. You all were a big help!

dnoodles likes this.