I’m already excited!

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by hunterman927, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been seeing plenty of does and younger bucks. Acorns and persimmons galore have made the October lull live up to its name. Going out tonight to check my cameras deep in the woods to see if my big bucks are roaming.

I will say, with all due respect and knowing the alternative can be catastrophic, in a corner of the internet that most Okies will not see.. I am getting tired of the rain. Lol.

Having split persimmon seeds and having them all show spoons I am excited about the possibility of a lot of snow and a hard winter.

TeamOkie918 likes this.
  2. TeamOkie918

TeamOkie918 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I concur on the rain statement. I'm right there with ya. I'm tired of it. And I'm not really digging the temps being all over the place. I wish we'd get a good cool front and it'd stay in the 50's for highs, so it feels like fall (and deer season) is actually here!

Okiebob likes this.
  3. mathewsmq1

mathewsmq1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the rain statement and I’m not digging what the temps doing either. I’m finally starting to see some nice bucks moving during the day, now I’m just waiting to see if the big bucks start moving during the day since I’ve only hunted that spot once this season!

I’m hoping we get a hard winter this year. That’s 1 thing I loved about Wisconsin was hunting in the snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    My time in the woods has been limited this year. A LOT more than I would like, but we're headed out to hunt this afternoon/evening. Hunting a new piece of land for us this year and patterning the deer has been more difficult that it even usually is. Still kid of figuring the land out. We didn't get access to this property until a couple weeks before the season opened, so there was no time for getting a food plot in (although I have found a spot that I am certain we WILL have one next year). Still, being out in the woods is my favorite place to be, so none of this is wasted time. Ya can't kill 'em form the couch, so I'm heading out anbd giving it a go again this afternoon. We did see a lot of sign last week on this property. The deer are there, and a lot of them at that. Now it's the ol' game of cat and mouse.

Good luck to anyone getting out this weekend. Has anyone put one on the ground and not kept us up to speed here?

Also, a buddy of mine in VA called and he said a taxidermist there that is his friend said a guy brought in a buck and it was obvious he was all rutted up. You guys have any predictions for the rut this year? I know last year it was a WEIRD year for the rut in NE Okla.

Okiebob likes this.
  5. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    Spent some time out in the deer woods this weekend. We finally got a better lay of the land and are starting to figure out how the deer like to move around this piece of land. Last evening, we had encounters with 3 different does, had a sighting of a doe and her fawn traveling through a small clearing about 45 yrds in front of a ground blind we were in for a bit, and had two other does we spotted about 55 yrds out in front of us in a different blind and on the opposite side of a watering hole from us. Total count, we saw 6 does and a fawn all within a little over 2 hours of sitting in two different blinds. I think the next thing to do is to get some corn or a mineral block out for them in close proximity to the watering hole / ground blind. Hopefully this coming week will see meat in the freezer. *fingers crossed*
    1026201802.jpeg image3.jpeg IMG_0079.jpeg IMG_0098.jpeg

6. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping to pass on a little bad luck while on doe patrol this evening.

IMG_0090.jpeg

7. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone seeing any signs of solid pre rut activity?

8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a little 8 point, maybe 125" seeking tonight. And 1 little spike came into the plot and ran a couple of does out. No big dudes yet. It's starting.

Also noticed a couple of road kill bucks on the side of I-35, they are starting to move.

TeamOkie918 likes this.
  9. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    So ,my dad, son and I headed out for an evening hunt yesterday. My son and I set up in a ground blind about 35 yrds to the southwest of a watering hole. We dropped a mineral block at 20 yrds in front of the blind a few days prior to this hunt. My dad decided to set up about 40 yrds directly east of us in a natural blind. We'd only been set up for about 15 mins when my son looked up and we had two does in front of us and off to our left a bit, and both were working towards the mineral block. At one point, I had one of the does broadside and at 22 yrds, but a bush was between her and I, and there just wasn't a chance to sneak a bolt through there....
    IMG_0633.jpeg

The two does ended up spending 70 mins, yeah I said SEVENTY out in front of all 3 of us at about 65 yrds, and one was so comfortable, she bedded down on the opposite side of the watering hole as her friend continued to feed. Eventually they moved off to the Northeast where my dad txt me that he could see a third doe down a trail and they were moving to meet up with her. Only about ten mins or so passed and I got a txt. "Deer to your left." Within a couple mins, two does came into view and the lead one was laser locked on the mineral block. Once she passed in front of the front window of the blind, at 10 yrd, I sent a bolt and double lunged her. She ran to the South, passed between us and my dad. As she made her escape I could see a fountain of blood pouring from the entry wound. She made it about 30 yrds and crashed, DRT. So as of last evening. I'm on the board for the 2018 season!!!
    IMG_0654.JPG IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0672.JPG

10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about taking off Friday through Tuesday. Should be perfect weather for sitting on the food plot. And the best part.. mosquitoes and gnats will all be dead. Last night I had a lot of buck activity, noses to the ground and roaming. Saw one nice 9 point 140", next years buck, come through chasing a doe.

11. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    My hypothesis is that the snow we're seeing today may keep them bedded down the majority of the day. Add to that, the weather forecast says clear and cold tomorrow, so I'm hoping that I can put another one in the dirt tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Anyone else gonna try to get out and hunt during the week?

12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out now. Barometric pressure at 30.33 and rising. Hoping when the storm clears they will move. Sitting over the food plot.

TeamOkie918 likes this.
  13. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    How did it work out for you @Okiebob ?

14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tested my cold weather gear, it works.. The wind never laid down and it kept snowing right up until 5pm. I'm heading back out around 10am and sitting all day. Should have went earlier this morning but I need to do a few things around the office. Current barometric pressure is 30.63, they should be moving!

15. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you go out this morning? Were they moving?

16. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't get out yesterday morning (too much adulting to do), but we did get out for an evening hunt. Didn't see anything! We never even saw a squirrel moving. It was almost eerie. I'm going to try to be out tomorrow evening. Crossing my fingers that it'll work out.

Wasn't a total bust though. It was some more good memories made with my ol' man

Okiebob likes this.
  17. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a lot if action sitting over the food plot for the last hour of light. 8 does, 3 fawns, a button and one rutty little fork. One of the does was a piebald.

Attached Files:

TeamOkie918 likes this.
  18. TeamOkie918

Dislikes Received:
    NICE! We'll be heading out tomorrow for another evening sit. Hoping to get the chance to lay another one down. It sure would be nice if a big buck surprised us. Still have yet to see one on this property, but there has to be a handful somewhere on this parcel.

I went through pics from yesterday's hunt. And while we didn't see any movement in the bitter cold (for some reason), I did get a shot that will be a memory and one to hang in my home office. of my dad.
    IMG_1059Small.jpg

early in and Okiebob like this.
  19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thursday is going to be the day or so I keep telling myself.. but the moon sign is good and I think that south wind will get the big boys moving.

TeamOkie918 likes this.
  20. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was at the newly remodeled Dept of Wildlife today. Place looks great! Screenshot_20181115-135114_Gallery.jpg

TeamOkie918 likes this.